Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
...Simon without Garfunkel is pretty irrelevant.
Whaaa? those two broke up long before SNL came to exist. Simon's career has flourished without Garfunkel, Garfunkel's career...not so much, unless Simon throws him a bone every ten years or so for a "reunion" gig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,317,664 times
I did not miss Dennis Miller of Victoria Jackson, but why didn't Cheri Oteri return? She took part in last year's Women of SNL special, so it's odd that she didn't take part in this.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,652,727 times
I don't like Miley Cyrus, don't much like that song, but I think she killed it. The girl can SING, and I honestly didn't know it before because of her crazy image.

I wanted to whimper when I heard Paul McCartney screeching out "Maybe I'm Amazed." (But watching Rusty Anderson is always a pleasure)

I thought Steve Martin, just being there, in whatever little segment, were the best parts of the whole thing.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,051,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I don't like Miley Cyrus, don't much like that song, but I think she killed it. The girl can SING, and I honestly didn't know it before because of her crazy image.
She is a good singer. I don't know why she feels the need to do those crazy antics to get attention. I guess she just wants to prove that she's not a part of Disney anymore?

On YouTube, you can look up her "backyard sessions" from a few years ago where she does a good job of singing a few other cover songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw

Old 02-18-2015, 04:13 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,541,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
The show was lucky to have Cyrus as her's was the only solid musical performance of the night. In fact, it was the only polished act I saw anyone do all night, save for maybe Wil Ferrel and Darrel Hammond. I don't even like Cyrus and I can't stand the song she did, but at least she didn't botch the assignment like everyone else.

McCartney simply had a bad night, probably from a cold. Simon without Garfunkel is pretty irrelevant.

Kanye was there because he sells more records (downloads, hits, etc) than anyone else on that show does anything, including blink their own eyes.
If you are from the younger gen you just proved my point.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:44 PM

21,493 posts, read 10,609,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I did not miss Dennis Miller of Victoria Jackson, but why didn't Cheri Oteri return? She took part in last year's Women of SNL special, so it's odd that she didn't take part in this.
They were both very popular during their day. I hate that they were shunned because of politics (or so it seems). It doesn't speak well for Lorne or NBC if that was the reason. In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along".

Old 02-18-2015, 06:48 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,129,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Piscopo.. Would have been interesting to see.. I never thought he was funny.. But.. People like that should have been on as well. Isn't he.. Not doing well?
He was on the show. During the Martin Short/Maya Rudolph (stellar as Beyonce) skit. He was in the audience and did his spot-on impression of Frank Sinatra singing New York, New York. He was on stage with everyone during the finale too.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:00 PM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times
For God's sake!!!!!!!
Somebody bring back MadTV!!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,174,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm not surprised that Victoria Jackson did not return because she has changed a lot from her SNL days - she's a little strange these days from what I've read in the last few years, but Cheri Oteri's absence from the show was felt. She was great and I would of loved to have seen her and Will Ferrell as cheerleaders again - oh well, maybe for the 50th Anniversary, which will probably be even a bigger celebration than the 40th

Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,139,697 times
Glad to hear Joe Piscopo was on the show doing his Frank Sinatra, I fast forwarded right past him and thought he was absent from the show. As I recall he did another Frank Sinatra skit, or perhaps it was Phil Hartman, not sure but it made the Ebony and Ivory skit with Eddie Murphy look tame by comparison, it featured highly charged racial dialog and they have only showed it once or twice in the history of SNL.

Someone mentioned "Whats up with that" sketch with Kenan Thompson needing direction, I agree. That guy is kind of amazing, if you have ever seen the master skit of WUWT, Kenan works his butt off and it's LONG when you consider how physical the number was for his part, how a fat guy like that jump and bounce around for that long, and sing in tune without getting winded and collapsing on the stage, lol. If they just had more going on in that skit without Kenan carrying the whole load, it could be so much better. He is my favorite of the current cast.

In remembering a little more about Gilda Radner, how can we forget Baba Wawa? Her parody of Barbara Walters was very funny, and no matter what Barbara Walters says now, she hated Gilda at the time because Walters was trying to establish herself as a serious TV anchorwoman, and Gilda was not helping her one little bit with Baba Wawa. I liked Radner's skits when she played a little girl, she did that so well, when Chevy (or was it Murray) would tuck her in and she was supposed to be quiet an go to sleep, can't remember the whole skit and why she couldn't go to sleep but she played that part to perfection.

Someone mentioned the editing was not right in SNL 40. I agree, when they fast forward too much too fast, you cant really enjoy what they are showing and have time to laugh, and laughing is the whole point. They should have done it as a chronicle showing at least 10 seconds from each popular skit from 1975 to 2015, but use the forward flash method for the crappy years and lesser skits from low rating seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV