Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,009,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I'd like to see these sort of trees someday.
Interesting shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,953,092 times
I think both the England and New England photos are beautiful. England looks more cultivated, yet still very nice. Africa just seems in another league with those trees.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
New England used to have a lot more farms, but the farmland got abandoned. If you go to the hills, you can see old stone fences that are now in forest but once were the edge of someone's farm.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM

97 posts, read 327,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Are you one inclined to spruce forests and the smell of pine needles and lake water? Or are you more of a desert person, or one who likes the vibrant life of a tropical rainforest? In other threads we shared our ideal climates. In this thread we will discuss our ideal vegetation, i.e. boreal forest, deciduous forest, tropical forest, desert, steppe, scrub, ice cap.

Climate and weather have profound effects over the vegetation of an area, and I think it would be interesting to discuss our tastes in that area.

As for myself, despite my ideal climate being subarctic, my ideal vegetation is a hemiboreal forest, consisting of a mix of the regular boreal varieties with deciduous trees that may be found in a continental climate, such as oaks and maples. A close second is a fully boreal forest, consisting of spruce, pine, and white birch. Both are very appealing prospects for me. I also have a soft spot for grasslands such as the High Plains.
Maximus, you and I sound like we are cut from the same cloth! I am enthralled by the boreal forest biome, though I don't live anywhere near it. I love the north woods scenery - paper birch trees are my favorite. Their stark white, peeling bark provides a nice contrast to the dark green coniferous trees. But, like you, I also love all varieties of maple, in addition to white oak, chestnut, hickory, and walnut. Any deciduous hardwood with good fall color is near the top of my list. I also like coniferous trees, especially blue spruce. I wish I could have one in my yard here, but in zone 8a, it would be tree suicide.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,955,659 times
Palm trees and other tropical species.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:58 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,525,966 times
I like it all, really. I do have a special fondness for healthy deciduous forests, like the one I currently live in now. The trees are sooo tall, and they change with the seasons, which gives the change I like. Of course, I like the northern forests as well, especially when they're draped in heavy snow - very, very pretty. But I also like palms as well, just not the heat that goes with them...lol.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,297,305 times

So basically a mix of boeral and Rocky Mountain vegetation. The vegetation of cool to cold climates are appealing to me. Especially the short trees. I think that rainforests of any kind are ugly and so are deserts and sagebrush.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times
I'm fairly content with the vegetation here, but we should need more deciduous trees! Damn spruce which has conquered the whole country.

My dream vegetation would be a Central European landscape, but with lakes. Deciduous forests, hills, valleys, rivers, streams, farmland... The Moselle valley has probably the most beatiful scenery in the World.
But now I realised that my dream climate can be a bit hazardous for vineyards.

A landscape like in Socotra would be probably the worst. It's just too weird. Not very fond of deserts or tundra either.

This domestic landscape I like:

Road trip - Finland, Pukkila - Askola - Porvoo - YouTube

Last edited by Ariete; 03-30-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,679,171 times
I was always facinated by baob trees

Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,841,088 times
In my youth, I spent many days and nights in the piney woods, and love the sound of the wind through the branches as well as the smell of the pines on a sultry night after a thunderstorm. But I have also driven the mountains of the Wasatch Range at 6000 ft. in the fall, and looked down at the valleys below on fire with color, and the leaves on the birch trees seeming to rival the sun's brilliance. It would be difficult to decide. There is a beauty in every forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather