Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times

Advertisements

Can a climate classification be identified by vegetation alone?

I would say some climates can - desert, or climates that are firmly tropical. Everything else spans too wide a range of climates. to be able to firmly identify the climate.

There is tropical vegetation, temperate or subtropical vegetation, and that's really the extent to which climates can be narrowed down, and even then, to only a limited degree.

I think it points to a disconnect between the natural world and climate group classification. Any thoughts?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:00 PM

650 posts, read 1,631,006 times
Yes for the most part. Miami and even Central FL looks very very different vegetation-wise. When you drive from Central FL to Miami, the very lush tropical vegetation would indicate that you're in Miami.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Yes for the most part. Miami and even Central FL looks very very different vegetation-wise. When you drive from Central FL to Miami, the very lush tropical vegetation would indicate that you're in Miami.
Lushness would indicate higher rainfall. Is the rainfall pattern fundamentally different, or much the same between the two? I suspect the lushness is due to human intervention - keeping the place green for the tourists.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:37 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,475,615 times
not really, here in LA there is a very tropical looking scenery around the area, but our climate is Sub Tropical Mediterreanean.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Yes. I often notice this when driving to the French Mediterranean coast from London which takes about 12 hours.

Once you get about 150 miles south of Paris, vegetation starts to become increasingly evergreen shrubs. When you reach the Riviera itself you know instantly that it's a warmer climate. Even though it is at 43N, Nice is predominantly evergreen all year round

Old 12-22-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Yes. I often notice this when driving to the French Mediterranean coast from London which takes about 12 hours.

Once you get about 150 miles south of Paris, vegetation starts to become increasingly evergreen shrubs. When you reach the Riviera itself you know instantly that it's a warmer climate. Even though it is at 43N, Nice is predominantly evergreen all year round
The vegetation in my climate would resemble the Riveria much more than London, but is in the same group as London, and London would resemble NYC much more than here. I don't think vegetation alone could define the climate.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
not really, here in LA there is a very tropical looking scenery around the area, but our climate is Sub Tropical Mediterreanean.
Good point. If it wasn't for the obvious cultural/landscape clues, the combination of native/introduced vegetation would give little indication of the actual climate.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:19 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
If you were driving around Sydney, which is 600-900mm wetter than LA (depending on the suburb), you'd think the rainfall is much lower. LA has that wet-tropical feel to it, despite being dry and Sydney looks more 'Mediterranean', despite being uniformly wet. After all, Sydney is ruled by dry sclerophyl forests, which give off a Mediterranean landscape vibe.

So no, I guess I wouldn't base the climate classification on vegetation.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The vegetation in my climate would resemble the Riveria much more than London, but is in the same group as London, and London would resemble NYC much more than here. I don't think vegetation alone could define the climate.
London isn't that similar to the warmer parts of New Zealand, regardless of both getting an oceanic designation.

But the forested areas of the northwestern Europe resemble northern US forested areas more so than pacific northwest ones despite being more similar to the Pacific Northwest.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 PM

650 posts, read 1,631,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Lushness would indicate higher rainfall. Is the rainfall pattern fundamentally different, or much the same between the two? I suspect the lushness is due to human intervention - keeping the place green for the tourists.
Central FL doesn't have Miamis tropical vegetation. Plenty of vegetation in Miami that would die easily in Central Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather