Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM

2,364 posts, read 11,148,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogstenjr View Post
Hell, maybe I will just get a yellow car and make it a Taxi then I get a job out of the deal as well!

funny!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:49 PM

151 posts, read 346,131 times
Hello,

637,000, jobs lost from a revised 605,000 the previous week. That's above analysts' expectations of 610,000! Most of the increase in jobless claims was due to auto layoffs (Chrysler LLC has laid off 27,000 workers).

Chrysler on Thursday told a bankruptcy court it plans to eliminate 789 of its dealers — or about 25 percent of them — nationwide as part of its restructuring process.

GM (Government Motors) has said it will temporarily shut 13 factories beginning later this month through July, potentially affecting 25,000 workers. It has also been reported that GM will close 40% of its Dealerships!

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE WILL BE FOR MAY (STATE & NATION) ?

Paul

Old 05-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
hello,

637,000, jobs lost from a revised 605,000 the previous week. That's above analysts' expectations of 610,000! Most of the increase in jobless claims was due to auto layoffs (chrysler llc has laid off 27,000 workers).

Chrysler on thursday told a bankruptcy court it plans to eliminate 789 of its dealers — or about 25 percent of them — nationwide as part of its restructuring process.

Gm (government motors) has said it will temporarily shut 13 factories beginning later this month through july, potentially affecting 25,000 workers. It has also been reported that gm will close 40% of its dealerships!

what do you think the unemployment rate will be for may (state & nation) ?

paul

13%

???

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Damn, someone reported on the news that it could reach 20%!!!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:16 PM

304 posts, read 1,437,193 times
Looks like if any of us are lucky enough to get a job we still wont feel like we have any security the way things are going. I also wonder with me getting the Extended benefits, say I am hired and off EB.....then 3 months down the road THEY lay me off or close their doors then I doubt the Extended benefits will be there to fall back on and I would not have worked enough time to open a new claim sooooo I suppose at that point would be SOL right? Scary thinking and not real positive thinking but geesh then what? I know there has always been that chance with any job in the past but really the only fear was not making it the 30, 60 or 90 day probation period, once you made it past that you could pretty much let out a sigh of relief and know you were good to go. Nothing is for sure any more.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 PM

One thing is absolutely positive (which is a negative). Michigan's population will have to decrease significantly in order to be economically viable in the future!

The problem for me is that I am no longer with my son's mother and she still has a job (I get Nicholas every other day and every other weekend). So hopefully I will be able to get a job after I am through with school next May! I just hope the economy turns around by then (God forbid it does not get any worse)!!!!!!!

Paul

Last edited by phogstenjr; 05-17-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
One thing is absolutely positive (which is a negative). Michigan's population will have to decrease significantly in order to be economically viable in the future!

Paul

No, I think your governor, mayors need to to create jobs, small incubators from which jobs will grow. Create relationships with other countries, other states, instead of trying to nickle and dime each other to death with tax breaks.

For example, Philadelphia is trying to become a science corridor for technology companies to come here to discuss ideas, ferment ideas, make conferences, do student exchanges. It is growing along side the university of pennsylvania and Drexel.

They seem to be building mometum, but it is still a work in progress.

Most good ideas require patience, which most people don't have.

cheers!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 AM

309 posts, read 650,662 times
exhausted tier 2 on 4/17/09. got a letter from georgia dol dated may 8 said i may be potentially eligible for SEB (state extended benefits as they have made the money from ARRA/Obama their's) .

that i can apply online on 5/22 when they get up application and
that i may start certifying on 5/31 for that week and the week ending 5/24.
there is no retro and it is only for ppl who exhausted on2/15 or after.

we are allegedly to receive our monies sometime in june but of course no one knows when or how much.possibly 4 payments at one time.

however i am so far behind it is too little to late so i guess i will be relocating to an area that isnt in double digits when i get mine.my county is 11.5% unemployment and this whole area is over 10.7 overall.

wishing ya'll better luck than us georgians

(sidenote: seems our esteemed comishioner of the DOl has running for gov aspirations and is more worried about that than the unemployed.....but then again it all depends on if roy runs again,lol)

Old 05-29-2009, 07:06 AM

How is everyone doing?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM

309 posts, read 650,662 times
still waitin on michael l thurmonds ga dol to get us our money-or even let me know if i'm gonna be eligible cause its the biggest secret since the threory of the big bang-
waitin to have my stuff thrown on the side of the road cause evicted cause i cant pay rent since mid april-

still got an 11.5% unemployment rate in the county where i live

waitin for internet to get shut off cause i cant pay bill so i cant certify or send out resumes

waitin for car insurance to lapse cause i cant pay it so that will take car of that avenue of job huntin

SSDD

welcome to the rural ga mntns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment