Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 05:46 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times

Advertisements

I think the Gulf Coast is a good example, at least to those in the Western U.S., who perceive pine trees as something in cold, snowy, alpine areas. However, the Gulf Coast is hot, humid, flat, and coastal...yet full of pine forests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 06:28 PM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I think the Gulf Coast is a good example, at least to those in the Western U.S., who perceive pine trees as something in cold, snowy, alpine areas. However, the Gulf Coast is hot, humid, flat, and coastal...yet full of pine forests.
People from the west coast should be familiar with pine trees growing in mild or even subtropical climates. Much of California is covered in sequoia, redwood, Douglas fir, and the whole Pacific Northwest is basically a sea of conifers, including places that almost never see snow. I think conifers are well suited to places that experience dry conditions - doesn’t have to be cold. For the west coast it’s dry summers, but for the gulf coast I assume they grow in sandy soils that dry out quickly in the fall and winter?

Old 12-16-2019, 12:12 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Lots of pine trees, it looks more like a Csb climate in its vegetation and building style.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5cn4GaN1WRF19uKz6
Stone pines are not native to that region, right? If so, then I'm sure the vegetation there is in sync with the typical southeast England vegetation (deciduous forests). I wouldn't use a street with introduced trees as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
That looks much better than what I was talking about, although it's still quite dreadful.

In a nearby portion of Wilson County, TN: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1121...7i13312!8i6656
It is gross, honestly. For a subtropical it could do much better.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:55 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Stone pines are not native to that region, right? If so, then I'm sure the vegetation there is in sync with the typical southeast England vegetation (deciduous forests). I wouldn't use a street with introduced trees as an example.
Not native, but naturalised. Typical SE England vegetation is mixed forest and grassland or heath.

Maritime pine and sweet chestnut are both introduced species, but you wouldn't think it as they can be found growing all over the countryside.

Last edited by B87; 12-16-2019 at 02:10 AM..

Old 12-16-2019, 02:27 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Not native, but naturalised. Typical SE England vegetation is mixed forest and grassland or heath.

Maritime pine and sweet chestnut are both introduced species, but you wouldn't think it as they can be found growing all over the countryside.
What sort of trees are found in your mixed forests? If you could give me some species.

Personally, I would still prioritise native species over introduced ones, no matter how invasive and/or naturalised they can be in their non-indigenous environment.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:46 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What sort of trees are found in your mixed forests? If you could give me some species.

Personally, I would still prioritise native species over introduced ones, no matter how invasive and/or naturalised they can be in their non-indigenous environment.
Common and holm oak, beech, chestnut, ash, birch, poplar, scots pine, maritime pine. Ground plants typically gorse, broom, rhododendron, various ferns, holly (depending on soil types). Grass/scrubland is also common.

Typical SE English forest/grassland

Last edited by B87; 12-16-2019 at 03:44 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 06:59 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
People from the west coast should be familiar with pine trees growing in mild or even subtropical climates. Much of California is covered in sequoia, redwood, Douglas fir, and the whole Pacific Northwest is basically a sea of conifers, including places that almost never see snow. I think conifers are well suited to places that experience dry conditions - doesn’t have to be cold. For the west coast it’s dry summers, but for the gulf coast I assume they grow in sandy soils that dry out quickly in the fall and winter?
Coastal redwoods and pine trees stop at around Monterey. There are virtually no naturally occuring conifers in the lowlands of Southern California. The Pacific Northwest sees snow virtually every year, so it's no surprise to most people that there are pines there.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:10 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
That looks much better than what I was talking about, although it's still quite dreadful.

In a nearby portion of Wilson County, TN: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1121...7i13312!8i6656
That's not bad at all. It's mostly brown/gray so you know it's winter, but there're also lots of cedars everywhere so it doesn't look too depressing.

Here's part of Cleveland County, OK, where it's bad because the trees are so short:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2182...!7i3328!8i1664

Old 12-20-2019, 09:14 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Coastal redwoods and pine trees stop at around Monterey. There are virtually no naturally occuring conifers in the lowlands of Southern California. The Pacific Northwest sees snow virtually every year, so it's no surprise to most people that there are pines there.
True, but the PNW isn't THAT cold. There are places that see snow yearly but are subtropical and don't have snow cover for long periods (even broken up). But you are right about conifers being virtually absent in lowland s.Cal.

Although, there are conifer forests even in tropical southern Florida, as well as a pine species native to the Sahara and several junipers and cedars to the Mediterranean. It shows just how good at tolerating a wide variety of conditions those beasts are - even more so than palms, deciduous trees and grasses, all of which are still pretty resilient and diverse. The more I've studied plants and climate, the less I've associated any of those four things with a single group of climatic conditions.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I associate pine trees with dry and hot places (particularly in the summer), so it's not that big of a mismatch for me. One place that grows a lot of pine is northern Russia, when I saw street view photos of the place it looked a lot warmer than the climate tables state otherwise, was expecting a lot smaller trees, and more birch and firs.

Yekaterinburg
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.9404...7i13312!8i6656

Yakutsk
https://www.google.com/maps/@61.9960...7i13312!8i6656

Khanty-Mansi Autonmous Okrug (63N)
https://www.google.com/maps/@63.5090...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by grega94; 12-20-2019 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather