Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 09:08 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,543,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I believe, though, that the pines in the Sahara are mostly in the Atlas and Hoggar Mountains, right? And we know there's the Pines of Rome and the Italian Cypress, but I'm thinking that most of those Mediterranean conifers like the Lebanese Cedar are usually in highland areas, right?
There are several pine species that grow in the Caribbean lowlands like Pinus caribea. As far as coniferous trees go, there are several tropical genera found mostly in tropical Australasia such as Podocarpus, Araucaria, and Agathis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 05:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,970,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
There are several pine species that grow in the Caribbean lowlands like Pinus caribea. As far as coniferous trees go, there are several tropical genera found mostly in tropical Australasia such as Podocarpus, Araucaria, and Agathis.
True, but we're talking about perceptions in this thread, not what actually grows. Most people would be shocked to learn that pine trees grow natively in the Caribbean lowlands.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:52 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
True, but we're talking about perceptions in this thread, not what actually grows. Most people would be shocked to learn that pine trees grow natively in the Caribbean lowlands.
As well as the Philippines:

Old 12-23-2019, 04:00 AM

1,056 posts, read 728,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
As well as the Philippines:
Woah!

Old 12-23-2019, 07:25 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,012,656 times
It makes sense because they're in a subtropical highland climate.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:00 AM

189 posts, read 117,506 times
Windmill palms in Vancouver. Though I'm not against it.

Where I live it would be ferns. I associate them tropical areas but they grow here.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:30 AM

1,056 posts, read 728,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted85 View Post
Windmill palms in Vancouver. Though I'm not against it.

Where I live it would be ferns. I associate them tropical areas but they grow here.
Although I get that you find that misplaced (I'm sure many would), I disagree. Much of Europe has them, and Vancouver's climate is quite similar.

But what really astounds me is just how many people consider a Needle Palm or Dwarf Palmetto in Tennessee out of place. Seriously?

Old 09-11-2020, 07:00 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,974,985 times
Sometimes a city's climate and vegetation is inconsistent with other corresponding climates and biomes (with similar rainfall amount/pattern and temperatures).

Take San Diego for instance, which has an annual precipitation of 260mm (10 in), and it tends to look like this:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

And Ceduna, a small town in Australia with annual rainfall of 295mm (11 in and something), tends look like this:

Spoiler

Both have a similar temperature range, although Ceduna is just slightly warmer. What makes it look drier and arid looking in comparison with SD? I mean, they can barely grow grass, and yet they have more rainfall than San Diego (which is lush in comparison). Is it the high evaporation rate or the poor soils? I don't know. I mean, Alice Springs gets an annual rainfall of 280mm (11 inches), which is slightly wetter than San Diego, but it is understandably drier in appearance because of its scorching hot summers. So the evaporation rate will be high. But Ceduna? It's not that hot. So what makes it look very dry?

Last edited by Yac; 09-16-2020 at 12:36 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 09:25 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,970,913 times
Quote:
Agreed. And lot of our wet tropical areas look drier than their climate. For instance, Townsville looks like the semi-arid Honolulu, even though its climate is virtually like Tampa's.

Where in the US would you compare Sydney's vegetation to? Any places in the East Coast?
That Sydney picture looks like some Eucalyptus groves in California, although Eucalyptus is of course non native.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:31 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,525,353 times
Quote:
Agreed. And lot of our wet tropical areas look drier than their climate. For instance, Townsville looks like the semi-arid Honolulu, even though its climate is virtually like Tampa's.

Townsville has a much warmer and more pronounced dry season than Tampa; it's a true tropical wet and dry climate. Tampa on the other hand has no true dry season. In fact, Tampa actually has a secondary rainfall maximum in the winter.

During the period from May to October Townsville has an average maximum of 27.0°C with a total of 118mm of rain over 23 days. The corresponding figures for Tampa from November to April are 23.9°C with 359mm of rain over 36 days (sources: Wikipedia and references therein).

So I'm not surprised Townsville looks so arid. Other areas of North Queensland are more lush.

Source: https://pixabay.com/photos/daintree-...sland-4337397/ (License: free for reuse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather