Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,185,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
wow you people are gullible. no such things as psychics, astrology, mediums LOL...
Why do some people feel the need to express their opinions as if they were facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,023,221 times
Quote:
wow you people are gullible. no such things as psychics, astrology, mediums LOL...
Just as religious people have threads for discussion among themselves and do not invite atheists, the paranormal people have this thread to discuss things among themselves and do not invite unbelievers. I am certain that all of us has heard the ridicule that you heap on us and it does not change our opinion. Please take your comments, well intentioned as they may be, elsewhere.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why do some people feel the need to express their opinions as if they were facts?
I think we each have differing life experiences and this colors our view of the world. Some of us have experienced psychic phenomena and are open minded, even though some things cannot presently be proven with our current state of science. Other people have not had such experiences, or if they have, have tried to explain it away - at times going through some pretty extreme logical contortions to do so.

Some people are so fearful of social ostracism that they would discredit anything that is not considered the 'norm'.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think we each have differing life experiences and this colors our view of the world. Some of us have experienced psychic phenomena and are open minded, even though some things cannot presently be proven with our current state of science. Other people have not had such experiences, or if they have, have tried to explain it away - at times going through some pretty extreme logical contortions to do so.

Some people are so fearful of social ostracism that they would discredit anything that is not considered the 'norm'.
And some people are just arseholes.

To your point above, my husband is one of those that has seen inexplicable things and done the logical contortions. The bathroom faucets kept turning themselves on. The husband blamed the cat. Then the glassed in shower turned itself on at 3AM. He said " I have no explanation for that, but it wasn't paranormal." He's an atheist and any religious or paranormal ideas are immediately dismissed as hogwash.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
And some people are just arseholes.

To your point above, my husband is one of those that has seen inexplicable things and done the logical contortions. The bathroom faucets kept turning themselves on. The husband blamed the cat. Then the glassed in shower turned itself on at 3AM. He said " I have no explanation for that, but it wasn't paranormal." He's an atheist and any religious or paranormal ideas are immediately dismissed as hogwash.
My sympathies. I am enamored by Dawkins, Hitchens, and atheists in general than I am with those adhering to religious dogma but I do believe in spiritual experiences and that we live after the body gives out.

My husband listens to something online called 'The Atheist Experience'. Yours may enjoy that, too.

I think I'll start a thread on spouses, if you don't mind. You've brought up a good topic.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My sympathies. I am enamored by Dawkins, Hitchens, and atheists in general than I am with those adhering to religious dogma but I do believe in spiritual experiences and that we live after the body gives out.

My husband listens to something online called 'The Atheist Experience'. Yours may enjoy that, too.

I think I'll start a thread on spouses, if you don't mind. You've brought up a good topic.

I liked Hitchens. I was sorry when he passed.

My husband will not admit to being an atheist because he says it's a religion in itself. He prefers to call himself an agnostic, but that's BS because he actively denies the existence of anything past this life and does not believe in God or anything else for that matter. An Agnostic believes in something, or wants to, just not sure what.

We are soon to be divorced (not over this issue) and I couldn't give a fig what he believes or doesn't believe anymore. If you can deny what you see with your own eyes because you are so stubborn with your views, you are an idiot, in my opinion.

For the people that have never experienced anything- I totally get that skepticism because it makes sense. I dislike *******ry which was displayed in this thread earlier.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,642,683 times
Quote:
Duly noted.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 AM

380 posts, read 1,158,800 times
I went to a psychic about 5 years ago and she said I would get married and have a child. I'm nowhere near being married or pregnant. She also said I would get a promotion on my job. To be fair, my boss was talking about getting me promoted. However, the company went bankrupt and I was laid off. Unfortunately, she didn't see those things in her tarot cards. So, even good readings can be bogus. I wouldn't put too much stock in what the psychic told you. Although, I believe some people are gifted in that way, I think alot of people who call themselves psychics and do readings for the general public are fakes.

The one thing the psychic got right is she told me I had a very clear and strong aura. I have no idea if I do or not. But, she said that because of my clear aura positivity was drawn to me and as a result I was lucky. She was right about calling me lucky. That I am.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,714,309 times
I went to one particular one once in a great while for critical issues, things you want an unbiased perspective on. It's a consultant really, nothing more than that. She was really on some times and really off at others. I don't know-- it's bizarre because it can be like this. Accuracy right to the month of some things and then total inaccuracy in 1-2 of the consults. I think we participate in these things, maybe unconsciously, so as to "turn" our fate??

Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,703,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Don't pay for psychic readings.

Period.

A real psychic with "the gift" doesn't charge.
I've seen such comments many times.
Should a talented artist who never was schooled in art give away their work?
Should a adept and natural pianist play for free?

And...
Not all who are psychic consider it a 'gift'....there are those who have the ability that consider it a curse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal