Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM

46 posts, read 141,759 times

Advertisements

Thanks Paul!
Looks like you got started a little before the "glut" of unemployeds we have in the state now. My company reorganized in late 2007, cutting my department in Jan. of 2008. Most I have talked to who have tried to get into NWLB in 2008 have been told there was a 3 month waiting period to even have their ap. reviewed. I already have a B.S. degree, but am considering trying to get something additional that is more marketable right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:08 PM

304 posts, read 1,434,067 times
Ok I have some answers for the michigan people wondering what happens after tier 2 runs out. The original Extended benefits was for 13 weeks, the 7 additional benefits are now added giving a total of 20 weeks EB benefits. I just got off the phone with them and the lady said the computer had not updated me because it showed I had not done the EB application...I explained I had done it online so she updated that info and said I should be good to go with my next two week call in to marvin for the additional 20 weeks now. THANK GOD!! If any of you have filed your EB application online and have not heard back yet, call them to make sure they got it!!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,129,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom2008 View Post
Ok I have some answers for the michigan people wondering what happens after tier 2 runs out. The original Extended benefits was for 13 weeks, the 7 additional benefits are now added giving a total of 20 weeks EB benefits. I just got off the phone with them and the lady said the computer had not updated me because it showed I had not done the EB application...I explained I had done it online so she updated that info and said I should be good to go with my next two week call in to marvin for the additional 20 weeks now. THANK GOD!! If any of you have filed your EB application online and have not heard back yet, call them to make sure they got it!!
Thanks for the heads up. but!! i still have until December 2009 until i am eligible for the 13 weeks of EB benefits!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 PM

151 posts, read 345,668 times
michiganmom2008,

Thanks for the information.

Paul

Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 PM

151 posts, read 345,668 times
MichiganCap,

My understanding is that Michigan Works will pay for you to get a Master's degree up to $10,000 (since you have a B.S degree), dependent on the fact that you would be able to obtain a job with that particular degree.

If I were you I would go to Michigan Works and talk to a worker!

Paul

Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 PM

15 posts, read 56,774 times
Oregon's unemployment rate is 12.1 percent
I exhausted tier II EUC on Monday.
I was denied EB today because my original UI claim had an expiration
date before Dec. 07, 2008.

So much for NELP and the ARRA helping the long term unemployed.

I along with many other oregonians are now no longer statistics, I guess this is one way to reduce the states unemployment rate, deny the unemployed unemployment benefits and the unemployment rate will go down.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 AM

304 posts, read 1,434,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee54 View Post
Oregon's unemployment rate is 12.1 percent
I exhausted tier II EUC on Monday.
I was denied EB today because my original UI claim had an expiration
date before Dec. 07, 2008.

So much for NELP and the ARRA helping the long term unemployed.

I along with many other oregonians are now no longer statistics, I guess this is one way to reduce the states unemployment rate, deny the unemployed unemployment benefits and the unemployment rate will go down.

Im sorry to hear that...keep checking though, you never know things could change..maybe

Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 AM

106 posts, read 278,472 times
Is there anyone from NJ that has exhausted Tier 2 and had info on how things are going with EB ?? I claimed my kast Tier 2 check this week and was wondering how long the delay is before you get info packet and your next check. Just a little nervous since it took almost a month in Nov/Dec 2008 when they added the 7 weeks to Tier 1. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM

15 posts, read 56,774 times
Some potential saving grace for Oregon's long term unemployed!!!!!

From Oregon's UI website:

Additional information regarding the EB program:

Part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, also known as the federal stimulus package, gives the state the option to provide EB benefits to all individuals who otherwise qualify for EUC benefits. Currently, EB benefits are available to those who meet the 'EB Qualifications' listed above. (expiration date before Dec. 13, 2008)

Before we can pay EB on claims that expired prior to December 13, 2008, a change to Oregon state law is required. A legislative committee is currently considering a law change in order to pay these benefits. Should the bill pass, those who have exhausted their EUC benefits, and were previously ineligible for EB, will be notified by mail of their new potential eligibility.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,129,340 times
Oregon UI website Link:

Unemployment Insurance Extended Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.employment.oregon.gov/EMP...12-16-08.shtml

A cool thing is that Oregon is expanding their EB benefits from 13 weeks to 20 weeks. Oregon is offering up to 79 weeks!!

It also appears that i was wrong!

and that there are 79 weeks of unemployment compensation benefits!! And here is the LINK!! Hurray!!! ;-)
http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp...a=358&Q=249140

How much EUC can I receive?

Your EUC weekly benefit amount (WBA) is equal to the regular UC WBA on your corresponding UC claim. The maximum benefit amount (MBA) of EUC that you may receive is determined by the maximum amount of regular UC that you were financially eligible to receive on your corresponding UC claim, as follows:

If your regular UC MBA was: Then your Tier 1 EUC MBA is: And your Tier 2 EUC MBA is:26 X WBA 20 X WBA 13 X WBA 16 X WBA 12.8 X WBA 8 X WBA

Last edited by gea12345; 04-17-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment