Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 01:32 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
"Santa Claus, Indiana"?
Yep. There's a well-known theme park there called Holiday World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
That's extreme southern Indiana though, wouldn't be too different from TN or NC.
I don't see pine trees like that anywhere around Lexington, you have to go further south.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:40 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
I don't see pine trees like that anywhere around Lexington, you have to go further south.
They have slightly hotter summers though, maybe that's a factor?

Southern Indiana is essentially the transition from "southern" climates to "northern" climates. I find Evansville, IN a pretty warm climate overall.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:47 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
I think they are short leaf pine. The picture did look eerily similar to a stretch of highway here.

Northern Wake Expy

https://goo.gl/maps/dpzVRpt9EPw

Old 10-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Looking at street views of Evansville, IN it looks like a pretty "southern" city to me. Not too different from Nashville or Bowling Green. Not too surprising though.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:51 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,919,496 times
It always has impressed me how Missouri's vegetation looks very subtropical during summer time. It's perhaps the northermost it happens across the US.
Also it's very surprassing that subtropical Pampas grass plains looks alot like sites like Illinois, wich is a continental zone.

Illinois

Buenos Aires

Crazy to think that the first place gets those brutal winters. It's hard to my head to link that with a landscape wich feels so familiar to mild winters.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What's the difference between "Mediterranean" and "very, very dry" vegetation? Can you provide an illustrious example of the two?

Very, very, very dry: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ju...!4d149.0823447

There is no grass. No greenery. Nothing. Just these grey-green-blue sort of trees that look like they are desperately starved for any kind of moisture. The ground is brown, bare, and almost sandy. The landscape looks almost dead - quite depressing, actually.

Mediterranean: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1196...7i13312!8i6656

It still looks dry, as a Mediterranean climate should, but it is green. It looks alive and vibrant. No bare ground, unlike the other link. Plants seem to grow naturally instead of the odd spacing of trees I have noticed in Australian forests. It looks much brighter and more like a living, moving place instead of statues of what was once there.

(Not intended to be an insult to Australia. Your country is lovely, it just has a miserable failure of a climate. )

Old 10-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
It always has impressed me how Missouri's vegetation looks very subtropical during summer time. It's perhaps the northermost it happens across the US.
Also it's very surprassing that subtropical Pampas grass plains looks alot like sites like Illinois, wich is a continental zone.

Illinois

Buenos Aires

Crazy to think that the first place gets those brutal winters. It's hard to my head to link that with a landscape wich feels so familiar to mild winters.
Missouri is a warmer climate than most people think. It definitely has cold winters for the most part (except the southern part of the state) but warm weather definitely wins for at least six months of the year.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:04 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post

Illinois

Buenos Aires

Pampas grass is a very commonly used plant here. Unsurprisingly Missouri is also the furthest north humid subtropical climates exist. Koppen may not have been foolish then to group Missouri with subtropical climates...

Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Looking at street views of Evansville, IN it looks like a pretty "southern" city to me. Not too different from Nashville or Bowling Green. Not too surprising though.
Then it must depend more on summer, because Evansville's winters are almost identical to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather