Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM

151 posts, read 345,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogstenjr View Post
Michigan is suppose to be heading towards that 20% unemployment number!

In April, nonfarm payroll employment decreased in Michigan by -38,400 there bye seeing an unemployment rate of 12.9%, up from 12.6% in March.

Does anyone have Michigan’s May 2009 unemployment rate numbers yet?

Paul
Hi,

Well, we are almost there according to the news tonight Michigan has reached a rate of 14.1% unemployment for May.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
I live in AZ too, and have been laid off since September 2008. And you are right Glitterbug, there are literally NO JOBS ANYWHERE in Arizona. Sure, you have your call center jobs, but who wants to work under extremely stressful situations for extremely low pay? I am an Office professional myself, and where I live, there is nothing.
Be thankful you are not in Yuma. It is real bad here. I know I am going to have to move to find a job. I thought about going back to the Midwest but not much there either. Here in Yuma we might see an unemployment rate of near 30% before this depression is over. The only jobs here are call center, 3 dollar an hour agriculture jobs that are given to illegals, and health care.

I lost my job from a school here. I am trying to get my regular benefits started. I shouldn't have a problem since I never saw my first evaluation and then all of a sudden was told I don't have a contract for 2009-2010 school year.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,500 times
Do we have to get the Determination Letter before any SEB payments are deposited in our accts?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 15,846 times
Default Info for TN!

MR. XXXXXXX
Your email regarding extended unemployment benefits has been forwarded to me. I understand how desperate many people are in this current economic climate. While I haven't seen the final version of the bill just yet, I believe that I can answer your questions regarding the extension.

If you were receiving unemployment benefits for the week ending February 28, you will be eligible for the extension, regardless of the date your benefit year expired. You last received benefits on April 4th, so you should meet the eligibility criteria as I understand them.

I believe that the first compensable week will be the week after the Governor signs the bill. However, there is a provision in the bill that states that no benefits will be paid until the Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development can certify to the Department of Finance and Administration that the extended benefits can be paid accurately and timely. I currently believe that we will begin extended benefit payments in the middle of July.

I hope this information has helped and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. But please remember that I haven't yet seen the final version of the bill, but this is my understanding of what the bill contains.

John Partlow
Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
Division of Employment Security
Phone: 615-253-6703
Fax: 615-253-5091
john.partlow@state.tn.us

Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 93,956 times
Hi i have a question about work searches i do not want to get behind in case of audit i am looking for work. I also start college july 6th full time. I have 2 questions my first is about these work searches i have gone to places and have applied and also online from places like job.com career builder.com i have sent in a resume but i hear nothing back from them. Is there a number i need to be writing down when i go in person or apply online. And my second question is with me starting back school full time are we exempt from these audits(i will apply for jobs anyways) but are we exempt from being audited and loosing out (seb) please someone explain this to me im worried im doing this wrong.. ty and god bless

Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM

Jesus,

Times must be real bad if Jesus can't find work!

If you live in Michigan and if you are going to school through your local Michigan Works agency, then you will want to have your worker complete a Waiver that will waive your seeking employment and available for work requirements. Once the form is completed it will be sent to the Unemployment Agency for approval which is only given for training that meets certain criteria, such as if it is a growing field, etc., then they also esses your intellect (most likely using the test scores from the reading and math tests you completed at Michigan Works). Providing that your waiver is approved you will not have to submit any work searches if you are in training. Please not that for the weeks you are Not In Training (i.e., time off between semesters), you will be required to look for work.

Paul

Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM

20 posts, read 65,937 times
Anyone heard anything about the extention after EB runs out? Supposedly its for 20 weeks and is a revival of the old TUC or TEUC from 2001/2. There are restrictions upon it that I'm trying to figure out, NJ has it in the system but details are few atm, please post any news please.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,182 times
GA Dept of Labor asked everyone applying for SEB payments to wait 28 days for response as to the exact date benefits would begin. I applied online on May 22, 2009, the first day application was available, I called them today 7/1/09 and was told that now I need to go to the Dept of labor in person to
REAPPLY. It seems like this is was a 40 day delay tactic, so the State can continue to draw interest on Federal money they were sent back in April. What is going on in the State of Georgia?? Has anyone been able to collect as of today?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Macomb County Michigan (where I live, well exist anyway) reported a 18.4% unemployment rate for June 2009!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,929 times
I have applied for Ga SEB 07/07/09 and have not received a check or letter. When I visit the Depart of labor website all it states is for me to report to the center. I went into the center to inquire about my benefit an all they can tell me is that it is being process, and they are backed up with so many people unemployed (Great answer) especially when you are broke it's going on 4wks now. Is there anyone from GA experience the samething?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment