Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:39 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,575,114 times

Advertisements

The Californian's is one of the funniest Skits so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:48 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,545,599 times
I read that Frank Zappa [and Steven Seagal] were banned from the show for being such bad hosts.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
Paul Simon did a solo of "Still Crazy After All These Years" towards the end for those of you who gave up before he came on. I almost did. There was too much back slapping and praise giving and inside self congratulation. Chris Rock went way over the top saying that Eddie Murphy "saved the show" single highhandedly.

I quit watching after the first cast left and only came back from time to time. I thought the show just got progressively bad although there were some talented people to come out of it. I always enjoy seeing the cast from the 70's all together though.

The one person I really miss is Gilda Radner. She always cracked me up. I think she would have gone far. John Belushi I think was a first class jerk and full of himself. Dan Akroyd was far more talented. I read a brief autobiography a very long time ago in a magazine by Jane Curtin who said that Belushi was very mean to the female cast members. He was always going to Lorne Michaels trying to get them fired claiming women can't be funny.

What he wanted was more air time for himself and felt the sketches the women were in were taking time away from the men and specifically him. The men were in stiff competition to be showcased but none treated the women with contempt as Belushi did. Curtin said she stayed out of the frey but did stand up for herself as did Radner when needed. Newman was the youngest and very intimidated by the men especially Belushi so she held back and her talents were never given the due they deserved.

Anyway, I have been recording the old reruns that have been showing all week on one of the cable channels and I am going to watch the old ones with Steve Martin.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:58 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,138,129 times
The Californian's bit stunk. Chevy doesn't have money for plastic surgery, or Jane Curtain for that matter, and the tux made him look worse. Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd are not looking real great either, but we need to remember all the original cast members are pushing 70 years old now. The "What's up with that" bit from Kenan Thompson....I like it. Could have used some Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood in the Eddie Murphy section, good to see him again. I still don't care for Wayne's World, but Dana Carvey is one of the greats, with his HW Bush.

I liked the Seinfeld part of the show, poor Michael Douglas only had one appearance as host, along with Robert Blake. I enjoyed the portion of the show dedicated to the dead cast members, I miss John Belushi and Chris Farley the most. I think Norm MacDonald was a little slow on the draw tonight, perhaps a few too many shots of JD before the show? Naw, not Norm lol, his Bob Dole was awesome and he's my favorite weekend update reporter of all time, just ahead of Dennis Miller, whom should have been on tonight's show.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 PM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
Saturday Night Live 40 should be re-titled Saturday Night Dead. Such an insult to comedy and the intelligence to the viewing audience. .

Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I just don't get what is funny about those skits.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Saturday Night Live 40 should be re-titled Saturday Night Dead. Such an insult to comedy and the intelligence to the viewing audience. .
As Wayne and Garth said tonight... Not original.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:20 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,437,028 times
Show was great but friggin' Miley Cyrus as a performer on the show? Ruined it for me. She's on right now as the show is airing here on the west coast. All the other artists out there and they had her? Come on!!! Lorne has lost it.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:21 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,327,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I miss John Belushi and Chris Farley the most.
I miss Jon Lovitz..

I actually wondered if some of the 'banned' folks would be there.. Like Sinead O'Connor.

The musical guests.. All kind of stank. I didn't even care for Paul McCartney tonight. WTF was up with that Kanye thing? talking about the song in a half sized room or whatever that was.

It was an anniversary show.. It was going to be alot of self-love. They could have cut that Californians sketch and made the show a half hour shorter.

Did I miss him, or was there no Dennis Miller?

I'd probably have enjoyed them bringing each eras cast up on stage for 10-15 minutes and just talking to them.

They get Ellen Cleghorn in there, but no Victoria Jackson.. No Rob Schneider.. No Julia Sweeney. I kept hoping for a Shatner appearance.

Kind of thought Buck Henry might show up.. Saw the title card for him..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:22 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,590,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
That skit was so unfunny it was so lame same with Kayne and Miley what were they thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV