Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,698,431 times

Advertisements

If they stick one of those washed up SNL freaks in that time slot, such as Fey, I'll never watch. They aren't even remotely funny and they are already all over the place with their unintelligent, immature dialog.

I would give Craig a chance. I'm not crazy about him, but he's infinitely better than some who have been named.

Yes, Leno would be good, but would he take it? Doubtful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,496,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I'm only saying that Craig's type of humor is not universally appealing to everyone, like a Jay Leno.

You and your senior friends are probably more liberal in your thinking?

I'm not sure Craig's endless use of "sex" jokes would play well with everyone, such as more conservative people?

Craig has a tendency to make gay references, and he mentions the names of people's "private parts" over and over again throughout his entire show. He does it during every show.

Craig gets bleeped so often during the show, that they use a funny word for the bleep instead of a bleep tone.

Personally, I find his jokes extremely funny, and I'm a huge fan.

But I can see how some religious, conservative types, might not appreciate his type of humor.
I don't think so. I wonder, do you personally know a lot of older people who don't like Ferguson because of his format? I doubt if my friends and I are exceptions. Drop into any Senior Center and you will hear some pretty racy stuff at times. I read somewhere that Senior residences are becoming pretty high in STD numbers.

Just because one is old doesn't necessarily change liberal or conservative thinking. Young people are in for a surprise when they get old when they discover that more often than not their thoughts about sex, politics etc. have not changed. That is not to say they never do, but it isn't a given.

Take a look at CD's retirement forum. There are liberals and conservatives alike. I don't think age matters all that much. I do agree, though, that more religious and conservative people of any age wouldn't find Ferguson's show appealing.

I know a few young people who don't like Ferguson because of his raunchiness. They can't see why I like his show. What people like doesn't always depend upon their age. I get a kick out of Ferguson's bleeping with the little flags. My being old is kind of a bonus. With aging came partial loss of hearing and although I have hearing aids, I can read lips pretty well.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,519,987 times
I'm over 50 and don't think Ferguson is too raunchy. In my younger days I'd have been offended -- I'm getting more liberal as I age.

That said, I'm really too old to stay up long enough to watch him anymore. LOL I seldom even stay up for Letterman just because I'm too damned tired.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:09 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,550,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
That said, I'm really too old to stay up long enough to watch him anymore. LOL I seldom even stay up for Letterman just because I'm too damned tired.
From the looks of it, so is David Letterman.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:26 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,997,819 times
Quote:
I'm over 50 and don't think Ferguson is too raunchy. In my younger days I'd have been offended -- I'm getting more liberal as I age.

Read what some people said about his live stand up show (this is not his TV show):

Craig Ferguson Reviews and Ratings | Ticketmaster

Here are some examples ....

Quote:
Craig 's show was disappointing. I expected entertainment similar to his Late Late Show act. Instead I experienced foul language and crude sexual references. I think Craig could have been funny without the language and sexual topics.
Quote:
ferguson did only 50 minutes of mostly childish profanity, goofy sexual references and an odd number of gay jokes
Quote:
I am a huge fan, but I could not have been more disappointed than when I saw him live in Orlando. I am not a prude. I actually apprecite an appropriatley-placed F bomb, but was totally shocked by his vulgarity
His TV show often contains lots of sexual and gay references.

I simply don't think his type of humor would work at 11:30pm.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:

LOL! That's the only problem I sometimes have with his show too!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,519,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Read what some people said about his live stand up show (this is not his TV show):

Craig Ferguson Reviews and Ratings | Ticketmaster

Here are some examples ....

His TV show often contains lots of sexual and gay references.

I simply don't think his type of humor would work at 11:30pm.
I've heard that about his live shows for years. I think he mentioned that in one of his monologues. "I'm going on tour for a few weeks. Don't come to my show if you don't want to be offended." LOL

I dunno, I wonder if people are tired of the same old stuff? If I was CBS I might try something different to attract a younger demographic since that's where the advertising money comes from. I don't know if Craig's humor would attract younger, but another Jimmy Fallon/ Seth Meyers knock off is probably redundant at this point.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I've heard that about his live shows for years. I think he mentioned that in one of his monologues. "I'm going on tour for a few weeks. Don't come to my show if you don't want to be offended." LOL

I dunno, I wonder if people are tired of the same old stuff? If I was CBS I might try something different to attract a younger demographic since that's where the advertising money comes from. I don't know if Craig's humor would attract younger, but another Jimmy Fallon/ Seth Meyers knock off is probably redundant at this point.
And Jimmy Kimmel. You can barely tell them apart.

I would like to see a woman take Letterman's place but I doubt that will happen. In any case, they're all the pretty much the same to me. If I watch any of those shows at all, it's for the guest and not the host.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
I've been sharing my tv with Dave and Paul for all 34 of their years together.

I'll miss the show more than any other in my lifetime.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,646,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would like to see a woman take Letterman's place but I doubt that will happen.
I don't think Chelsea Lately or Joan Rivers can be considered a dry run. I think the network executives are very conservative, and will want to see a woman host an after midnight show on a network first, before the 11:30 time slot.

1. Jimmy Kimmel Live
  2. The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
  3. The Arsenio Hall Show (CW)
  4. Conan
The other possibility is they may break tradition and go with a sitcom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV