Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times

Advertisements

^ Rozenn, no. As I said this forest is quite rare for the Finnish landscape, being 95% deciduous. It has also been a recreation area for at least 200 years, it has been pretty untouched for quite long. But you're correct, these kind of areas are not found far inland outside of the Finland Proper, Uusimaa, coastal Satakunta, and coastal Kymenmaa provinces. For many reasons. For example in the Helsinki area along the Vantaa river the dominant species is the maple and not oak.

I put a google maps screen shot from Ruissalo sometimes, and people guessed France, Germany, even Italy.

But you see a different landscape after next weekend, and more typical Finnish.

PS: and I saw palm trees today as well. The enemies have been back since May. They have grown. But they have to die at some point, being inside for 7 months, out for 5 or 5.5 tops, planted and replanted can't do good to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM

83,566 posts, read 75,516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Thanks, I had never heard of that.

Quote:

nei, your area sounds like a heaven for leisure cyclists. Not too densely populated, picturesque villages, a green canopy to hide from the sun, flatlands in the Connecticut River valley and respectable climbs in the mountains.

Curious how heavy traffic is on roads like this one? I assume about one car per minute? Maybe less?
Yeah, I enjoy those photos greatly. He & I share the same scenery although I have to drive just a little bit north. You don't find those areas around here, just small "pockets" but once you go north about 1 hour from me they are all over the place. (Litchfield County, CT).

Here's a few memorable ones I took past 3 yrs.

Barkhamstead, CT. One of my favorite spots and photos I have. I was on a road that saw 1 car every 3-5 minutes.

This is in Sherman, CT. I thought it was a driveway but it's a road. I felt out of place here but felt so right. lol

Avon, CT

Thought I'd stop and get a picture of the backdrop views. Homes were far in between and hidden pretty good.

A little village in Winsted, CT.

All of those in Litchfield County the NW part of the state

But then the "pockets" near the coast you can still see this once in a while... . How can I not take a photo of it. Unfortunately this road had 6-10 cars per minute. .

Old 06-16-2015, 04:29 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,468,553 times
Storms won't come to me, finally I gave up and went to where the lightning was instead. Wondering why I have hesitated to do this in the past, considering it was within 10 miles away. When I returned to my house the road was not even wet!

Look at this from an angle if you can't see the bolt:

Last edited by Wildcat15; 06-16-2015 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 04:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
^^ Your forests look more similar to northern French ones than mine do.
They look a bit like mine, but something about them suggest they're more of a "northern" forest.

Quote:
It's cloud iridescence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_iridescence
A friend told me the same thing.

Quote:
nei, your area sounds like a heaven for leisure cyclists. Not too densely populated, picturesque villages, a green canopy to hide from the sun, flatlands in the Connecticut River valley and respectable climbs in the mountains.
Yea, I have rather nice out here. One downside is the weather is bicycling unfriendly for almost half the year. All the forests mean less views though scattered fields usually mean you'll get some views. No giant climbs, but those are impractical for regular riding anyway. Vermont is nice, but the choice is often either steep up and down often on an unpaved road, or a busier state road in a narrow river valley. Upstate NY west of the Catskills has the interesting pattern the hills are aligned north-south, so biking east-west will mean lots of hills, while north-south can be relatively flat.

Quote:
Curious how heavy traffic is on roads like this one? I assume about one car per minute? Maybe less?
Less, the road I was on a couple of miles earlier with a lot of houses had maybe a car a minute. The double yellow line seemed excessive for such a low traffic road. Previous times I went on Vermont 100 instead which does get lots of traffic and not much space — that image is on one of the parallel backroads to the south.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ja...1a3bd1338f555e

Quote:
Nice convective towers around noon today. Some raindrops and rumbles of thunder afterwards, though the core was more inland.
For a place with relatively boring summer weather, you get a lot of thunderclouds.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Saturday morning, just after a cold front passed through. Dew point had been in the high 60s, dropping to the low 60s around when I took the photo. Later it'd go to the mid 50s. Looking east at the clouds that left:

Random brick apartment building next to some houses:

Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 AM

83,566 posts, read 75,516,329 times
Another warm humid morning here and another day with cool clouds. Sun finally out. I think being near the jet Stream produces great looking clouds.

Cirrocumulus this time mixed with Cirrus with 1022mb High Pressure over the area.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:53 AM

29,562 posts, read 19,670,267 times
Thompson Hotel South Beach

Old 06-17-2015, 03:35 PM

Yesterday morning. Whatcha looking at?

Decides to get up and check me out:

around sunset yesterday, in Amherst:

Afterwards...

Was rather humid with a thin layer of fog on the ground. Neat. Phone camera is grainy, in low light, wish I had my real camera. Still can make out the fog:

Nice post-sunset glow but the photo is too dark

Spoiler

over the Connecticut River

Old 06-17-2015, 03:40 PM

This morning. River:

Real camera battery died. Bland clouds rolled in:

At the top of the hill. Better looking north:

Mt. Mondonack in the distance

Other direction is cloudier:

Spoiler

Another river:

Opposite direction, more ugly clouds:

Old 06-18-2015, 10:17 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,417,668 times
nei your phone camera is clearer than your real camera it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather