Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM

850 posts, read 1,027,909 times

Advertisements

Re: Chevy Chase - I'm a "Community" TV series fan and the CC looked pretty much the same as he did there (perhaps slightly fuller in the face but then again I am in a glass house :-) ) Now if you haven't seen him in decades...

I can still remember grinning broadly and chuckling aboard an airliner headed East when I first/finally learned about Chevy Chase, Maryland and his name became even funnier IMHO. I read his bio several years back and seems to me he was treated unfairly for a fair stretch in his career.

Like many others I thought The Californians went too long, didn't need the Kanye or Cyrus but she did a great job singing and I'd like her more if she didn't do the crazy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,852,401 times
A Lot of those skits were copies from Monty Python days, the coneheads were for one , many others too

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,138,584 times
Nobody said much here about David Spade, but he certainly helped to make the 90's SNL better than average. His total bastard airline was good, and he was always supportive in all he did on the show. He joined the show in 1990 but for the first couple years they never used him much on stage, but used his writing talent for Dana Carvey's sketches. He was about to be cut but had success with his Hollywood Minute routine. In fact, he pissed off Eddie Murphy big time in that bit when they flashed Murphy's picture and Spade said "Look children, it's a falling star, make a wish. Murphy hated him forever more after that. Chris Farley and David Spade made quite a team after SNL,

Chris Farley was so awesome as Matt Foley, I loved how he would tell people to shut their Pie, Cake, or Flange Hole in just the right way with proper timing. He was funny in drag too, something that seldom makes me laugh, but he made it funny. Like when he was the overeating Viking woman that choked on a big drumstick and coughed it up, then resumed eating like nothing happened. His loud boisterous voice was so funny, when he would get mad and say the words SOB, how could anyone not like his delivery. He was very good with David Spade in Tommy Boy.

For me, 1998 was the end of the SNL golden age when Norm Macdonald left the show early that year, he was the last of the greats to leave the show. Farley died in 1997, and Spade and Carvey had left a year or two earlier. Not that Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, and Kenan Thompson were not better than average players in the 2000's, but not quite up to making SNL the powerhouse it once was, they were too few and too far between to keep the show hot, but certainly helped to keep the show going when it needed help the most. I think Rachel Dratch as Debbie Downer, and Kristen Wig as the deformed girl with no hands provided good input to the 2000's SNL as well.

Last edited by mofford; 02-18-2015 at 10:51 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 10:14 PM

298 posts, read 300,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If you are from the younger gen you just proved my point.

I'm 43 and make my living in the music industry.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,002,607 times
I nearly fell off my chair during the Jeopardy segment, bringing back old favorites like Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds (Norm Macdonald hasn't aged a bit!), and Jim Carrey's Matthew McConaughey impersonation is way too good. The actress who played Justin Bieber killed it, lol.

Eddie Murphy was a huge disappointment. Unless I missed it, he didn't recreate any of his classic skits? No 'I'm Gumby dammit' at the very least? Shame.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 PM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Sounds like the afterparty was the place to be!

Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers Brag About SNL 40 -- Vulture

Paul McCartney And Taylor Swift Sing 'Shake It Off' At 'SNL 40' After-Party

Old 02-18-2015, 11:52 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,675,481 times
I think Mr. Bill deserved much more recognition on the Anniversary show !

Mr. Bill is such a cutie pie and a trooper !

:O OH NO . . . Mr. Bill ! ! !

Everyone loves you Mr. Bill

Old 02-19-2015, 12:45 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,577,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
While I agree with others that the skit went on too long, I did find it amusing as an homage to the 80s California soaps like Knotts Landing and later Beverly Hlls 90210, the OC, Melrose Place, etc. I remember Moon Unit Zappa with her gag me with a spoon Valley Girls song. I understood all of the inside jokes about the roads from numerous visits to family in California. I would need directions and that's how it would sound. One family member would start with the "take the 101 to the 405 . . ." Any time a topic came up, there would be a big discussion of traveling the freeways. And it's never one freeway, such as take the 405 to exit such and such. It was always a confusing mess of different freeway numbers and blvds. to take because that's how the road system is laid out in southern California. You can't take one road directly. Many of the other comedy sketches had a lot of inside jokes pertaining to New York City, including one of my favorites about the inaudible announcements on the subways during the 70s, 80s, and 90s, so I don't begrudge them for including one skit with inside jokes about southern California.
Agree!
The sketch goes over many peoples heads. But when you start to understand it, its Genius and funny

Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 AM

897 posts, read 1,181,963 times
+ I loved watching the Auditions for people who did and did not get on the show. That was probably my most favorite bit of the 3 and a half hour "Sunday" night special.
+ I actually was pleasantly surprised by Will Ferrell. Too bad he barely showed up.
+ I actually liked Melissa's performance. I thought it was very ironic and the 'obvious' choice for her, but eh. At least she can act.

* Poor Taylor Swift... The Californians was terrible, even though I like a good ol' CA bashin' (in the most loving way possible!) it just needs to go. Terrible skit. Why THAT skit of all skits? Oh, I just read that the skit is based off of old CA soaps. If people don't get the premise, though, it's just not a good skit. What's the point if nobody's laughing?
* Question and Answer bit, with celebrities in the audience, was ok.
* 3 hours? Maybe they'd have had a better show if it were 2. Everything seemed sloppy.

-I really disliked seeing Kanye. I'm younger but he just unnerves me.
- I hated that Beyonce bit. She doesn't even talk like that, and it just... annoyed me.
- TV Funhouse should've gotten more play, than one stupid scene about the Ambiguously Gay Duo. I wonder how many of the younger audiences even got that?
- Tracy Morgan deserved better than that silly sketch that featured Jimmy Fallon more than it did him.
- Most of the people looked like they were either dying, had terrible facelifts, or makeup thrown on them to hide years of drinking and living in other star's shadows.
- As I said before, I really hated the fact that there was no "comedic camaraderie" amongst other various comedic outlets, like Comedy Central. All around, the whole thing sucked. Thinking on it I realize the wasted opportunity.
- I also skipped most of the musical performances, for whoever cares to know!
- Ugh, Eddy Murphy. I am trying really hard to "laugh" at what happened and act like what he did was gold, but it wasn't. It was a terrible, terrible 1-2 minutes that he was up there, especially after all that hype.
- What on earth will they do in 10 years for their 50th? They seem to have tried hard with this round, so I cringe to think of what madness they'll unearth for their 50th anniversary.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,852,401 times
I never found SNL funny ,still don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV