Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 04:20 AM

83,553 posts, read 75,444,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
This noise is pretty common, but I'm not sure what insect this is?
Nice pics. Yeah sounds like the Cicada.

Seems like we had the same idea.. Just captured a quick video from my roof to hear the birds and see the wet landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpcZ...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 04:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,687,565 times
Tiflis, Georgia
The city (including the zoo) has been flooded, and lots of animals escaped.

Photos from here Fotostrecken - Wetter Bilder und Fotos - WetterOnline

Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 AM

I'm still debating with myself. Would I rather have dreary annoying clouds, drizzle and rain everyday or Hot temps.

I guess the former is better then the latter for me since temps are much cooler. And the heat would be humid here... But its just annoying to keep getting rain. Lol

Everything looming so green here including the grass

While there's no rain falling or on radar, it is misty all day.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:34 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,524,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'm still debating with myself. Would I rather have dreary annoying clouds, drizzle and rain everyday or Hot temps.

I guess the former is better then the latter for me since temps are much cooler. And the heat would be humid here... But its just annoying to keep getting rain. Lol

Everything looming so green here including the grass

While there's no rain falling or on radar, it is misty all day.
Gosh, I'd kill to have what you're having. Clouds are good to have in summer, a cool, misty day sounds like heaven in summer. Each hour we have sun here June-Aug is an hour I could do without.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,740,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Are those from a bicycle ride? Noticed the bike path. There's a spot in Long Island with weird desert-like formations. Sand erosion?
No, I didn't take my bike as the weather was pretty unsettled. The "bike path" is actually a road. As for the formations, yup it's sandstone. Long Island would be the last place where I'd expect to encounter such a landscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
A Cicada of some sort - a nice quiet one at that. They get extremely noisy, and go 24hours during the hottest weeks of summer.
Quote:
Nice pics. Yeah sounds like the Cicada.
Ok thanks, I thought it was a little early for them. Nice bridsongs in your vid Cam!

Quote:
Doesn't Paris have Cicadas?
No it doesn't, it only has crickets. They're only present in southern France. They're considered the stereotypical summer background sound of Provence.

I'm hearing thunder right now. Wish I had found a spot with a clear view. It's either trees or buildings. And now mid-level clouds.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
photos from a bike ride the Sunday before last. High in the low to mid 70s. Probably showed photos from part of the route already, the entire I did last year, and the year before.

River not as low this time:

these flowers are common:

More river:

Spoiler

Neat garage:

Part of the house that has poetry:

Blandly cloudy sky for a while. The type of clouds I don't like:

Then, I spotted this! Not a rainbow:

Another view:

Spoiler

Did beavers do anything here:

Rolling hills of Vermont

Lupine with peace

close-up

Spoiler

Dammed lake of the Deerfield River:

Empty out here, though just before had a bunch of houses

Missed a turn and got an extra hill. I'm at 2,000 feet, looking north at 3500 foot Mt. Snow

another view of Mt. Snow, a popular Vermont ski mountain

Readsboro, Vermont

Back in Massachusetts.

Spoiler

Yes, there are trailer parks in Massachusetts

hedgehog?

looks lush

roadside fish

Old 06-16-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
photos from a bike ride the Sunday before last. High in the low to mid 70s.

Then, I spotted this! Not a rainbow:

Readsboro, Vermont

Back in Massachusetts.

What the heck was that in the sky?? Was it sunrise/set at the time? Any rain around?

So you biked to Vermont??? Isn't that like a 4 hour bike ride 1 way? Damn. You're legs must be rock solid. Hopefully you have a nice comfortable bike seat. lol I think I asked this before.. how often you go through tires.

Nice pics

Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 AM

So its been cloudy for 2 days straight again..Funny how daytime feels like Fall but nighttime and mornings feel warm. That's because its staying in the 60s the whole time. So during the day it feels chilly. (normal is mid 70s)

On the Autumn note... Nothing to be stressed about but this tree is showing signs of it. Don't really see this in June.. Usually any stress shows up in like August at least. I mean the leaves just came on last month. lol

Now that would be incredible to see all trees change colors in the summer. Maybe one day in my life I'll see that.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
My mother came to visit, so we took a tour to the Ruissalo national park in the afternoon to get away from the city. Pictures from my phone, and can by no means give justice to the beauty of the nature there.

What is special about the national park is that is not a "typical Finnish" forest with spruces, birches, pines and aspen, but a deciduous forest the climax species being oak, and linden to a lesser extent.

We started our journey at a café at a beach mansion:

The Finnish Archipelago:

The coastline has villas here and there, many barely visible anymore behind the foliage:

One of the few drivable roads in the area, and a private football pitch on the left:

Don't let the pictures and occational sunshine fool you, it was very chilly, 14-15C, so not much boating activity:

We headed on a smaller trail inland. Again, the pictures doesn't do justice:

In this area most trees were really small, mainly small oaks, maples, linden and aspen. Here you see also only the few pines in the forest, they unlike the other trees were huge for some reason. Maybe storm damage or a minor fire?

some weird small open area back there. Some parts of the forest was almost impassable, not that you're allowed to leave the trail anyway.

This one was funny. Seems like its too shady on the trail side, so the oak only had leaves on the far side, and this side facing me was completely barren:

Back among civilisation. Pavement! A car!

Dunno what the purpose of this field is.

And back to the starting point:

I will most definitely make another tour later, we took half of a short one, barely scratching the island's surface. So much to see and take pictures of, so I think a full day would be needed to cover most of it. But, buses go, and think, all this only 15 minutes from the centre.

And going to the archipelago for midsummer, so then you will see more typical Finnish coastal landscapes.

Last edited by Ariete; 06-16-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,740,863 times
^^ Your forests look more similar to northern French ones than mine do.

Especially pics like this one:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/...psiwse9fmg.jpg

Must not be seen outside the southern fringe of Finland.

Quote:
What the heck was that in the sky?? Was it sunrise/set at the time? Any rain around?
It's cloud iridescence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_iridescence

nei, your area sounds like a heaven for leisure cyclists. Not too densely populated, picturesque villages, a green canopy to hide from the sun, flatlands in the Connecticut River valley and respectable climbs in the mountains.

Curious how heavy traffic is on roads like this one? I assume about one car per minute? Maybe less?

Nice convective towers around noon today. Some raindrops and rumbles of thunder afterwards, though the core was more inland.

The congestus to the left has just reached the tropopause. 5 minutes after it had formed a decently sized anvil, so tops around 35,000 ft:
http://archives.wrf-static.infoclima...06/16/1215.png

Nice combo yesterday. To the right over the sea was a big congestus, in the middle a mature cumulonimbus and to the left over the mountains was a cirrus spissatus from a dying anvil. Speaking of the mountains, there isn't much snow left by now:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather