Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
At least show me a piece of law that says no employee can fall in asleep in the office nor can they work overnight.
That's not what's being debated. You are just being difficult. Anyone who knows the first thing about zoning ordinances knows that certain zone districts and building types don't sleeping/living. There are zoning laws, fire codes, and leases that would most likely prohibit sleeping at a workplace. Besides, why would you want to ask your boss a question that basically says "My life is in shambles and I can't get it together"? Not that the OP is necessarily that bad off, but it really sends a bad message to your boss to basically tell him or her you are homeless. A homeless shelter would be a better option than that. Have you seen The Pursuit of Happyness?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM

131 posts, read 323,885 times
Quote:
"Not enough" was that she got fired for missing work. She didn't do enough to secure her job.

For the second job, and I quote:

"What sucks even more is that I was looking for another job the whole time, finally found one, it requires driving, (albeit no where near the same amount), but since the car just died, the offer I just got...is probably gone.

So, goody for me, I'm unemployed again."

Are you kidding me???!!! Please tell me that is enough effort again, thebunny?
I'm thinking that English is not your first language or something. You wouldn't take her post literally if you had English as a first language....or had any sense of sarcasm. Clearly, she is exhausted from playing catch up and weary of the fact that her efforts seemed to lead to a dead end. Of course, she will do anything she can to keep everything afloat. Why would you think otherwise?

And, no, biking 60 miles to work in rural terrain and begging your boss to let you sleep at work , is not a reasonable expectation.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,400,864 times
I had a friend who put her stuff in storage, got a gym membership, and basically, office camped for about a month, or two. She stayed late, no one noticed, she had her own office, she kept a pillow and thick pad, witha blanket.

Of course, this was a crazy, dysfunctional place to work, no one noticed. I know I could not get away with it at my job.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM

30,317 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Oy vey! A few replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is pretty much a story of someone living paycheck to paycheck, the real issue is that no money was saved, for this eventuality, a ten year old car won't last forever. It would have been better to get a newer car, and have a car payment, then throw money away on an older car.

Sad. This is a tragic tale. No car now, no job, and I bet, no unemployment, the expectation is that people come to work. You were terminated for cause.

A long commute is almost a no brainer, get out of it as soon as possible. I had a 130 mile commute in Florida, round trip, but I had the option of public transportation. I found a place close to my job within a month.

Sorry about all your drama. But it sort of seems like there was not a lot of forward thinking here. It looks like it was all reactive, impulsive thinking.
Considering how desperate I was for a full time job when this came along, you're right. There wasn't a lot of "forward thinking". My only "forward thinking" was, "this will keep paying the rent while I continue to look for other work." That was my plan. And it was the state job, not the Federal job.

Quote:
I just find it appalling that one would cry that she can't take the second job offer because she doesn't have a car.

OK, hard to believe.

I had no money when I had my first job offer 300 miles away. I used the job offer to secure a loan for a brand new car and I moved to a place that was 5 minutes away from the company. I was paid $35K in a country with a much higher tax rate - I get exactly $1200/month after all said and done.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.
You find it appalling that I can't take the second job offer that requires DRIVING because my car is DEAD and it needs a NEW ENGINE which costs at least $1200 which means it will be a bit of time before I get to do that. You're APPALLED that I would not LIE about my current state to them by NOT revealing to them that my car is DEAD and needs a NEW ENGINE that costs more than I have right now and just go ahead and take their money for the one week training instead of being honest and not ripping them off, because, essentially, if I know I cannot perform the job by the end of that week, I AM ripping them off.

You are APPALLED that I have morals and ethics? SERIOUSLY?! Because to me, regardless of what anyone else would do, I KNOW I will not have $1200 by the end of the week. And for me to go in to this PAID training for a week, KNOWING FULL WELL that I will NOT be able to perform the job functions is, essentially, stealing from them. I'm going to take their training and the money and split? If that is how YOU function, then you are not a good human being. I can look at myself in the mirror everyday and know that, while I hate to lose that opportunity, I did THE RIGHT THING BY BEING HONEST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I believe this was a federal job. That is bad karma, to blow a fed job. Almost no one gets fired after probation, and few get fired during probation. This was health insurance, a pension, more than just a pay check. And it blows future fed jobs.... Pretty much.

I don't think the OP really liked the job, but maybe something better will come along. BTW, I did unemployment eligibility for five years. And adjudication for benefits. So, I do know something about it.
It was a state job, not the Federal job. No, I didn't like the job but when we NEED a job, we don't always wait around for a job we like, we take whatever we can get. That's why I took that job.

Quote:
Please go back and read again. I never said "living." All I said was to stay overnight for a few days. Three would be the max.

Again, that was just an idea. If doesn't apply, then doesn't apply. Find a different way.
Three would be the max? So those three days, my car issues are over? Really? Never to return again? All I had to do was sleep at the "office", (I didn't work in an office!), and THAT WOULD HAVE SOLVED EVERYTHING? You should write a book. You have the secret to success: "Sleep at the office for three days."

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
here's what i would do:

1. swim to ireland
2. gather and dry some rushes from the bogs
3. weave the rushes into a working automobile
4. drive back across the ocean
5. go to work in the morning.

GOD the OP must be a total LOSER if she doesn't do something as simple as that! she'd only have to do it ONE TIME. i have personally done it 87 times, in the snow, uphill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You forgot the hand to hand combat with the shark on the way there.
I forgot they had to be dry and I fled from the combat with the shark. CLEARLY I was NOT trying hard enough NOR did I think ahead and plan for every single possible outcome that could ever happen to a single person on any given day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I can only offer sympathies. I've had sudden car problems recently too that although they didn't affect work they will financially affect me for the next couple of months. It's tough, and I'm pretty frugal. I will say my experience is sleeping in the office is never an option at my places of employment. There's liability and other legal issues, security issues, probation issues--what kind of office would give full access to its building to a new employee after hours? Very few.

Moving forward, I would look around to finding options to board the pets somehow, somewhere while searching for a new job and settling into it for a period thereafter. If you have to rent a cheap room in a house closer to job centers, you have to do it, and it's easier with no pets.
I won't get in to details but I have been in contact with some places for the "just in case scenario" should everything go down the drain. I would prefer to figure out what to do, WITH WHAT I HAVE NOW, and make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am pretty sure it was a state job, not federal.

I also do not think it was an office type job. I got the distinct feeling from her posts about it that it is something that is dangerous, difficult for the state to fill the position, and that it is the type of workplace where it is a given that not all people end up staying because of the nature of the work, not the type of place where you have to be a total idiot and jerk to lose the job. If the job is what I **think** it is, I would not even have applied for it, let alone lasted months doing it. I couldn't have. She has guts for even trying.
You are probably right. I make a point not to share what I did for privacy reasons but I have to admit, it is fun watching people speculate and assume what they think my life was like because they sit in a nice, comfy office chair.

Bunny...thank you. I appreciate your words. You are a tough cookie who gives no excuses and I know you would have thrown them at me immediately. I'm glad that you understand. And no, I will not be revealing all here just so the likes of lifeexplorer can figure it out. I'll just let him type snottily from his keyboard with his all knowing wisdom he thinks he possesses.

Someone mentioned some work that people can do...I will say this. Another poster, instead of being rude about it, DMed me and gave me some places to look. I have applied at quite a few of them. I don't know if I'll be accepted but I have been applying. And it gave me hope. And hope is what someone needs right now, not some arrogant pr*** looking down their nose at everyone else. Armchair career counselors need to put the argyle socks and pipe away. We are human beings, we are fallible, we are not cardboard cut outs.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,154,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's not what's being debated. You are just being difficult. Anyone who knows the first thing about zoning ordinances knows that certain zone districts and building types don't sleeping/living. There are zoning laws, fire codes, and leases that would most likely prohibit sleeping at a workplace. Besides, why would you want to ask your boss a question that basically says "My life is in shambles and I can't get it together"? Not that the OP is necessarily that bad off, but it really sends a bad message to your boss to basically tell him or her you are homeless. A homeless shelter would be a better option than that. Have you seen The Pursuit of Happyness?
This is exactly right. People have been let go for revealing they don't have a place to live. As sad as it sounds. This sleeping at the office creates legal liability anyway. As far as the shelters go, I know in large cities they can be absolute hell. Violence, unsanitary conditions, theft of what little a person has left and mistreatment by staff-Many who were formerly homeless themselves. Small towns or medium size towns might be better, not sure. I think regardless it should be an an absolute last resort. The last few years have seen an increase in whole families entering and the shelters themselves can often be overcrowded. People are interviewed and they go as far as asking if a person has any sexual partners they could stay with if no family is mentioned. It sucks.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,400,864 times
I wish you luck. You seem to be in a really negative cycle. Been there.

I suppose, that going up from here is where you will go. Sending you positive energy.

Some people don't get what being fully independent is all about, especially when you have had some tough breaks. People may be judgemental, having not realizing, that sometimes it is about luck.

That being said, there is something I read about recently, called '' transition fatigue'', when you have a lot of immediate changes, positive or negative, it is easy to be overwhelmed, and not think real clearly, that may have been part of your problem.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Having a car was a stipulation of my job. With training, I probably could have survived 6 weeks without one, riding with my trainers. I wonder if you told your boss you were temporarily w/o a car, what they'd say.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,594,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oy vey! A few replies:

You find it appalling that I can't take the second job offer that requires DRIVING because my car is DEAD and it needs a NEW ENGINE which costs at least $1200 which means it will be a bit of time before I get to do that. You're APPALLED that I would not LIE about my current state to them by NOT revealing to them that my car is DEAD and needs a NEW ENGINE that costs more than I have right now and just go ahead and take their money for the one week training instead of being honest and not ripping them off, because, essentially, if I know I cannot perform the job by the end of that week, I AM ripping them off.

You are APPALLED that I have morals and ethics? SERIOUSLY?! Because to me, regardless of what anyone else would do, I KNOW I will not have $1200 by the end of the week. And for me to go in to this PAID training for a week, KNOWING FULL WELL that I will NOT be able to perform the job functions is, essentially, stealing from them. I'm going to take their training and the money and split? If that is how YOU function, then you are not a good human being. I can look at myself in the mirror everyday and know that, while I hate to lose that opportunity, I did THE RIGHT THING BY BEING HONEST!
Look, Three Wolves in Snow, there are other means to get to work besides using a car. Public transportation, bicycle, walk, etc. A lot of my coworkers ride bus every day. A few live close enough and they walk. Some bike to work.

It is entirely possible for you to look for a place close to your new company and bike to work prior to the start date with the new company.

Many places don't need first and last months rent. For those do, you may be able to negotiate with the land lord, particularly when you have the offer letter in hand.

As for your broken car, I don't know what you want to do but personally I would trade it in for a new one. With your new job offer and last three pay check, you should be able to get a new one.

Just because you don't have a car, you can still show up to work.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Look, Three Wolves in Snow, there are other means to get to work besides using a car. Public transportation, bicycle, walk, etc. A lot of my coworkers ride bus every day. A few live close enough and they walk. Some bike to work.

It is entirely possible for you to look for a place close to your new company and bike to work prior to the start date with the new company.

Many places don't need first and last months rent. For those do, you may be able to negotiate with the land lord, particularly when you have the offer letter in hand.

As for your broken car, I don't know what you want to do but personally I would trade it in for a new one. With your new job offer and last three pay check, you should be able to get a new one.

Just because you don't have a car, you can still show up to work.
Why do you not get that it isn't about getting TO work, it is about driving FOR work. Driving her car is part of the job.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,938,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oy vey! A few replies:

Considering how desperate I was for a full time job when this came along, you're right. There wasn't a lot of "forward thinking". My only "forward thinking" was, "this will keep paying the rent while I continue to look for other work." That was my plan. And it was the state job, not the Federal job.

It was a state job, not the Federal job. No, I didn't like the job but when we NEED a job, we don't always wait around for a job we like, we take whatever we can get. That's why I took that job.

Three would be the max? So those three days, my car issues are over? Really? Never to return again? All I had to do was sleep at the "office", (I didn't work in an office!), and THAT WOULD HAVE SOLVED EVERYTHING? You should write a book. You have the secret to success: "Sleep at the office for three days."

I forgot they had to be dry and I fled from the combat with the shark. CLEARLY I was NOT trying hard enough NOR did I think ahead and plan for every single possible outcome that could ever happen to a single person on any given day.

I won't get in to details but I have been in contact with some places for the "just in case scenario" should everything go down the drain. I would prefer to figure out what to do, WITH WHAT I HAVE NOW, and make it.

You are probably right. I make a point not to share what I did for privacy reasons but I have to admit, it is fun watching people speculate and assume what they think my life was like because they sit in a nice, comfy office chair.

Bunny...thank you. I appreciate your words. You are a tough cookie who gives no excuses and I know you would have thrown them at me immediately. I'm glad that you understand. And no, I will not be revealing all here just so the likes of lifeexplorer can figure it out. I'll just let him type snottily from his keyboard with his all knowing wisdom he thinks he possesses.

Someone mentioned some work that people can do...I will say this. Another poster, instead of being rude about it, DMed me and gave me some places to look. I have applied at quite a few of them. I don't know if I'll be accepted but I have been applying. And it gave me hope. And hope is what someone needs right now, not some arrogant pr*** looking down their nose at everyone else. Armchair career counselors need to put the argyle socks and pipe away. We are human beings, we are fallible, we are not cardboard cut outs.
I'm pulling for you, Three Wolves. If you can't find a ride from a neighbor,co-worker, Concord Trailways or Cyr Buslines, etc, then call your employer and explain your situation. Something can be worked out, for the good of all parties...

Last edited by MassVt; 05-19-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment