Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times

Advertisements

I watched the original SNL back in the day. Haven't watched the current SNL in years.

I thought the special was overall well done, but was too long. The Californians skit was too long, and not terribly funny. Although it was nice to see the Betty White/Bradly Cooper kiss.

I felt that there could have been more Gilda Radner. Always loved her Roseann Roseanna Danna..It's always something.

Thought the Weekend Update was well done with the exception of Melissa McCarthy. Thought Jane Curtin looked great and she didn't miss a beat.

Too much Kanye West and Miley Cyrus. Both just need to go away. The both of them strike me as desperate and pathetic.

Where were the Coneheads????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:22 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,121 times
THERE WAS NO JANET RENO !

For those that enjoyed the political sketches and thought they were a bit thin in this show, they did a tribute on Meet The Press Sunday. Lots of Dana Carvey, and they had the one with him as Ross Perot driving the car with Admiral Stockdale.

Wish they would have showed more fake commercials, like the 1986 era Gaddafi Clothing line, The Gaddafi Look "Whether expanding your territorial waters or cutting off a tourist's hand, wear clothes designed my Col Muammar Gaddafi". They showed a split second clip of the Kluckin' Chicken restaurant commercial, he gets chopped up as I remember. Will probably never get to see the Zenith System 12 TV set commercial, 12 sets of everything because at Zenith, the parts go in before the name goes on. John Belushi's little chocolate donuts breakfast cereal. Steve Martin's stayfree peeny pads for men to catch those embarrassing little drips at the end so you dont get a spot on your pants after you finish. The baby Jesus doll X-mas tree decoration that lets out a long drone squeal every 5 minutes to remind you of your faith, the playdough factory kit that runs on cat poop.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Did I notice Kanye using Autotune during his singing parts? Probably bad timing ripping on Beck's artistry and then doing SNL 40. I wasn't impressed at all.
What is it with Kanye's Cro-Magnon man stance? Is that art?

I keep waiting for him to drag Kim onstage by her hair!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 PM

28 posts, read 60,944 times
I didn't watch the show, but from the clips I saw online I didn't miss much. Maybe they need to seriously turn out the lights on SNL and call it a day.

My favorite cast was from around 1987 to 1992 with people like Carvey, Farley, Sandler, Myers, Spade, Miller, and Hartman. Farley and Carvey were so damn funny they could make me cry with some of their sketches. I nearly popped a vessel in my brain when I saw "Matt Foley" when it first aired.

Of course, I'd have to acknowledge the original cast was probably the most talented --- at least by judging from their movie catalog.

Since the early 90's, I don't find very many talented people coming out of SNL except for Ferrell and maybe Hader. Kristen Wiig seems very unfunny to me -- I don't get her appeal. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler have had mild success I guess.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:27 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
There were a couple classic sketches I wish they had time for, the Czech brothers, Hans and Franz, the Roxbury guys, there was a little bit of canteen boy, but the most glaring ommison was Toonces the driving cat

Old 02-16-2015, 07:31 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
There were a couple classic sketches I wish they had time for, the Czech brothers, Hans and Franz, the Roxbury guys, there was a little bit of canteen boy, but the most glaring ommison was Toonces the driving cat
You're right!!!!!!!! They forgot Toonces, and I used to look forward to seeing that cat all the time - he was a riot! They had THREE and a HALF hours, couldn't they just spend a minute or two - that was one of the funniest sketches. Also, spend more on Tracy Morgan's Safari "Brian Fellows" - yes, they showed a minute during a tribute to Tracy but that was all, unless I missed something

Old 02-16-2015, 07:31 PM

28 posts, read 60,944 times
One of the funniest SNL sketches of all time was the "Lord and Lady Douchebag" skit from the early years.

It's amazing how risqué that sketch was for the late 70's. I cant remember any other TV show saying "douchebag" and not getting a lot of heat from the censors and FCC back then. They also openly said "n*gger" on that show. Damn, they had a huge ball sack in those days.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:33 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I thought he was dead.
For some reason, I thought he was, too - I am glad to see him alive and well

Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,317 times
I keep thinking where are the Coneheads ? Also, the Czech brothers were so funny.

The original cast was a dynamic group of people that made an awesome show in the 70s

Then later the cast with Carvey, Hartman, etc. was a great cast.

Billy Joel would have been great to have on for the 40th Anniversary.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:59 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,250,137 times
[quote=RektorFry985;38471673]I didn't watch the show, but from the clips I saw online I didn't miss much. Maybe they need to seriously turn out the lights on SNL and call it a day.

NBC/Comcast wont bury the cadaver until they start losing money. Then it's gone like a week old carp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV