Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,697,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Daily rate..I'm not living in a flea infested hotel with pimps and drug addicts.
never mind that living at a daily or weekly rate place is WAY more expensive that having an apartment. you just need more money up front to get an apartment.

this is how people end up spiraling into poverty. having less money up front means you have to pay more for basically every necessity in life. most people who say "oh just buck up and try harder" have never dealt with real poverty. since i know someone will chime in with "people shouldn't just give up", obviously people should try to get out of it and live on less and sometimes that works, but it's not always possible, even when you make all the right choices.

i don't know what to tell you, twis, but good luck. i hope things work out for you. and if thebunny, of all people, is saying you've acted responsibly and exhausted all options, i think that's a pretty good sign that you really have.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,929,750 times
It is irresponsible to have credit cards and carry balances. It is however, very responsible, to have credit cards, pay the balances off EVERY single month, and use them for emergencies, like you need to pay $$$$, when you have only $$ in cash.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,023,852 times
TWIS I really hope your friend is able to help with the car repair! I'm sure you have exhausted all avenues you can and are living as frugally as possible. It stinks that job fired you because of something that happened through no fault of your own. I mean to me, someone commuting over 100 miles a day shows dedication! Surely they could have given you a week or two of unpaid leave to sort things out! SMH...

Anyways, I pray something better comes along for you and that a job close to home comes up, don't underestimate the power of craigslist, I found an amazing job there with a wonderful company.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,609,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
never mind that living at a daily or weekly rate place is WAY more expensive that having an apartment. you just need more money up front to get an apartment.

this is how people end up spiraling into poverty. having less money up front means you have to pay more for basically every necessity in life. most people who say "oh just buck up and try harder" have never dealt with real poverty. since i know someone will chime in with "people shouldn't just give up", obviously people should try to get out of it and live on less and sometimes that works, but it's not always possible, even when you make all the right choices.

i don't know what to tell you, twis, but good luck. i hope things work out for you. and if thebunny, of all people, is saying you've acted responsibly and exhausted all options, i think that's a pretty good sign that you really have.
Living in a place with daily rate is just temporary. A few days at the most.

Look, this nowhere near to be a problem. Getting fired for car problem is entirely your own fault - your own mismanagement.

By the way, you have a second job offer. Why aren't you hunting for a close place to stay for the second job? Why are you willing to give it up already?

I am not insensitive but this is really a non-issue. If you are talking about you were in ICU or got debilitating cancer, then yes, it's a big issue.

Never ever give up! You get shot, you fight on! Failure is not an option!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,664,327 times
PP is out of touch. OP's scenario is "not a problem?" A problem doesn't count if you aren't on death's door? Please, do not pursue a career in counseling.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,609,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
PP is out of touch. OP's scenario is "not a problem?" A problem doesn't count if you aren't on death's door? Please, do not pursue a career in counseling.
It's not a problem if there's solution. Willingness to take the solution is the real problem.

Personally, if I were her, I would camp in the office until I find a location to live. I would take the bus, train, bike etc. to get to the office tonight so that I won't miss work tomorrow and won't get fired.

That's what I would do.

You know I am a immigrant, legal of course. I have no family or relatives in USA. If I am in such need, I still have friends that I can call to take me to work so that I won't get fired for missing work.

For her to say "I got fired because my car broke down too many times and I missed too much work", it is not a good answer. I can accept it for the first few times but once she got a warning, she should have immediately built a contingency plan - it is her life on the line here and her pets' life.

Oh, just because you don't have a car now, you can't go to the new job? Give me a break!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,170,969 times
This thread seems to swing to extremes.

What should be, Either theoretically or otherwise is irrelevant. The OP has an issue directly related to the vehicle right now. This presents a potential major upheaval in her life that is very stressful due to it impacting her job and having to move house. The focus should be on possible solutions, Or a contingency plan of some sort. No, I do not have the answers. Point is, The "I told you so" does nothing. It's pointless. I can relate somewhat because I was in a bad position once and found myself without a place to stay. It's the worst feeling you can imagine. You never forget it, believe me. Not everyone has a plan of every conceivable situation in life and some have family to fall back on. I did not, The OP stated she does not either. Some empathy would be nice at least. Seriously.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,697,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Personally, if I were her, I would camp in the office until I find a location to live. I would take the bus, train, bike etc. to get to the office tonight so that I won't miss work tomorrow and won't get fired.
you would ride your bike 65 miles each way.

you would take a bus and a train that likely don't exist. this is maine we're talking about, right?

you would live in the office, which i'm SURE your bosses would be totally cool with.

great solutions!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,355,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yes, in hindsight, you are right. Hindsight is 20/20. As I said, when I took the job, I was in no position to be picky about commutes. I needed a full time job, this came up, I took it. I had planned on moving closer to the job but apparently my car had other plans.

And you are correct, in summary, I ended up not making a fricken thing. I drove almost 16,000 miles since the day I started that job and all the money I made, if it didn't go to rent, it went to gas and car repairs. So I was really just working to keep getting to work. No, that's not a good way to live. But again, I had hope that things would work out, just keep going to the job, just keep at it. Just fricken do it. And for about a month, things were going well. I thought it was all behind me.

I was wrong.

For food stamps, they go by what you have made in the last three months. I do not qualify for food stamps. I have no children. I do not have a disability. I do not qualify for any other type of assistance that this state has, that I am aware of.

I have filed for unenjoyment but who knows if I'll get it.

To move, it means I need money. I have money to pay rent for June. Then what?

If I can get unenjoyment, then I will stop stressing for a minute while I look. I just don't know if I'll get the assistance since I got canned. It wasn't...I forget what they call it but if you didn't get fired for something major or serious or would cause "harm" or something like that, you might qualify so I tried. (Which...I can't even believe I am in the position that I felt the need to apply. This is unreal.) But, it was a job with the state. Who the heck knows if I'll get a dime. But yes, if I were to actually get some help, I would do just as you said in #3.

beera: Oh and as for asking friends for help, it's not a matter of pride, it's a matter of respect. I respect them too much to beg from them. They know what the situation is. If they want to help out, they will.

As it stands, one friend is helping, in a way, with the car. She is having her own family members and a neighbor looking at the car and IF they can fix it, they will. I will have to pay for parts and pay them, but it will be much less than at a mechanic. (And yes, they do know what they are doing.)

As for trading it in, if it doesn't work, doesn't drive, (not even limpable), I don't know that a dealer is going to take it. But I've been discussing this on the Automotive forum and even if it needed a new engine, that is so much cheaper than an entirely different car.
People are second guessing, but you did what you had to do. You did not have FT employment in 2 years. You live in a rural state. Sometimes people in these areas have to go far for work. Your car had 62K on it and you had taken care of the car and owned it since it was new. It's not like it was a hoopty you bought used with over 100K on it. If I was in your situation, I would have done the same.

I agree with you about the "go on welfare" suggestions. If you don't have kids, you get nothing. The welfare system is set up for people with kids. Why do you think they call it "Temporary Assistance to Needy Families?" People who suggest that should go down to the welfare office and get a dose of reality. If you were pregnant, they'd hand you the keys to the kingdom even if you were an illegal alien with no ID, but of course you aren't the type to get pregnant to get benefits. (Although there are many women who are.)

Considering unemployment, I remembered a post you wrote about the weird practices in Maine awhile back and looked it up:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/26200339-post105.html

Are you done with that intermittent government job you said before prevents you from getting UI?

Considering the car, I hope those people can help you because you already sunk so much money into the car it would be hard to start over with another one. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Sometimes dealers DO take dead cars as trade-ins. The other night I actually saw a local TV commercial with a dealer saying, "Push, pull or tow it in, we will give you $3,500 in trade in for your junk car!" the other night. At any rate, a car is worth a couple hundred just for the scrap metal, at least around here.

Keeping my fingers crossed you get the paperwork in for the new job on time and the car issue resolves itself while you do the 40 hour course you have to do before the new job starts. I am sorry you are under so much stress, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not the train coming to hit you)!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,355,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This thread seems to swing to extremes.

What should be, Either theoretically or otherwise is irrelevant. The OP has an issue directly related to the vehicle right now. This presents a potential major upheaval in her life that is very stressful due to it impacting her job and having to move house. The focus should be on possible solutions, Or a contingency plan of some sort. No, I do not have the answers. Point is, The "I told you so" does nothing. It's pointless. I can relate somewhat because I was in a bad position once and found myself without a place to stay. It's the worst feeling you can imagine. You never forget it, believe me. Not everyone has a plan of every conceivable situation in life and some have family to fall back on. I did not, The OP stated she does not either. Some empathy would be nice at least. Seriously.
Exactly! Things happen to all of us. Then we need a plan to set them right. We can learn from the past, but we cannot predict the future, nor can we ensure that nothing bad or inconvenient will ever happen to us again. That's life. Harping on people and picking them apart with the "you shouda, you coulda" is not the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.