Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 04:38 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,972,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Yep. Pretty steppe looking. Although I do believe the arid categories should be expanded a bit and split into three (steppe 125-75% of precipitation threshold, semidesert 75-25% and extreme desert < 25%).

Indeed. You can't really grow them in Indianapolis unless you have a Needle Palm with either a small amount of help or a somewhat more favorable microclimate (although even on the Chicago lakefront that's marginally true), and they're far from common in Nashville despite doing firmly well there even in the long run (there are actually 50+ year old Needle Palms in Knoxville and even White County, one of which has reached 9.8 feet in diameter). And even though I did see a lot of palms when I went to Dallas to the point of it being very noticeable, they weren't *everywhere* like you'd probably see in Las Vegas, San Francisco or Charleston SC.

Although the market for them is poor in TN in general, so maybe that's part of why (and I do plan to try to fix that when I open my nursery one day, people grow bananas, cacti, magnolias, crepe myrtles and yuccas very often, so why not palms too?). Probably same reason you don't see Escarpment Live Oak in mid TN even though they're as hardy as Needle Palm, Winter Pansy and Southern Magnolia.
Maybe people associate palms with tropical and warmer subtropical climates so much so that they seem out of place in a place like Tennessee. I feel like palms are about as rare as bananas and cacti in NC. Palms and magnolias are basically unheard of in Oklahoma, probably because we get below zero F once every several years.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:33 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
This place looks like a steppe climate, but it isn't. It's firmly oceanic.

https://goo.gl/maps/18WRSUrou49yfXiy9
That looks like a small, anomalous region near the coastline with poor soils. The surrounds generally seem to look like this (which is typically oceanic verging on Mediterranean even):

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9884...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0011...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauan Mateus Kubaski View Post
Off: The vegetation resembles a subtropical savannah close to watercourses than a Mediterranean climate and due to the precipitation it would be close, even if it is humid all year round.
Sydney's vegetation is all over the place. Parts look subtropical savannah, some parts look Mediterranean and other woodland areas would look temperate broadleaf to subtropical rainforest. Though our plains do resemble a some sort of savannah:

Old 01-31-2020, 04:03 PM

855 posts, read 772,775 times
I mean the entire British Isles were stripped of their forest cover about 1200 years ago and have never really recovered. It's not in any sense a natural landscape.

Also, tell me what kinds of grasses and shrubs those are, and I bet I could tell you that it's an oceanic climate. It's not just about appearances, it's about the actual species that thrive in a place.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:16 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I mean the entire British Isles were stripped of their forest cover about 1200 years ago and have never really recovered. It's not in any sense a natural landscape.

Also, tell me what kinds of grasses and shrubs those are, and I bet I could tell you that it's an oceanic climate. It's not just about appearances, it's about the actual species that thrive in a place.

Broom, sage, fennel, lizard orchid, sea buckthorn, various poppy species, red valerian, sea holly, lagurus grass to name a few. All of these plants are common in southern England, but at first glance it still looks like a steppe rather than an oceanic climate.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:28 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post

I think one could deduce if it's a temperate climate ,but Oceanic climates don't have a specific vegetation, that separates it from other climate types.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:32 PM

1,503 posts, read 915,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think one could deduce if it's a temperate climate ,but Oceanic climates don't have a specific vegetation, that separates it from other climate types.
The problem is that "oceanic climates" are a pretty big category and so you can't expect them to have a single type of vegetation, unless you define it sufficiently broadly. If we are more specific it's easier to match particular climates to particular native vegetation. Eg both north west Europe and parts of the south and south east coast of South Africa have Koppen Cfb "oceanic" climates but the indigenous vegetation is as different as the climates are. But we can still find a link between a specific place and its vegetation. Such as say most of the British isles being wet enough and warm enough in summer to support forest growth, but cold enough in winter for widespread dormancy, but not cold enough to completely exclude a few broadleaf evergreens with hard/tough leaves such as holly or ivy. Now looking at south-south east coastal South Africa there are also forests as there is sufficient rain and warmth, but winters do not get cold enough for widespread dormancy and many evergreens have softer textured leaves that would not be well adapted to British winters.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:31 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
https://goo.gl/maps/KeyHHrt8vFBphLme6

Drone view of northern Surrey.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:34 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/KeyHHrt8vFBphLme6

Drone view of northern Surrey.
Looks subtropical/Mediterranean (not steppe), but it could be of poor soil in that certain area. Do the surrounds also look like that? Because on other images in Google Street views, the region looks typically green and 'temperate'.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:28 PM

51 posts, read 37,868 times
https://earth.google.com/web/@42.993...3259151h,0t,0r

Hi people, the vegetation in a specific area between the cities of Béziers and of Perpignan (ie the coastal part of *southern Languedoc* + including roughly 20 km / *or 12 miles* inland), looks like one of the most arid ones in France. And is in fact, indeed, climatically one of the most arid parts of the country (along with the area around the city of Marseille, in another region, *Provence*).

It's a rather small area, of less than 1000 km² (less than 390 sq mi), centered on the towns / villages of Leucate, La Palme and Fitou (in the southern part of the Aude department) and Opoul-Périllos, Salses-le-Château and Tautavel (in the northern part of the Pyrénées-Orientales department).

This area is the wind zone of the Tramontane, which very often and strongly blows from the North-West, between the Pyrenean range to the south and the Massif Central range to the north. This wind is kind of accelerated around the "seuil du Lauragais" ("threshold"? of the Lauragais), located between Toulouse and Carcassonne.

It's very characteristic and it helps give the somewhat semi-arid look of this region, along with the (sometimes) very strong autumn/fall (thunderstormy) rainfalls, which also leach the region's soil (the rainfalls being extremely intense within a small amount of time, at times). Add lengthy periods of strong sunshine (with wind!) in summer, and with these three elements, you get the Mediterranean climate of Leucate.

About 330 mm of precipitation fall in one year on average (new official time frame: 1991-2020 / ...giving the fact that you only have data from 2000 to 2020 by following this link, it must be precised!).

https://www.infoclimat.fr/climatolog...urs/07666.html

The illustrating pictures found on the net, in spoilers just below, are from this area:

The last collage of six pictures shows Leucate and its added vegetation, that normally doesn't grow naturally over there (for example, the Washingtonia palms, introduced there from California):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 07-20-2020, 09:06 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
That's a bank of stones washed up by the sea though, has practically no soil or water holding ability so it's very atypical.
coastal areas can be deceptive,

Coastal OR near Florence can also look like a steppe
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9636...7i16384!8i8192

and the mouth of the Columbia river looks more subarctic with all the stubby trees/brush, compared to the more larger trees found inland

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2007...7i16384!8i8192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.