Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times

Advertisements

Are you one inclined to spruce forests and the smell of pine needles and lake water? Or are you more of a desert person, or one who likes the vibrant life of a tropical rainforest? In other threads we shared our ideal climates. In this thread we will discuss our ideal vegetation, i.e. boreal forest, deciduous forest, tropical forest, desert, steppe, scrub, ice cap.

Climate and weather have profound effects over the vegetation of an area, and I think it would be interesting to discuss our tastes in that area.

As for myself, despite my ideal climate being subarctic, my ideal vegetation is a hemiboreal forest, consisting of a mix of the regular boreal varieties with deciduous trees that may be found in a continental climate, such as oaks and maples. A close second is a fully boreal forest, consisting of spruce, pine, and white birch. Both are very appealing prospects for me. I also have a soft spot for grasslands such as the High Plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 PM

230 posts, read 407,649 times
Mangrove islands.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,567,719 times
I'm in love with tropical vegetation.

http://www.desktopwallpaperhd.com/wallpapers/3/5985.jpg

Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times
coconut and date palms; sea oats; sea weed washed up on the shore.

ahhhhhh

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I'm in love with tropical vegetation.

http://www.desktopwallpaperhd.com/wallpapers/3/5985.jpg
I find palm trees to be ugly, and tropical vegetation never appealed to me. I'm in love with something like this (posting just for curiosity purposes):

http://and-still-i-persist.com/wp-includes/image/winter_sunset_1024x768.jpg

Perhaps this one image best sums up my dream climate, with the soft sunset, epic clouds, and the sparkling powdery snowpack.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,543,062 times
Palm forest (The Palms of Pohnpei) or tropical montane forests.

Savannahs and lowland tropical rainforests are also very majestic...

Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,954,387 times
Palm trees. Lucky for me there is hardly any frost in Melbourne so a number of varieties can be grown.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Subtropical bush is the dominant form around here, so that's what I'm inclined towards. It's not so nice in rain though. The beech forest found at higher altitudes around here is a lot nicer if it's raining/snowing.

Palms/ bananas , eucalyptus , pines/fir and any fruit trees are good plants to have around. There should be something to eat straight off the tree all year- loquats, blueberries, figs guava, plums , peaches and apricots are all fruiting well at present.

A few deciduous trees scattered around the place look good as well.

Cacti are off the list, after a drunken incident one dark night, just before christmas at a friends.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
Tropical rainforest is the best.. so much species diversity!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,979 times
I really love the vegetation of Florida and Hawaii, but I think really, on a long-term basis the vegetation here is my favorite. It grades from a temperate (subarctic really) rainforest at sea level to alpine tundra at about 2000 feet. The forests are brilliant green, western hemlock, Sitka spruce, and white spruce, with moss and ferns galore, laced with granite boulders and waterfalls. The tundra is a magnificent little world of miniature trees and tiny leaves and flowers that turn to brilliant colors and ripe berries in autumn. I have a lot of respect for plants that have such a short time each year to live their lives, and can survive in such poor soil and harsh conditions. And there aren't a lot of bugs, either. That's nice.

I could do with fewer alders and willows though. The brushiness in some areas can make for difficult bushwhacking at lower elevations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather