Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 03:50 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Queenstown, Tasmania has a very wet oceanic climate with over 2,400mm/90in of rainfall annually, and temperatures that range between 2C (36F) to 22C (72F) in the coolest and the warmest month, respectfully. Naturally, you would expect Queenstown to look like this:

Except, Queenstown actually seems to look like a place that can fit within the warmer & much drier shrubby highlands of Southern California:

Spoiler

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 05:06 AM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Queenstown, Tasmania has a very wet oceanic climate with over 2,400mm/90in of rainfall annually, and temperatures that range between 2C (36F) to 22C (72F) in the coolest and the warmest month, respectfully. Naturally, you would expect Queenstown to look like this:

Except, Queenstown actually seems to look like a place that can fit within the warmer & much drier shrubby highlands of Southern California:

Spoiler

That's insane. It's a temperate rainforest, not a subtropical desert!

Old 12-21-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
That's insane. It's a temperate rainforest, not a subtropical desert!
What's insane? Queenstown likened to a subtropical desert? (Sorry if I misunderstood)

Old 12-21-2019, 11:57 AM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
What's insane? Queenstown likened to a subtropical desert? (Sorry if I misunderstood)
Yes, Queenstown likened to a subtropical desert. But I suppose the continent it's on and mild winters could've done it, maybe?

Old 12-21-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, Queenstown likened to a subtropical desert. But I suppose the continent it's on and mild winters could've done it, maybe?
See my post again.

The first image of a rainy meadow surrounded by forested mountains is NOT Queenstown. It's what you would EXPECT Queenstown to look like with all that rainfall.

The two images below it are in Queenstown. And it's NOT what you expect Queenstown to look like, a place with 2000mm+ of annual rainfall and summer highs that barely go over 22C.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
It's just a result of depleted and poisoned soils from mining over the years.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's just a result of depleted and poisoned soils from mining over the years.
Deficient, poor and low fertility soils can really change the appearance of an area. Even making an otherwise 'lush' climate look quasi semi arid. Pretty amazing.

I had never seen how Queenstown looked like, until a few days ago. I actually did imagine it to look like a lush, hilly Scottish village. Was surprised to see it was the opposite.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:

Although, there are conifer forests even in tropical southern Florida, as well as a pine species native to the Sahara and several junipers and cedars to the Mediterranean. It shows just how good at tolerating a wide variety of conditions those beasts are - even more so than palms, deciduous trees and grasses, all of which are still pretty resilient and diverse. The more I've studied plants and climate, the less I've associated any of those four things with a single group of climatic conditions.
I believe, though, that the pines in the Sahara are mostly in the Atlas and Hoggar Mountains, right? And we know there's the Pines of Rome and the Italian Cypress, but I'm thinking that most of those Mediterranean conifers like the Lebanese Cedar are usually in highland areas, right?

Old 12-21-2019, 09:01 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Deficient, poor and low fertility soils can really change the appearance of an area. Even making an otherwise 'lush' climate look quasi semi arid. Pretty amazing.

I had never seen how Queenstown looked like, until a few days ago. I actually did imagine it to look like a lush, hilly Scottish village. Was surprised to see it was the opposite.
Even Darwin, which averages 67 or so inches of rain (similar to Mobile, Alabama) and has the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast, isn't as lush as Mobile is. Not that Darwin looks like desert, either, but eh, it looks more like Corpus Christi (average rainfall of 33 inches) than Mobile in terms of lushness level.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Even Darwin, which averages 67 or so inches of rain (similar to Mobile, Alabama) and has the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast, isn't as lush as Mobile is. Not that Darwin looks like desert, either, but eh, it looks more like Corpus Christi (average rainfall of 33 inches) than Mobile in terms of lushness level.
Agreed. And lot of our wet tropical areas look drier than their climate. For instance, Townsville looks like the semi-arid Honolulu, even though its climate is virtually like Tampa's.

Where in the US would you compare Sydney's vegetation to? Any places in the East Coast?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather