Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,565,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I find palm trees to be ugly, and tropical vegetation never appealed to me. I'm in love with something like this (posting just for curiosity purposes):

http://and-still-i-persist.com/wp-includes/image/winter_sunset_1024x768.jpg

Perhaps this one image best sums up my dream climate, with the soft sunset, epic clouds, and the sparkling powdery snowpack.
As much as I hate cold, I have to say that the image you posted is really beautiful, especially the snow.

Although, if we're talking about wintry landscapes, this would be even better :

http://www.downloadfreebackgrounds.n...background.jpg

For me, the worst possible kind of landscape on the planet is the snowless wintry day in temperate climates :

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/...431a5316be.jpg

Disgusting

You almost made me want to drive up to the mountains next to Nice to enjoy a good walk in a snowy forest. I actually like doing that, albeit once a year. The rest of the time, refer to the first tropical picture I posted : that's what I want, every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post

For me, the worst possible kind of landscape on the planet is the snowless wintry day in temperate climates :

This is what my landscape looks like currently, but without the snowy patches. I quite like it though, the worst landscape for me would probably be Tundra and desert (http://sexywallpaper.in/wp-content/lg-gallery/desert/Computer%20Desert%20Wallpaper.jpg - broken link)

And I agree wholeheartedly that a snowy landscape with pine trees is beautiful and would have to be my favourite type of vegetation, particularly but not exclusively in winter.

Temperate landscapes aren't always dull though, such this picture taken in 2008, not far from me actually!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I really love the vegetation of Florida and Hawaii, but I think really, on a long-term basis the vegetation here is my favorite. It grades from a temperate (subarctic really) rainforest at sea level to alpine tundra at about 2000 feet. The forests are brilliant green, western hemlock, Sitka spruce, and white spruce, with moss and ferns galore, laced with granite boulders and waterfalls. The tundra is a magnificent little world of miniature trees and tiny leaves and flowers that turn to brilliant colors and ripe berries in autumn. I have a lot of respect for plants that have such a short time each year to live their lives, and can survive in such poor soil and harsh conditions. And there aren't a lot of bugs, either. That's nice.

I could do with fewer alders and willows though. The brushiness in some areas can make for difficult bushwhacking at lower elevations.
I had no idea that the vegetation in your area was so interesting. Naturally as a boreal forest it's close to the types I like.

Quote:
As much as I hate cold, I have to say that the image you posted is really beautiful, especially the snow.

Although that landscape picture is nice, the sunset is what makes it for me.

Quote:

Disgusting
While I think there are worse landscapes, and I may actually like it for a time in Spring and Fall, we agree here. A snowless bare/dormant landscape in Winter is terrible and quite ugly.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:

Disgusting

You almost made me want to drive up to the mountains next to Nice to enjoy a good walk in a snowy forest. I actually like doing that, albeit once a year. The rest of the time, refer to the first tropical picture I posted : that's what I want, every day
Your "disgusting" photo looks an awful lot like Missouri to me.

You can have all the snow you want, but apparently, you never have any place to go because shoveling out and driving on that crap is a pain in the rear. But, hey, to each his own.

I'd take temperate Missouri over the arctic north any day, but I am in agreement with your tropical picture. Much better all the way around.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-21-2012, 08:34 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You can have all the snow you want, but apparently, you never have any place to go because shoveling out and driving on that crap is a pain in the rear. But, hey, to each his own.
For myself and many others, shoveling and driving in snow is not nearly as much of an impasse or as painful as you make it out to be, and is often a pleasurable activity. I would just like to make that point known, as there is a lot of talk about shoveling in winter-hating circles. And I affirm the "to each his own" quote, and I respect you for it, but I don't want it to appear that people who prefer snow also prefer pain in some fashion. And besides, this thread is about the kind of landscape you prefer, not driving or shoveling it .

Are there any desert lovers here? What would you all think about this sort of vegetation pattern?

(Picture credit: Tahoenathan)

Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,565,391 times
Beautiful per se, but I wouldn't live in a climate without any trees !

Where do you live PM by the way?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
Quote:

Disgusting

Umm....there's quite a bit of snow in that picture.

My favourite would have to be heathland.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Umm....there's quite a bit of snow in that picture.

My favourite would have to be heathland.
How so? .. there is just a trace.. most of the ground is not covered.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
For myself and many others, shoveling and driving in snow is not nearly as much of an impasse or as painful as you make it out to be, and is often a pleasurable activity. I would just like to make that point known, as there is a lot of talk about shoveling in winter-hating circles. And I affirm the "to each his own" quote, and I respect you for it, but I don't want it to appear that people who prefer snow also prefer pain in some fashion. And besides, this thread is about the kind of landscape you prefer, not driving or shoveling it .

Are there any desert lovers here? What would you all think about this sort of vegetation pattern?

(Picture credit: Tahoenathan)
That's beautiful but there's no vegetation on the dunes. So in keeping with the spirit of the thread here are some of my favorite vegetation types that are in arid or semiarid regions:

Arizona Upland Sonoran Desert Scrub

Baobabs in western Madagascar (dry tropical forest and woodland)

Chaparral in California:

Last edited by xeric; 01-21-2012 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,509 times
I'm a landscape omnivore... most natural landscapes look nice to me.

For vegetation, I have a strong fondness for deciduous woodland. Intact areas in the eastern U.S., Europe, and the Black and Caspian sea regions are stunning to me; the kind of landscapes that haunt my imagination.

Coming a close second is the Mediterranean landscape heavy on oaks and patches of grassland; California has some beautiful stretches of this, and Australia has similar regions where eucalypts replace oaks in the same role.

I'm not fond of barren desert or ice-sheet landscapes. I like greenery. I'm also not too fond of uncontrasted steppe ( lusher prairie and plains regions can be gorgeous ), most tundra, or man-made moorland areas in Europe ( much of Ireland and Scotland are far more barren than they ought to be given their climate... a look not aided by gloomy skies ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather