Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 08:20 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
So why are they letting Miley, who probably doesn't really keep up with SNL, sing a Paul Simon song when Paul is there??? I can't stand her.
That would have been awesome if Paul had done it. I guess they think they need to pander to the younger gen if they want to stay on the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I read that Frank Zappa [and Steven Seagal] were banned from the show for being such bad hosts.
The only thing Frank Zappa would get banned for is because he had a brain and a backbone, as well as being a genius at his craft. Many folks who were banned from SNL are in pretty good company.

As unexpected as it is, I thought Miley did pretty good.

Wayne's World skit was excellent and I like how they messed with that talentless rapper.

The Californians, didn't get it.

Sarah Palin just has no business on the tube, unless they could somehow muzzle her. She just has no timing for comedy. She just makes me nervous. I know she's not stupid, but show biz is just not her thing.

I agree with folks in here who say it started off pretty nice, was completely dull in the middle, then picked back up.

Chris Rock's tribute to Eddie Murphy was awesome and spot on. Dude carried the show when it was a bomb and he was the hottest thing in show biz at the time.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:33 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The only thing Frank Zappa would get banned for is because he had a brain and a backbone, as well as being a genius at his craft. Many folks who were banned from SNL are in pretty good company.

As unexpected as it is, I thought Miley did pretty good.

Wayne's World skit was excellent and I like how they messed with that talentless rapper.

The Californians, didn't get it.

Sarah Palin just has no business on the tube, unless they could somehow muzzle her. She just has no timing for comedy. She just makes me nervous. I know she's not stupid, but show biz is just not her thing.

I agree with folks in here who say it started off pretty nice, was completely dull in the middle, then picked back up.

Chris Rock's tribute to Eddie Murphy was awesome and spot on. Dude carried the show when it was a bomb and he was the hottest thing in show biz at the time.
I kind of wish they would have invited Sinead O'Connor since she has been redeemed on her reasons for ripping up the picture of the Pope. She was making a statement about the abuse of certain priests in the Catholic Church and the cover-up being done at that time by the Vatican and elsewhere. It seemed awful at the time, but the girl was right. I love her music too. Plus she had some online feud with Miley Cyrus I think, so that could have been interesting.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I wondered the same thing…. kept expecting Paul to join her on the chorus. I thought she did a great job with the song, though.

I also wondered why Kanye got such a long spot for his number. I understand why he and Miley were featured, but his song went on WAY too long!

Missed the last half hour -- us longtime fans have to go to bed sometime!
I put it on mute when he came on and kept wondering why is everyone on their knees? Isn't that suppose to be bad, must be a whiny song about something even though he has more money than he knows what to do with.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times
I just logged onto Nbc.com and watched it on there. Easier than waiting for comcast or youtube. That way I could fast forward or mute dumb things like Kanye and Miley singing. That was weird having Taylor AND those two on the show. At least Miley was dressed properly and wasn't sticking out her tongue. Maybe someone whacked her upside the head and told her to shape up! I liked the Wayne's World bit telling Kanye to sit down. That was a little fist bump for Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It was going well for awhile, but bogged down there in the middle. What in the name of all that is holy was that "The Californians" mess?
Agreed. There's a way to do a Valley Girl accent, and that ain't it. Boooooooooring until the Betty White kiss at the end. Lucky lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
It was an unintentional tribute to all of the sketches that have bombed over the years!
Ahh, ok, that explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
So why are they letting Miley, who probably doesn't really keep up with SNL, sing a Paul Simon song when Paul is there??? I can't stand her.
I think they let anyone who was willing to perform for free be up there. I bet a lot of the people who didn't do a lot of performing had agents who told them an appearance was good enough and don't give it away. Miley's voice is so monotonous and low. She's a strange one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I thought Jane Curtain looked very good. She's still actively on TV. Gilda was my favorite too. I also remember the TV reporter, Rose Ann Scarmadella that she used to parody. I wish they had included her "never mind" parody during the Weekend Update.

Did the blender really break during the bassomatic skit?

I also didn't understand the big tribute to Eddie Murphy who then made an appearance but didn't do any comedy bits. They also barely included Billy Crystal who was on like 70 percent of each show during his heyday. Lorraine Newman was very underrated and was overshadowed by her co-stars. I don't doubt that Jane Curtin was not taken seriously as she was the "babe."
I miss Gilda and Phil Hartmann. Both were taken from us way too soon. I get the tribute to Eddie, but he was stiff as a board and shouldn't have shown up if he had issues with this whole deal. It dragged the show down almost as much as that horrid kanye song did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Paul Simon's FACELIFT, OMG!!! He's got joker face now.

I thought the show was mostly sad and depressing.
Paul Simon is 73
Garrett Morris is 78
Chevy Chase is 71
Paul McCartney is 72
Dan Akroyd is only 62
Bill Murray is only 63
Martin Short is 64
Jerry Seinfeld is 60
Steve Martin is 69
Eddie Murphy is 53

If the above numbers aren't an ad for taking care of yourself, I don't know what is. I thought Murray was in his 70's and Short was in his late 50's. Seinfeld looks great, Steve Martin looks fabulous. Fast living, drugs, drinking, smoking and all that heavy nightlife took its toll on some of these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Yeesh it was fun to watch at times but it was pretty rough overall. They seemed to be all over the place and there was a heavy focus on remembering cast members from the last 10-15 years (the era of the show I could care less about.) Many of the heavy hitter cast members had only bit appearances (Sandler, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Norm MacDonald, Nealon, Lovitz.)

And did anyone catch Jon Lovitz being in the obituaries? That's like, kind of F-ed up when you think about how it's supposed to a tribute to the dead.

At least Will Ferrell was all over it. Good for him. I have the SNL 25th anniversary special on DVD somewhere and that was way better than this.
You know, I remember that special and it really was good. This one isn't worth burning to DVD. I just expected more. I think it was an excuse to take up air time and have a huge party afterwards. They did this show for themselves, not for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The good:
A LOT of unexpected returns. The flight attendants saved The Californians, something Betty White couldn't do herself.
Celebrity Jeopardy just for old times sake. You wont see that again at all.
Seeing Wayne's World again. One of my favorite sketches of all-time.
Weekend Update, though I wish they had Michael Che on it because he is under-rated. Though they didn't have Opera Man show up reading a series of headlines.
Jerry Seinfeld's "halftime" monologue. I am not a Seinfeld fan but he was good doing a later answering questions opening monologue segment with various celebrities asking irrelevant questions.
Jon Lovitz in the "In Memorium" tribute. Perhaps they were talking about his career.
The new SNL short with Adam Sandberg and Andy Sandler (I know it's Andy Sandberg and Adam Sandler) that was funny.

The bad:
The Californians, I am fair on the current cast. They aren't amazing like talent that came before them but they are pretty good in their own right (in particular the female cast, Bobby Monihan and the Weekend Update crew) BUT THIS was HORRID! As I said though, it was saved at the end.
The video packages, I feel there were too many and it took the wind out of the sails and it hurt. It was surreal seeing Jeter and Peyton on the screen at the same time because they are two of my favorites but I wish Peyton was in a sketech other than the opening monologue with a whole host of others both cast members and past guest hosts.
All John Goodman could get is a spot in the Seinfeld monologue?

The Ugly:
Melissa McCarthey trying to be Matt Foley, NO JUST NO!
The musical acts just weren't good. Sir Paul McCartney's voice cracked wayyy too much doing "Amazed," Paul Simon was pretty good but it seemed down. Miley and Kanye are who they are and they suck. You'd think with the celebrities they had, perhaps they could have had better musical acts.
Good recap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When Kanye come on I put the TV on mute, there is not a thing he could posssible say that would be of any interest to me.

IMO best line of the night went to Jane Curtain. "I used to be the pretty blond reading the fake news and now we have a whole network (Fox) of pretty blonds reading fake news".
Probably went over the heads of many right minded viewers.
Over all it was a good show even if some of the internet critics think they could do better.
Fallon spent almost 30 min. last night talking about the After Party.
No, it didn't go over our heads. It's typical tired SNL attempt at political humor, which has always been left leaning and dismissive of conservatives as a blanket philosophy. Another reason I just tuned out after awhile. If they would skewer both sides equally it would be a better show.

I thought it was a huge disappointment. I can find the good sketches on youtube anytime I want. Not worth tuning in if they do a 45th year anniversary. Maybe this was their swan song and they'll end it soon.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I watched the original SNL back in the day. Haven't watched the current SNL in years.

I thought the special was overall well done, but was too long. The Californians skit was too long, and not terribly funny. Although it was nice to see the Betty White/Bradly Cooper kiss.

I felt that there could have been more Gilda Radner. Always loved her Roseann Roseanna Danna..It's always something.

Thought the Weekend Update was well done with the exception of Melissa McCarthy. Thought Jane Curtin looked great and she didn't miss a beat.

Too much Kanye West and Miley Cyrus. Both just need to go away. The both of them strike me as desperate and pathetic.

Where were the Coneheads????
I agree, why were they even there? I guess to get the younger gen to tune in but it would have been better to show the old skits in their place.

Last edited by janelle144; 02-18-2015 at 01:50 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
While I agree with others that the skit went on too long, I did find it amusing as an homage to the 80s California soaps like Knotts Landing and later Beverly Hlls 90210, the OC, Melrose Place, etc. I remember Moon Unit Zappa with her gag me with a spoon Valley Girls song. I understood all of the inside jokes about the roads from numerous visits to family in California. I would need directions and that's how it would sound. One family member would start with the "take the 101 to the 405 . . ." Any time a topic came up, there would be a big discussion of traveling the freeways. And it's never one freeway, such as take the 405 to exit such and such. It was always a confusing mess of different freeway numbers and blvds. to take because that's how the road system is laid out in southern California. You can't take one road directly. Many of the other comedy sketches had a lot of inside jokes pertaining to New York City, including one of my favorites about the inaudible announcements on the subways during the 70s, 80s, and 90s, so I don't begrudge them for including one skit with inside jokes about southern California.
Yep, have some relatives who live in CA. When we were out there they did talk a lot about all the highways and how to get around better, like a lot and to each other. It was weird really but they do live on the freeways, that is why my hubby never moved back.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 AM

298 posts, read 299,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I agree, why were they even there? I guess to get the younger gen to tune in but it would have been better to show the old skits in their place.
The show was lucky to have Cyrus as her's was the only solid musical performance of the night. In fact, it was the only polished act I saw anyone do all night, save for maybe Wil Ferrel and Darrel Hammond. I don't even like Cyrus and I can't stand the song she did, but at least she didn't botch the assignment like everyone else.

McCartney simply had a bad night, probably from a cold. Simon without Garfunkel is pretty irrelevant.

Kanye was there because he sells more records (downloads, hits, etc) than anyone else on that show does anything, including blink their own eyes.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:36 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,724 times
Miley was trying way too hard to be stylistic and she just didn't pull it off. I found her voice grating and harsh.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:53 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post

Kanye was there because he sells more records (downloads, hits, etc) than anyone else on that show does anything, including blink their own eyes.
What was Kanye's routine, anyway? Reminded me of the old movie "the night if the living dead." No offense; I just did not understand the whole scene. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV