Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,402,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
She said she had another offer.
Correct. One that she got last week...after looking for quite a while.

So, get new job to pay bills, keep new job until something better comes along. This is what we would advise someone in her position. To take the full time job and look for something better, length of commute be darned, as it is a full time job. Yet, when OP does it, somehow even though you have told people to suck it up and do what it takes, somehow her doing so is not enough.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I believe this was a federal job. That is bad karma, to blow a fed job. Almost no one gets fired after probation, and few get fired during probation. This was health insurance, a pension, more than just a pay check. And it blows future fed jobs.... Pretty much.

I don't think the OP really liked the job, but maybe something better will come along. BTW, I did unemployment eligibility for five years. And adjudication for benefits. So, I do know something about it.
Not saying you don't, just saying that OP's efforts showed that she was trying to keep the job. Part of those efforts were sent to me via DM, but she did enough to show UI that she did not just toss the job aside.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,400,864 times
This story could easily be me. I moved to another state for a job, I have no parents or spouse to bail me out. I don't have a lot in savings either, aside from a retirement account. My finances have been doing okay, but it takes awhile to recover from moving expenses, being unemployed.

I have a cat, no dogs. And am saving money for a new car, my car is seven years old.

Life styles of the rich and famous...

Old 05-19-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
This story could easily be me. I moved to another state for a job, I have no parents or spouse to bail me out. I don't have a lot in savings either, aside from a retirement account. My finances have been doing okay, but it takes awhile to recover from moving expenses, being unemployed.

I have a cat, no dogs. And am saving money for a new car, my car is seven years old.

Life styles of the rich and famous...
That's why I feel for her. I have seen her resume, I helped her rewrite it actually. She is willing to work anywhere and learn to do anything...including jobs in gator infested waters, and I am not making that up. She has no gaps on it and has worked part time jobs when she could not find full time. Her savings was depleted after 2 years of looking for full time work. So, she limped along on what she could and took the 1st job she could after 2 years. Which we would have all said she should do. She limped that along as best as she could, had car issues which stopped her from being able to move. I think we have ALL had a moment in life where the best laid plans get shot down. She has been trying to outrun a hungry bear. It finally caught her.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
Default Bad things happen sometimes ...

... to all people, good and bad. Many of us if we lost our good job and couldn't get a similar one fast and had only UI or menial work would be up s__t creek pretty fast but we are too vain to say so.

Anyone feeling smug and superior to the OP and all those in the "get a job, any job and you'll be okay forever" camp should read this book:

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America: Barbara Ehrenreich: 9780312626686: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
Millions of Americans work full time, year round, for poverty-level wages. In 1998, Barbara Ehrenreich decided to join them. She was inspired in part by the rhetoric surrounding welfare reform, which promised that a job -- any job -- can be the ticket to a better life. But how does anyone survive, let alone prosper, on $6 an hour? To find out, Ehrenreich left her home, took the cheapest lodgings she could find, and accepted whatever jobs she was offered. Moving from Florida to Maine to Minnesota, she worked as a waitress, a hotel maid, a cleaning woman, a nursing-home aide, and a Wal-Mart sales clerk. She lived in trailer parks and crumbling residential motels. Very quickly, she discovered that no job is truly "unskilled," that even the lowliest occupations require exhausting mental and muscular effort. She also learned that one job is not enough; you need at least two if you intend to live indoors.
In it the author set out to see how a person trying to eke out a living gets by in America. If you read it, you will see how easy it can be to fall through the cracks and how hard it is to build up any savings or any type of safety net.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,594,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Correct. One that she got last week...after looking for quite a while.

So, get new job to pay bills, keep new job until something better comes along. This is what we would advise someone in her position. To take the full time job and look for something better, length of commute be darned, as it is a full time job. Yet, when OP does it, somehow even though you have told people to suck it up and do what it takes, somehow her doing so is not enough.
"Not enough" was that she got fired for missing work. She didn't do enough to secure her job.

For the second job, and I quote:

"What sucks even more is that I was looking for another job the whole time, finally found one, it requires driving, (albeit no where near the same amount), but since the car just died, the offer I just got...is probably gone.

So, goody for me, I'm unemployed again."

Are you kidding me???!!! Please tell me that is enough effort again, thebunny?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it is illegal. it's a code and zoning issue, and if the space is rented, any commercial lease will say you can't sleep there overnight.
Show me a court case and I'll agree with you.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,927,562 times
Quote:
And am saving money for a new car, my car is seven years old.

You talk like a seven year old car is going to die any day. If you choose your car brand logically, there is no reason that it can't last ALOT longer than that.

I have a ten year old Honda and it has given me virtually no problems and I can expect it to run for another 10 years.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
..so, you still have not caught on that you are the one being totally ridiculous? I'll say no more.
Oh, the new definition of being ridiculous. There's nothing ridiculous about willing to put up a good and reasonable effort!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM

392 posts, read 704,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
You talk like a seven year old car is going to die any day. If you choose your car brand logically, there is no reason that it can't last ALOT longer than that.

I have a ten year old Honda and it has given me virtually no problems and I can expect it to run for another 10 years.
I have a 1997. Complaining about a 7 year-old car is a bit melodramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment