Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 PM

968 posts, read 2,628,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmama23 View Post
I have applied for Ga SEB 07/07/09 and have not received a check or letter. When I visit the Depart of labor website all it states is for me to report to the center. I went into the center to inquire about my benefit an all they can tell me is that it is being process, and they are backed up with so many people unemployed (Great answer) especially when you are broke it's going on 4wks now. Is there anyone from GA experience the samething?
Have you read this thread regarding Georgia SEB? This might be helpful as there is a list of contacts regarding SEB and some of the issues others experience and resolving those problems.

I just have a regular UI claim and its been four weeks for me with no pay. I, too, get the letters stating I should visit the center [which I did on last week and they told me its still processing]. I called again and its more excuses.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,786,890 times
My wife is a laid off school teacher in WA state. She has just exhausted her EUC and is applying for EB(3rd tier).
My concern is that they expect you to take any job within your capabilites provided it pays minimum wage or more. The problem is we have a 1yr old that will need care if my wife works, try finding childcare, paying for gas and insurance for a 2nd vehicle(we parked mine since layoff and just use hers-mine is tired)..on minimum wage. On my income alone we have $70/month left after paying the bills...we didn't spend poorly, but got caught up in the credit crunch-then wife got laid off before we got our construction loan converted to a 30yr fixed, so we ended up with a very crappy rate on what isn't that large of a home loan. Love the way the credit system gives you a good kick in the ass when you're down!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 AM

151 posts, read 346,498 times
Hello,

I only have 3 weeks of Extended Benefits (EB) left!

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there will be another extension?

I am currently enrolled in the Michigan Works "No Worker Left Behind" program and will graduate with an Associates degree in Computer Science for Cisco Networking in June of 2010.

I read somewhere that there would be a continuation of benefits for people in training programs starting in 2010, does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM

304 posts, read 1,438,634 times
all I know is there is a possible extension they are trying to pass sometime in early september. I have two weeks left on my EB.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 30,038 times
Hi All,

I have a question. I live I MA.

I was collecting EB since sometime in April. I got $562 per week and I always worked part time making about $175 per week so it didn't effect my benefit check.

My claim expired after a year on July 3rd. The online system made me call in. I called in and the rep said " I fixed it, don't worry". I went on to collect my EB each week since then.

Two weeks ago, the system wouldn't let me file again. I called and was told the following. My claim had expired in July. I needed to file a new claim. Because I worked part-time, I now had enough wages to qualify for a new unemployment claim. I said ok. I got the letter in the mail. My new claim is based on my CURRENT employer with my part-time job.

So, now instead of receiving $562 per week I get $92 per week. Oh but what's even better is, I'm working part-time for $100-$175 per week so my unemployment check has gone down from $562 to $0 (if I work) or $92 if I don't.

It just doesn't seem fair how they do that. I've printed out all the laws, I've read them, but they are not clear. I was trying to find some documentation on the EB payments with a claim expiring in the middle of receiving the checks.

And I asked the rep, who is paying for this new claim and they said my CURRENT employer.

I just don't get it. How can I have a new unemployment claim against my CURRENT employer?

Has anyone else ran into this problem.

I asked the rep- so I did the right thing by working 20 hours a week and looking for a job 20 hours a week and now I get cut off? I should have just sat around and not worked and then I would keep qualifing for EB. She said yes and sorry.

No -offense to anyone not working - I don't care - I was just trying to make a point to the lady.

Now, I know when it comes down to it, I was better off with the extra money when I was making it, but I think they should tell people the rules. I could have planned for this.

Has anyone else ran into this issue because you worked part-time? Are you going to appeal? Do I have any grounds to stand on?

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM

304 posts, read 1,438,634 times
I am sorry this happened to you, I guess it does make sense though. Say you never filed unemployment and then this part-time job laid you off....you would qualify for weeks of unemployment if you opened a claim. When I was on tier 2 and I applied for the EB I had to first try to file a new claim because they want you to draw off of your employer if possible instead of the extension. I was denied the new claim because I did not have sufficient weeks to draw off of. You must of met the quota which would cancel out your old claim and begin your new. Here in Michigan I believe they go back 18 months and calculate your benefits according to your wages at that time. So if you was making $175.00 a week, that is what they will go on.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,424,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretpink78 View Post
Hi All,

I have a question. I live I MA.

I was collecting EB since sometime in April. I got $562 per week and I always worked part time making about $175 per week so it didn't effect my benefit check.

My claim expired after a year on July 3rd. The online system made me call in. I called in and the rep said " I fixed it, don't worry". I went on to collect my EB each week since then.

Two weeks ago, the system wouldn't let me file again. I called and was told the following. My claim had expired in July. I needed to file a new claim. Because I worked part-time, I now had enough wages to qualify for a new unemployment claim. I said ok. I got the letter in the mail. My new claim is based on my CURRENT employer with my part-time job.

So, now instead of receiving $562 per week I get $92 per week. Oh but what's even better is, I'm working part-time for $100-$175 per week so my unemployment check has gone down from $562 to $0 (if I work) or $92 if I don't.

It just doesn't seem fair how they do that. I've printed out all the laws, I've read them, but they are not clear. I was trying to find some documentation on the EB payments with a claim expiring in the middle of receiving the checks.

And I asked the rep, who is paying for this new claim and they said my CURRENT employer.

I just don't get it. How can I have a new unemployment claim against my CURRENT employer?

Has anyone else ran into this problem.

I asked the rep- so I did the right thing by working 20 hours a week and looking for a job 20 hours a week and now I get cut off? I should have just sat around and not worked and then I would keep qualifing for EB. She said yes and sorry.

No -offense to anyone not working - I don't care - I was just trying to make a point to the lady.

Now, I know when it comes down to it, I was better off with the extra money when I was making it, but I think they should tell people the rules. I could have planned for this.

Has anyone else ran into this issue because you worked part-time? Are you going to appeal? Do I have any grounds to stand on?

Thanks.
Sounds screwed up, but wow - I get the full UI benefit here in Colorado and after they take out the taxes, it's only about $387 per week, not enough to life off of. And it's my understanding that if I worked a p/t job, they would deduct all I made from the unemployment benefit, so I have zero incentive to even go work part time (which I would like to do).

Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 PM

Hello,

I think I get $362 + $25 = $387 per week.

I only see $225 per week as the rest goes to my x for child support which is automatically deducted.

Paul

Old 08-22-2009, 11:38 AM

FYI:

Posted: 08/13/09 07:56 AM [ET]:

"Rhode Island Sen. Jack Reed (D), whose state has a 12.4 percent unemployment rate that trails only Michigan, introduced legislation Friday to extend enhanced unemployment benefits through the end of 2010. The benefits were first included in the stimulus bill and are set to expire at the end of the year."

TheHill.com - Congress moves to extend unemployment benefits

Paul

Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 AM

4 posts, read 10,522 times
I have 6 weeks left of EB in Washington State. If anyone has exhausted their EB in WA, please let us know what you are facing. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment