Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I find it a little strange how every summer the London posters do seem to get all excited about any prospects or forecasts of hotter than avg weather,
That's because we've been in a poor run of summers since August 2006. All summer months since then have averaged way below average sun (including the cloudiest June and the 2 cloudiest Augusts on record), and most July/August have been cooler than normal. Only 6 of the last 30 summer months managed average or above sunshine.

Most people would be happy with a summer of average temperatures, sunshine and rainfall, which have all been in short supply recently.

Last edited by B87; 05-12-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 03:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
To comment on Tom's favorite topic:

I don't care about winter variability; average temperatures are too cold for my liking and occasional mild days can be a nice break. I might like a climate that hovers around the upper 20s / low 30s with frequent snow and low variabilty. Little sever cold, but cold enough snow doesn't melt. Hmm. A less variable winter climate here could mean a more stable snowpack. March, ditto.

April and May variability is annoying. No need for summer temperatures; I enjoy them but we get three months of them anyway. Like right now, a couple days at 80°F followed by highs just below 60°F. 70°F is pleasant, would be better if it could stay at that. Lower April variability would mean the growing season could start a couple weeks earlier. Don't want summer variability much; average is near perfect but hotter is often annoying. But summer isn't that variable anyway in temperatures, more so in humidity

I wish for the same thing. I would love winter stability, even if colder averages but without the severe low temps in the single digits or low teens even. I would love it if our avg lowest temp each winter was around 15F, even if our avg Jan high was 35F. And same thing with April May. I would far prefer consistent 60'sF in April without heat, and consistent 70'sF in May. Spring in the NE really can be the most annoying time of year here. Just never know what kind of Spring we will get. Seems winter just never wants to quit sometimes.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:09 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
https://twitter.com/NWSLouisville/st...76555711238144

Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Finally sun is out. 71F/22C at 5PM

Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It accumulated in Binghamton at the end of May 2002
Interesting thanks! In fact, That was the 18th. (Mid May, not end of May) 1.7" accumulated..
Now we're getting into those "rare" moments for snow even in Binghamton. Must of been a heavy snow rate because it was raining at 3am then changed to snow by 5am and stopped at 10am. 5 hours of snow. 1.7". Temps in the 30s during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I hope Toronto gets snow lol.

I got cousins in Toronto. I think they'll miss the Lake Huron Effect snows but maybe see some snow showers around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Does you sister live in one of those blue areas in western NY?

Wow! Impressive memory. I think I only mentioned that 3 times over the years?

Just checked. You know conservative NWS .. They got snowflakes in. She is in a spot that is protected and too far from the big Lake Effect snow averages but I am sure she'll see flurries...maybe a dusting if enough moisture around.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Most people would be happy with a summer of average temperatures, sunshine and rainfall.
According to who? Most people aren't happy with an average summer though. Surely even you must know that?!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:35 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I wonder if any lake effect snow will happen in northern Michigan or Upstate NY?
Exciting. Cant wait to see the radar.
I think someone over 2500' will see over 2 inches accumulate. Just have to see where will have the best chance.
The surface will be too warm I think other than snow showers/flurries unless at night or the right spots.
Same type of airmass that happens in winter happening in May. More instability around.

Lake Erie is at +7C

Western NY Off Lake Erie

Quote:
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
720 PM EDT THU MAY 12 2016

Temperatures on Sunday will struggle to climb
through the 40s with gusty westerly winds making it feel more like
the 30s. Sunday night 850mb temps of near -7C working over lake
temps of +7C will result in a chance for some bands of out-of-season
lake effect/enhanced showers east of the lakes
. Temperatures
dropping into the mid/lower 30s at a few of our higher elevation
locations could possibly result in a change over to some wet snow.

Northern Michigan off Lake Huron

Quote:
National Weather Service Gaylord MI
411 PM EDT THU MAY 12 2016

Deep layer moisture rotates across the Upper Lakes from the northwest
Saturday night along with coldest low level air (850mb temperatures
at or below -8c). This suggest some potential for lake processes to
get involved...and also suggests the possibility for more snow
shower development

Northern NY & Adirondacks

Quote:
National Weather Service Burlington VT
657 PM EDT THU MAY 12 2016

Strong frontal boundary then continues pushing east through the
region Saturday night with widespread showers expected and any
thunder threat ending by early evening. As colder sub-0C 850 mb
air streams into the region after midnight, some of the showery
precipitation will transition to wet snow at elevations above 3000
feet or so, mainly across the Adirondacks.

By this coming Sunday into Monday a
large scale upper trough/closed low will evolve across the
southeastern Quebec/northern Maine/maritimes region setting up a
deep cyclonic, moist northwesterly flow across our area. This
winter-type pattern will spell continued solid chances of showers
across the region, especially on Sunday into Sunday evening when
added support from yet another shortwave passage will aid in
dynamical support. Given mean 850 mb temperatures will average in
the -2C to -4C range, much of the showery precipitation will fall
as mixed rain/snow and/or all snow at higher elevations above 3000
feet or so. Here some minor wet accumulations of several inches
will be possible
by Monday morning.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,427 times
Today was beautiful! The sun was out, the high temperature was only seven degrees below average and the purple blooms of the invasive but attractive Paulownia trees went well with the deep green foliage.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
According to who? Most people aren't happy with an average summer though. Surely even you must know that?!
You're just pulling things from out of your arse now Dean. Last August was almost identical to the long-term averages in terms of temperature and sunshine, and I didn't hear people complain about how 'awful' the weather was - except a few days later in the month when the weather was warm and humid (people moan a hell of a lot more when the weather is hot - even you have to admit that). It wasn't wall-to-wall sunshine every day but the weather was largely agreeable - most days were mostly or partly cloudy with temps around 21-22C. Can you tell me what the problem is with that? Unless you plan on lounging by the pool every day you shouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Honestly, people are so weird.

And yeah, people will happily mention the Brits who move to Spain - mostly retirees or young people who don't have to work a 9-5 job like the majority of adults. And a third of them move back home anyway because a life in the sun isn't so great after all. Those who stay - great, less moaning arseholes. The UK is full of them already.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You're just pulling things from out of your arse now Dean
This is my favorite quote I've seen all day. I want to print it out and hang it on my fridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather