Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 02:11 PM

50,726 posts, read 64,954,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This article actually came out before the SNL special..

EXCLUSIVE! TOP DOCS: CHEVY CHASE MARKED FOR DEATH - The National Enquirer

Honestly.. It just looks like he's gotten old and fat.
I think Chevy drinks a bit. He looks like my first husband looks now. Hard to believe that either one was young and hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 PM

11,696 posts, read 12,887,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think a native Californian might find it funnier than the rest of us. The accent and the way they talk about the roads and traffic are sort of inside jokes.
While I agree with others that the skit went on too long, I did find it amusing as an homage to the 80s California soaps like Knotts Landing and later Beverly Hlls 90210, the OC, Melrose Place, etc. I remember Moon Unit Zappa with her gag me with a spoon Valley Girls song. I understood all of the inside jokes about the roads from numerous visits to family in California. I would need directions and that's how it would sound. One family member would start with the "take the 101 to the 405 . . ." Any time a topic came up, there would be a big discussion of traveling the freeways. And it's never one freeway, such as take the 405 to exit such and such. It was always a confusing mess of different freeway numbers and blvds. to take because that's how the road system is laid out in southern California. You can't take one road directly. Many of the other comedy sketches had a lot of inside jokes pertaining to New York City, including one of my favorites about the inaudible announcements on the subways during the 70s, 80s, and 90s, so I don't begrudge them for including one skit with inside jokes about southern California.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,940,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
A native SOUTHERN Californian would find it funnier than the rest of us. Northern Californians DON'T talk or behave anything like that.

Lest we forget: California is a very big state. L.A. and the surrounding areas? NOT a good or true representation of California and Californians
But is it not fair to say you might have a better experience and understanding how that skit was supposed to be funny then the rest of us?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,489,596 times
Overall, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
We were all so much younger then.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,999,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think Chevy drinks a bit. He looks like my first husband looks now. Hard to believe that either one was young and hot.
Lol you'll be happy to know that I can't comment on your husband. As for Chevy Chase, even when he was young, this little girl never thought he was "hot."

Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,452,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
But is it not fair to say you might have a better experience and understanding how that skit was supposed to be funny then the rest of us?
Fair enough.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,294,915 times
‘SNL 40

Found this very insightful article today.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:16 PM

23,666 posts, read 17,685,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I'm watching. It's amazing but it is also making me feel old. What the hell is wrong with Chevy Chase? Broke my heart to see him like that. Go Peyton!!!

He is Chubby Chase now.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,294,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rektorfry985 View Post
i didn't watch the show, but from the clips i saw online i didn't miss much. Maybe they need to seriously turn out the lights on snl and call it a day.

My favorite cast was from around 1987 to 1992 with people like carvey, farley, sandler, myers, spade, miller, and hartman. Farley and carvey were so damn funny they could make me cry with some of their sketches. I nearly popped a vessel in my brain when i saw "matt foley" when it first aired.

Of course, i'd have to acknowledge the original cast was probably the most talented --- at least by judging from their movie catalog.

Since the early 90's, i don't find very many talented people coming out of snl except for ferrell and maybe hader. Kristen wiig seems very unfunny to me -- i don't get her appeal. Tina fey and amy poehler have had mild success i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
he is chubby chase now.
:d:d:d

Old 02-17-2015, 08:18 PM

23,666 posts, read 17,685,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It was going well for awhile, but bogged down there in the middle. What in the name of all that is holy was that "The Californians" mess?
It's like watching it on Sat. night. Good at first than it goes on and on and on and you start to get a headache and wonder why you tuned in in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV