Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times

Advertisements

I'm always a two vehicle person so if one vehicle breaks down I have the other one to go to work. You problem is you don't rely on family to help you, you have pets when you're about to go homeless, and you chose a poor car to rely on, - a crappy quality Kia Rio. You also don't have a credit card to buy a car on, and you don't use credit cards responsibly.

Right now you should apply to the nearest public aid for food stamps and whatever help you can get.

And 65 miles is too far of a drive to work. The most I ever drove was 43 miles I think. Now you should get a bicycle and apply to local jobs if you can.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:14 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
There's nothing wrong with driving a Kia Rio, and not everyone can afford to have two vehicles. I'm low income, have one vehicle, and have pets. I don't rely on family to help me, because I disowned them long ago. I don't have credit cards, and don't want them. I paid cash for my Astrovan, and pay cash for any repairs that need to be done to it, and I have a mechanic that doesn't cheat people.

I get food stamps ($62/month), and that's the only aid that I get. I don't qualify for anything else, and don't want it. But I agree, 65 miles is to far of a drive to work. I have two part-time jobs, and try to take public transportation to work whenever possible to save on gas, and when I do drive, it's under 10 miles one way.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What is everyone always saying on these boards? You are an idiot to pass up a job just because the commute might be longer. Did you not read that it took almost two years to find a fricken full time job here? I took it because it was full time, and I thought I would just have to be tired because of the commute. I was going to "DEAL" with it, suck it up, it's a job.

Everything went to the crapper when things started falling apart on the car...something I did not think about and at that point in time, didn't have TIME to think about because I was in serious need of a full
But you are willing to give it up for such a small car problem without putting up a fight.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:09 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There's nothing wrong with driving a Kia Rio, and not everyone can afford to have two vehicles. I'm low income, have one vehicle, and have pets. I don't rely on family to help me, because I disowned them long ago. I don't have credit cards, and don't want them. I paid cash for my Astrovan, and pay cash for any repairs that need to be done to it, and I have a mechanic that doesn't cheat people.

I get food stamps ($62/month), and that's the only aid that I get. I don't qualify for anything else, and don't want it. But I agree, 65 miles is to far of a drive to work. I have two part-time jobs, and try to take public transportation to work whenever possible to save on gas, and when I do drive, it's under 10 miles one way.
LOL...I have a Kia by choice. I want to spend money on entertainment, etc so I have the most economical vehicle I was willing to drive.

That said,

TWIS I am so sorry this happened to you. I know how hard you have struggled to get the job you have, and how very afraid you were that you were going to lose everything. I have no platitudes for you on this, please just know I wish you the best. And as the economy is better now, in a lot of ways, than it was a few years ago, I am hopeful that will factor in to your search this time.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,351 times
TWIS I am sorry this is happening to you, that being said, are you sure you don't want to just swallow your pride and ask a friend for help? Anyone who has the means to help you? You sound like the type of person who would be good for the money so I'm sure someone who could help would!

Trade in the car at a used dealer for whatever they will give you, and drive off with the cheapest used car that WORKS. That should straighten you out until you get back on your feet.

*hugs* I'm praying things work out in your favor.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:46 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
For what it is worth, I have had conversations with TWIS off the threads...and she IS the type to have already planned and tried everything that she could have....I understand it is easy to think she is throwing up obstacles, but I am confident she is not. She REALLY is where she is stating she is in this. I guess I am just feeling the need to come to her defense after reading this thread.

As nutty and crazy as it sounds, I am guessing that she has already tried all of the things people are mentioning, and has asked most of the same questions.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:27 AM

136 posts, read 305,060 times
If I were you I would seek out government help ASAP. This is why the social safety nets in place for situations like this. That should buy you some time to think about your next steps.

Some things to consider:

1 - how much we're you really making from your last job? It seems if you factor in the commute, and all the extra driving time, you weren't making much. As you search for your next job, think about all of these costs. Unless they're paying you a fortune and your living arrangement is shirt term, there is no reason to be driving that far to work.
2- if you truly have nothing, think of it as a positive. There is nothing keeping you from relocating to the location that is best for your future. There are certain areas in this country that are economically booming - I recall reading an article recently about a town in Montana where essentially overnight it has become a town with a median income over 100k (I'm probably overstating but you get the point). Think about moving there. Even if you don't currently have training to work in that field, you could learn when you get there with an entry level job. The point is you may have a great opportunity that you just need to seize.
3 - PLAN. Take the government assistance and use it as an opportunity to not have to worry about necessities for a couple of months so that you can think about where you're headed. Too often we live day by day and don't think about where we are headed. Take this as an opportunity to plan where's you want to be.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But you are willing to give it up for such a small car problem without putting up a fight.
Do you have reading comprehension issues? I didn't "give it up", I got f-en FIRED for missing too many days because of the damn car issues!

And it's not, "such a small car issue". Right now, my fricken spark plugs are melted! All of them! What is "minor" about that?!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinivedivichi View Post
If I were you I would seek out government help ASAP. This is why the social safety nets in place for situations like this. That should buy you some time to think about your next steps.

Some things to consider:

1 - how much we're you really making from your last job? It seems if you factor in the commute, and all the extra driving time, you weren't making much. As you search for your next job, think about all of these costs. Unless they're paying you a fortune and your living arrangement is shirt term, there is no reason to be driving that far to work.
2- if you truly have nothing, think of it as a positive. There is nothing keeping you from relocating to the location that is best for your future. There are certain areas in this country that are economically booming - I recall reading an article recently about a town in Montana where essentially overnight it has become a town with a median income over 100k (I'm probably overstating but you get the point). Think about moving there. Even if you don't currently have training to work in that field, you could learn when you get there with an entry level job. The point is you may have a great opportunity that you just need to seize.
3 - PLAN. Take the government assistance and use it as an opportunity to not have to worry about necessities for a couple of months so that you can think about where you're headed. Too often we live day by day and don't think about where we are headed. Take this as an opportunity to plan where's you want to be.
Yes, in hindsight, you are right. Hindsight is 20/20. As I said, when I took the job, I was in no position to be picky about commutes. I needed a full time job, this came up, I took it. I had planned on moving closer to the job but apparently my car had other plans.

And you are correct, in summary, I ended up not making a fricken thing. I drove almost 16,000 miles since the day I started that job and all the money I made, if it didn't go to rent, it went to gas and car repairs. So I was really just working to keep getting to work. No, that's not a good way to live. But again, I had hope that things would work out, just keep going to the job, just keep at it. Just fricken do it. And for about a month, things were going well. I thought it was all behind me.

I was wrong.

For food stamps, they go by what you have made in the last three months. I do not qualify for food stamps. I have no children. I do not have a disability. I do not qualify for any other type of assistance that this state has, that I am aware of.

I have filed for unenjoyment but who knows if I'll get it.

To move, it means I need money. I have money to pay rent for June. Then what?

If I can get unenjoyment, then I will stop stressing for a minute while I look. I just don't know if I'll get the assistance since I got canned. It wasn't...I forget what they call it but if you didn't get fired for something major or serious or would cause "harm" or something like that, you might qualify so I tried. (Which...I can't even believe I am in the position that I felt the need to apply. This is unreal.) But, it was a job with the state. Who the heck knows if I'll get a dime. But yes, if I were to actually get some help, I would do just as you said in #3.

beera: Oh and as for asking friends for help, it's not a matter of pride, it's a matter of respect. I respect them too much to beg from them. They know what the situation is. If they want to help out, they will.

As it stands, one friend is helping, in a way, with the car. She is having her own family members and a neighbor looking at the car and IF they can fix it, they will. I will have to pay for parts and pay them, but it will be much less than at a mechanic. (And yes, they do know what they are doing.)

As for trading it in, if it doesn't work, doesn't drive, (not even limpable), I don't know that a dealer is going to take it. But I've been discussing this on the Automotive forum and even if it needed a new engine, that is so much cheaper than an entirely different car.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 05-19-2013 at 04:34 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm always a two vehicle person so if one vehicle breaks down I have the other one to go to work. You problem is you don't rely on family to help you, you have pets when you're about to go homeless, and you chose a poor car to rely on, - a crappy quality Kia Rio. You also don't have a credit card to buy a car on, and you don't use credit cards responsibly.

Right now you should apply to the nearest public aid for food stamps and whatever help you can get.

And 65 miles is too far of a drive to work. The most I ever drove was 43 miles I think. Now you should get a bicycle and apply to local jobs if you can.
As was stated, not everyone has the luxury of living with grandma and spending their money on cars and clothing. Some of us do not have family to rely on.

I've had my pets for quite some time, so?

My "crappy" Kia Rio has given me NO issues for almost 10 years until this past winter. Can you say that about either of your two vehicles?

No, I don't have a credit card...so how can I be irresponsible with credit cards if I don't have one?!

The story you have twisted around was from when I was in my 20s, not now. That was quite some time ago. I WAS responsible with them, paid them on time, etc until some chowder head came at me head on. AS I stated, once I got myself out of that whole fricken nightmare, I got rid of the credit cards. I do not see that as being, "irresponsible" but you keep looking down from your pedestal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment