Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,576,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
You are entitled to your view and I'm not trying to change your mind. However, you entered into the conversation and I only responded to your comments with an experience I had that was not ridiculous.
I have only ever spoken to this one psychic. And it had nothing to do with a safe place. I was simply looking for verification and some filling the gaps of what my own idea and impressions were about the murder.
I'm not a 'when will I meet my soulmate' seeker...that borders on ridiculous IMO.
So I can't really ask her about the questions you preset, she gets her information through animals and is not predictive.
Not all psychics can see into the future, many work with past events and several are used by law enforcement.
So there are good things that psychics are doing for the world. But even the best psychics have their limitations.
People have this idea the psychics can know everything, and that is not the case at all. Some people can write a piece of music with ease, but can't play guitar. Some people can play drums and can't read music.
Exactly. Psychic ability isn't necessarily predictive. In fact I believe them to be few and far between and don't count on any accuracy from those who do.

A card reader making predictions is actually altering someones life, leaving them in fear or giving them a false sense of hope.

I can read photos and faces with fairly good accuracy.... is that psychic ability or just a good people reader, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,399,426 times
Quote:
You are entitled to your view and I'm not trying to change your mind. However, you entered into the conversation and I only responded to your comments with an experience I had that was not ridiculous.
I have only ever spoken to this one psychic. And it had nothing to do with a safe place. I was simply looking for verification and some filling the gaps of what my own idea and impressions were about the murder.
I'm not a 'when will I meet my soulmate' seeker...that borders on ridiculous IMO.
So I can't really ask her about the questions you preset, she gets her information through animals and is not predictive.
Not all psychics can see into the future, many work with past events and several are used by law enforcement.
So there are good things that psychics are doing for the world. But even the best psychics have their limitations.
People have this idea the psychics can know everything, and that is not the case at all. Some people can write a piece of music with ease, but can't play guitar. Some people can play drums and can't read music.
Yes, we're all entitled to our view I just don't believe in psychics. I don't believe a psychic can communicate with an animal any more than a spider can communicate with you. The notion that a psychic can communicate with an animal is about as absurd as a psychic drawing information from an egg that is frying in a pan. You don't have to agree.

Where in law enforcement are psychics being used? How successful and reliable have they been if they are in fact used? I'll have to search the internet for this. If anything, they may be able to provide contact info for one of their collegues or customers who have committed a crime. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if psychics encounter a larger percentage of kooks than people in the general population, kooks who get into trouble with law enforcement.

Psychics to me act as placebos. They sense what people need to hear, and cleverly provide this information which validates and supports the person's sense of well-being, if only momentarily. They are good at "filling in the gaps." IMO the fact that one is even consulting a psychic is a clear indication to them that the person is gullible (or desperate) and prone to believe whatever they tell them, as long as it sounds close to being plausible.

Big difference between writing music and identifying someone's murderer when there were no witnesses to the murder but a dog. Big difference between playing drums and getting the immediate feedback this provides in self-correcting to play them better and telling someone that they're going to meet their "soul mate" in 2014.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,068,701 times
Don't take it too seriously. First off, you have free will. Ask yourself how can I be proactive and change these "warnings" look at them as warnings rather than predictions. And then do what you can. It's not 100% accurate. I had a reading, something which I see as highly unlikely is supposed to happen this month. I will try to remember to update if it happens, or if we reach the end of the month and it does not.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,934,525 times
You do not need to go to a psychic if you are in tune with yourself.

Don't give your power away so easily.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,679,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Yes, we're all entitled to our view I just don't believe in psychics. I don't believe a psychic can communicate with an animal any more than a spider can communicate with you.
Funny you say that. I talk to spiders and they seem to listen.

The notion that a psychic can communicate with an animal is about as absurd as a psychic drawing information frying egg
. Do you have pets? I communicate with my pets. However, I don't expect a non-fertile egg in a frying pan has much to say.

Where in law enforcement are psychics being used? Allison Dubois - she is quite successful. When the detective came to my house to ask me some questions and show me some pictures, (this was 5 years after the murder and finally a body had been found), somehow we got on to the topic of psychics. He mentioned his wife, she was not a 'practicing psychic' (we are all psychic on some level BTW) but had a dream that helped solve a case.

They (psychics) sense what people need to hear, By what means to they sense this?
and cleverly provide this information which validates and supports the person's sense of well-being, and this? I am not really asking you to answer. I know all to well the answers the disbelievers have.
'It's called cold reading' - a cold reading involves person to person so body language can be read. But what about sessions done over the phone? There is nothing to read. The cons will ask questions (the cleaver part) to bait and fish. They are good at "filling in the gaps." I agree that a con can fill the gaps once they get enough information. When I consulted the animal psychic all I told her was that my lover is missing, I have his dog who was with him all the time. I did not tell her that I felt that he was dead, I did not tell her who the main suspect was, I did not tell her anything beyond my desire to know what his/my dog had witnessed. I also did not tell her that the suspect had missing money- the catalyst to the murder, nor did I tell her what my own psychic impressions were. Which, had been, a deep deep sorrow, an empty feeling that brought tears to my eyes and made my whole body weak. I went to bed and cried myself to sleep repeatedly saying, 'keep him safe'. There was no reason (at that time) for this to have happened to me, I had spoken to him on the phone the night before and he was to come stay the weekend with me. As far as I knew, he was alive. I also did not tell the psychic that I could not figure out it they beat him to death or just shot him. Once the court case came around, all was verified. He was being beat with martial art moves and when he would not die, they brought out the gun. When they were doing this, was exactly when I had felt that deep sadness.
The animal psychic had picked up on the whiskey that was used to get an unsuspecting helper to go for the dirty deed. She picked up on the poker game that was used as a reason to get the helper over to the house.
These were things that I did not know until the trial. Like I said, I did not tell her that I thought he was dead. When I said he was missing, she 'searched' for his energy, spirit, what ever- and she said in a very broken and emotional speak, 'I'm so sorry, he is gone'. That's NOT something anyone likes hearing.
So either this is a big giant crazy coincidence, or there is something unseen that links the minds of all living things together; collective consciousness, Anima Mundi, psychic abilities? Take your pick, or not.

IMO the fact that one is even consulting a psychic is a clear indication to them that the person is gullible (or desperate) and prone to believe whatever they tell them, as long as it sounds close to being plausible.
Again, this is very true of a con and yes, there are many desperate and gullible people in the world.
I was 'desperate', but more like distraught. I already had a pretty good idea of what happened without talking to anyone. I just wanted more of the picture and that's what I did. I did not take what she told me as an absolute. That would be dumb, but I was eager to find out if what she said was true. The only way was the trial, and it did, she did.

Big difference between writing music and identifying someone's murderer when there were no witnesses to the murder but a dog. Big difference between playing drums and getting the immediate feedback this provides in self-correcting to play them better and telling someone that they're going to meet their "soul mate" in 2014.
You totally missed my point here. (And you assume a lot, there were several witnesses and people involved in the murder) I was not comparing psychics to musicians. I was using musicians as a parallel. One can write music but not play guitar- a psychic can feel the actual physical pain in a specific body part that correlates with an injury of someone else but the same psychic cannot view the past or future.
Some psychics only get their information through dreams (like my father) but cannot pick up a piece of jewelry and speak of it's owner.

I'm not gullible. I'm not desperate. I'm very logical, practice healthy skepticism and have only spoke with this one psychic. But I also have seen my father in action, my ex in action (he 'knew' where the murderers stashed my lovers truck, and he knew my cousin went for a C-section when she told no one and left in the wee hours of the morn. And that is just two of many.) My father was a scientist, and my ex a mechanic.
At least you can understand why I believe what I believe. I've seen other do it and experience my own.
While you probably won't bother wasting your time (said in jest), consider reading a book called 'You Are Psychic', it's written by MIT grad Pete Sanders.

(Sorry if the post seems off anywhere, I'm responding from my phone and it's a tiny window. I did my best to stay in line with my telling but I can't see everything all at once)

Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,982,812 times
Truly, there are con artists and the self deluded in every field, and this is particularly rife in a field which is impossible to license, but it is a pretty long stretch to say that the ability does not exist and that all who claim that it does are of questionable mental health.

I am always wary of people who make such blanket statements. Sloppy speaking connotes sloppy thinking.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,576,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

Don't give your power away so easily.
Agreed.

Quote:
Allison Dubois -
Allison Dubois, I don't deny she has a gift. What a shame though, I'm sure the intoxication in her HWOBH appearance took her credibility down a notch or two.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM

21,161 posts, read 19,753,224 times
Next time you go to her, wear a ring on you left ring finger and see what she says.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM

621 posts, read 658,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Yes, we're all entitled to our view I just don't believe in psychics.
I was a skeptic. Then I started playing with energy. Now I don't believe, I know.

There is a whole other world out there that a lot of people are blind to. Seeing it will en-richen your life.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,610,901 times
Can't you guys start another thread to debate whether or not psychic powers are real?

Sooooo, new thread?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-10-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal