Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 PM

30,317 posts, read 23,800,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Good luck, Three Wolves. Whenever you get out of this situation, up the road, I'd relo to a more populated area. My best friend who died of cancer a few years back moved to Maine for the last 3 years, and she shared the new job is too far away issue. The most common problem on this board that seems to permeate is being in depopulated regions needing new jobs.

So I'm rooting for a terrific outcome for you first, but long-term, after that occurs, get back to a more populated region.
Yes. If I had stayed two hours south, I'd be having a whole hell of a lot more luck right now. I LIKE where I live but yes, you are right and it is something I've thought about. It shouldn't be this damn difficult to find decent work but where it's more rural, even though I do live in a "city", (lol), it's not that easy.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,927,782 times
Why did you move from South Florida? If you desired moving, why not to an affortable city with plenty of jobs, such as Houston, Atlanta, etc.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
This may or may not apply to your situation, but years ago, something similar happened to me. I was so close to a job I worked so hard for... And was rejected, because I told the truth about some stupid, one night, random use of drugs, with a friend. Lost a huge job. More money, it was crushing.

I moved on. I often wondered if I should have lied. I don't lie, and never even crossed my mind that my application would be tossed for telling the truth. So much for that.

Now, I have a better job. Still wish I had the job I wanted... You will end up okay. Hard to see that from where you are.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,403,547 times
I have faith in TWIS...she has been down before, but when it counted, she was not out. I know this will happen this time. I just know it.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times
Apologies. I didn't realize that your job requires you to drive to visit different clients. I thought you were only trying to get to work.

That was my misunderstanding and I am sorry about causing all the argument.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,994,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yes. If I had stayed two hours south, I'd be having a whole hell of a lot more luck right now. I LIKE where I live but yes, you are right and it is something I've thought about. It shouldn't be this damn difficult to find decent work but where it's more rural, even though I do live in a "city", (lol), it's not that easy.
No problem. I told my friend before she accepted the job that was the reason she moved to Maine, she was making a mistake, because if it did not work out, her ability to get a similar position was remote. Unfortunately, I was right.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM

30,317 posts, read 23,800,844 times
It is official. My car needs a new engine. It is not covered by a 10/100,000 warranty. I do not have a car now. Or at least not for awhile. For a long while, it would appear. And the bus system here is...I'm not sure one could even call that a bus system.

So, if all of those jobs working from home, (no, not scams, actual jobs), do not pan out, I'm #$&**! Like...badly. Because there is no other way to get a job without a car. NONE.

My price ranges between salvaged to brand new: $800 and change + shipping all the way up to $2500.

This does not include labor.

Because the timing belt was not broken, they think it may just be wear and tear, things wearing out and something came off, smacked around inside and sheered the spark plugs. (Turns out they were sheered, not melted.)

Gee, I wonder if that f-en 16,000 miles I drove for that #$$&*! job had anything to do with THAT?!

Damnit!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,503,218 times
Sorry TWIS sometimes life isn't fair and it just sucks. Wow less than 80k on that engine and it craps out. Haven't seen that before.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,338,048 times
May have missed this, as it's a long thread, but do you have a lot of debts right now? Being unemployed isn't the worst thing in the world that can happen to you; it's when you have no income, no savings, and tons of bills to pay that life gets really, really hard.

Working from home jobs....check out craigslist. Sometimes you can find some temporary or short-term jobs that will spring you some cash. Better yet, it can give you some ideas about things you might not have thought about doing (legal of course ). Sometimes, in situations like this, I find it's good just to sit down and think - think long and hard about anything I can do that someone else might want from me.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,335,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It is official. My car needs a new engine. It is not covered by a 10/100,000 warranty. I do not have a car now. Or at least not for awhile. For a long while, it would appear. And the bus system here is...I'm not sure one could even call that a bus system.

So, if all of those jobs working from home, (no, not scams, actual jobs), do not pan out, I'm #$&**! Like...badly. Because there is no other way to get a job without a car. NONE.

My price ranges between salvaged to brand new: $800 and change + shipping all the way up to $2500.

This does not include labor.

Because the timing belt was not broken, they think it may just be wear and tear, things wearing out and something came off, smacked around inside and sheered the spark plugs. (Turns out they were sheered, not melted.)

Gee, I wonder if that f-en 16,000 miles I drove for that #$$&*! job had anything to do with THAT?!

Damnit!
If I come across anything work at home that looks real, not scam, I will DM it to you.

Too bad you don't live around me. We have great public transportation and I can always find free or cheap cars. I swear I helped someone get a free running car a few weeks ago. He was having trouble with his and was facing a big repair and asked me if I knew anyone who had one for cheap. I thought of a car I saw sitting in my EX-BIL's driveway. Made a phone call and found out the car was in running order, but EX-BIL was using another one and had no time to sell that as he was working late in the city plus he was trying to move house so he just wanted to get rid of the car before he moved. So he gave the car away for free. My own brother also always has a knack for finding cars (as he has a penchant for wrecking them, this is good). My BIL just bought 2 new cars and gave one of his old ones to his brother for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment