Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 05:55 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,419,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I had no money when I had my first job offer 300 miles away. I used the job offer to secure a loan for a brand new car and I moved to a place that was 5 minutes away from the company. I was paid $35K in a country with a much higher tax rate - I get exactly $1200/month after all said and done.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.
How could you have no money? Are you that irresponsible to not have saved? And don't you know how irresponsible it is to borrow money for a brand new car when you're broke? Why couldn't you get a job locally and not 300 miles away? Why didn't you just sleep at work and then you wouldn't have to have the car payment at all?

How does the nitpicking feel when its directed at you?

Bye bye, now.

2,963 posts, read 5,469,013 times
I can only offer sympathies. I've had sudden car problems recently too that although they didn't affect work they will financially affect me for the next couple of months. It's tough, and I'm pretty frugal. I will say my experience is sleeping in the office is never an option at my places of employment. There's liability and other legal issues, security issues, probation issues--what kind of office would give full access to its building to a new employee after hours? Very few.

Moving forward, I would look around to finding options to board the pets somehow, somewhere while searching for a new job and settling into it for a period thereafter. If you have to rent a cheap room in a house closer to job centers, you have to do it, and it's easier with no pets.

16,408 posts, read 33,389,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I believe this was a federal job. That is bad karma, to blow a fed job. Almost no one gets fired after probation, and few get fired during probation. This was health insurance, a pension, more than just a pay check. And it blows future fed jobs.... Pretty much.

I don't think the OP really liked the job, but maybe something better will come along. BTW, I did unemployment eligibility for five years. And adjudication for benefits. So, I do know something about it.
I am pretty sure it was a state job, not federal.

I also do not think it was an office type job. I got the distinct feeling from her posts about it that it is something that is dangerous, difficult for the state to fill the position, and that it is the type of workplace where it is a given that not all people end up staying because of the nature of the work, not the type of place where you have to be a total idiot and jerk to lose the job. If the job is what I **think** it is, I would not even have applied for it, let alone lasted months doing it. I couldn't have. She has guts for even trying.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,630,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
here's what i would do:

1. swim to ireland
2. gather and dry some rushes from the bogs
3. weave the rushes into a working automobile
4. drive back across the ocean
5. go to work in the morning.

GOD the OP must be a total LOSER if she doesn't do something as simple as that! she'd only have to do it ONE TIME. i have personally done it 87 times, in the snow, uphill.
Very classic of being totally ridiculous!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,630,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
How could you have no money? Are you that irresponsible to not have saved? And don't you know how irresponsible it is to borrow money for a brand new car when you're broke? Why couldn't you get a job locally and not 300 miles away? Why didn't you just sleep at work and then you wouldn't have to have the car payment at all?

Bye bye, now.
I was a student. I saved about $100 a month at the time. :-) After I got the job, I saved about $300 a month.

Your nitpicking doesn't bother me. I managed my situation well and never had any issues. :-)

Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,419,159 times
Quote:
I was a student. I saved about $100 a month at the time. :-)
Then why did you say you had no money?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM

131 posts, read 324,375 times
Quote:
Very classic of being totally ridiculous!!!
..so, you still have not caught on that you are the one being totally ridiculous? I'll say no more.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
here's what i would do:

1. swim to ireland
2. gather and dry some rushes from the bogs
3. weave the rushes into a working automobile
4. drive back across the ocean
5. go to work in the morning.

GOD the OP must be a total LOSER if she doesn't do something as simple as that! she'd only have to do it ONE TIME. i have personally done it 87 times, in the snow, uphill.
Aha! Now I know who you are, MacGyver! Don't forget your Swiss Army knife and your duct tape!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:03 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,711,992 times
Quote:
Nothing illegal unless the employer flat out ban such activity i.e staying in the office over night.

I wish my company bans that!!!
it is illegal. it's a code and zoning issue, and if the space is rented, any commercial lease will say you can't sleep there overnight.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

Bye bye, now.
Exactly! He must have been raised by rabid wolverines, not humans! It is amazing he is still alive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment