Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 01:31 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>> I loved that bit, hated some of it. You had Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds who were hysterical as always. Then they had some other guests that just took up space. Jim Carrey was terrible in his bit, its really hard to remember him as being funny once. You forget many of the SNL regulars who never made an impression, but others will always be remembered.
I loved Jim Carrey's bit, except the end.

But to other's people's points, I think it was mostly a miss. It was great seeing the 'reunion' aspect, but it felt like it was lacking the "comedic" community spirit. I found myself wondering when Comedy Central or something would pay their respects... but then I said "I guess that's now what they're doing!" I dunno. It just seemed to be missing...... something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Im a huge fan of the old SNL. The tribute wasnt all that intriguing, after two hours it felt like one long commercial for NBC/Comcast.
It could have been way better, with good writers.
Writers, producers, directors. Maybe, they need to watch the first years over and over until they "get it,?" Something does not click anymore. What is up with that? Lots of talent, no direction?

Seems like, back in "the day," they just let stuff happen. Maybe, they are too careful, not wanting to step on anyone's toes, they come off stiff and well, sometimes really not funny at all. I will miss Jon Stewart, hey maybe.............no I am sure he has other ideas.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:42 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Lol, I just looked up Wade Blasingame, every city ought to have a guy like that you can call. Will Ferrell really was underrated, I think those stupid cheerleader skits kept me from appreciating him. He did GW Bush with more strategery than anyone else could. I never respected him fully until I saw the movie Talladega Nights. If you have never seen this movie thinking it would be lame, watch it, you will laugh.

They should have shown some Coneheads, a Conehead movie was made several years back, they deserve some recognition. They should have shown a brief clip of Czechoslovakian Brothers, perhaps the part where Garrett Morris convinces them for a brief moment that the foxes are not coming, and they change body language from fast paced wiggles to slower paced wiggles of a depressed nature, and show the vacuum cleaner they smuggled out of czechoslovakia, the one that had the radiation fallout symbol on it and was the size of a 50 gallon oil barrel.....and had no suction.
I always appreciated Will Ferrell. He's got a different sense of humor, but I find him funny in everything he does. The cheerleaders skit was funny at first, but they did it too much. That's the problem with SNL sometimes, they run a skit into the ground like pop radio does to Taylor Swift songs.

Loved the Wild and Crazy guys. They had so many skits that were funny, it was impossible to honor them all and still have time to have their In Memoriam or musical guests or the opening song. It sure made my 11-year old son want to start watching the old ones though. Me too!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:52 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Lol, I just looked up Wade Blasingame, every city ought to have a guy like that you can call. Will Ferrell really was underrated, I think those stupid cheerleader skits kept me from appreciating him. He did GW Bush with more strategery than anyone else could. I never respected him fully until I saw the movie Talladega Nights. If you have never seen this movie thinking it would be lame, watch it, you will laugh.

They should have shown some Coneheads, a Conehead movie was made several years back, they deserve some recognition. They should have shown a brief clip of Czechoslovakian Brothers, perhaps the part where Garrett Morris convinces them for a brief moment that the foxes are not coming, and they change body language from fast paced wiggles to slower paced wiggles of a depressed nature, and show the vacuum cleaner they smuggled out of czechoslovakia, the one that had the radiation fallout symbol on it and was the size of a 50 gallon oil barrel.....and had no suction.
Oh, I forgot to mention The Coneheads. I wish they would have done that. All the actors were there, so that was a missed opportunity. The Coneheads was such a funny idea. Maybe Dan Akroid couldn't pull it off now. He doesn't seem to be as quick witted as he used to be. Or maybe it was just that dumb bass-o-matic skit wasn't that good. They obviously chose that over other skits for the sake of time, but I'd rather have had a short Coneheads skit over that. Or like some else said, the consumer report interviews where Jane Curtain interviewed him as a sleazy toy maker who made bad costumes and unsafe toys like a bag of broken glass or a black sheet to be an invisible pedestrian on Halloween. That was funny stuff.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
I only saw the first part OnDemand. What a waste of time. They have had so many truly classic sketches over the years, but they decided to show a 12 minutes sketch of THE CALIFORNIANS, which isn't the least bit funny.

Should I even bother trying to watch parts 2, 3, etc.? Or is it more of the same?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
SNL was one of those adult edgy shows to watch when we were pre-teens in the 1970s, like watching Benny Hill. My father hated it and insisted we watch something else. Fortunately Creature Feature was on another channel and you know, Boris, Bela and Lon were allowed.-Pops era.

I prefer to remember as they were rather than now.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:27 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,547,614 times
I missed it on Sunday (that is my PBS night). But Comcast is streaming it online in three parts. I watched the first and may watch the rest. But the last skit of the first part (The Californians) reminded me of why I did not stay up often to watch every Saturday. Many of the skits are just stupid and boring, that skit being a prime example.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
I've watched the first part and so far I am really enjoying it. It's just surreal for me to see Paul McCartney and Paul Simon just appear on the stage along with the others, who granted, are great in their own right, but Paul and Paul, they are just icons of culture, so awesome and have been around so long and thank God they are still alive! I wish I could say the same about Chris Farley, Patrick Swayze, Phil Hartman, John Belushi, Gilda Radner....And Jon Lovitz bahahaa that was great!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 AM

8,074 posts, read 4,749,870 times
Too bad The Church Lady could not have appeared to give a good dressing-down to Kanye West and Miley Cyrus. Cyrus would have taken it in stride, but I can imagine West takes himself waaaay too seriously to put up with such a timely skit.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
IMO, it was pretty lame.

Apparently, they were marketing this big bash to people who were actually around in 1975 (that'd be me), because most young people wouldn't even know what the heck that collection of super-short clips was for crying out loud. I certainly recognized them, but just how funny is it to see a nanosecond of a funny clip? Not very. Which simply reinforced my long-standing idea that some people (especially the Hollywood sycophants) will laugh at anything.

What they should have presented, were some of the funniest clips in their entirety--ie., Gilda Radner and Steve Martin's hilarious "dance" (as if the audience knew what the heck was going on in a one-second clip), Andy Kaufman's "Mighty Mouse" segment, William Shatner's "get a life" Trekker skit, etc.

Of course, doing that would require a little work, and a lot less time on camera for egomaniacs such as Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake (seriously, Fallon got more air time than a 747).

Opportunities are lost when people take the easy way out.

Oh, and, memo to Jim Carrey: Quit auditioning for a gig at MSNBC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV