Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 PM

23,023 posts, read 28,502,916 times

Advertisements

If Mr. T replaces him, I'll watch. Other than that, I don't care.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:04 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,565,256 times
An LA Times analysis is suggesting perhaps an adult swim would be good for CBS. I'd probably be more likely to watch that than another same ole same ole talk show, no matter who's hosting it.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:04 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,674,359 times
I'll miss Letterman, but I haven't watched his show much for about a decade. I'll miss "Young Letterman".

Here's what I think's going to happen to late night tv talk shows:

No more hosts who last 30 ish years. New hosts lasting 10 years or so, as is typical for successful tv series and the members of sketch shows.

I'm going to bet my penny that Ferguson won't get the show. He doesn't even show up in most polls of the talk show hosts or on the TV Q lists. Ferguson will probably get the boot when Letterman leaves, or soon afterwards.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,148,290 times
Letterman's Replacement?

Some say she's negotiating at the moment for the spot – and may be getting favorable consideration. Read more @ Chelsea Handler, CBS in Talks for Late-Night Spot (Exclusive) - TheWrap

I have absolutely no idea who she is and, as I never watch the show now, it doesn't make any difference to me!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:06 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,858,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I'll miss Letterman, but I haven't watched his show much for about a decade. I'll miss "Young Letterman".

Here's what I think's going to happen to late night tv talk shows:

No more hosts who last 30 ish years. New hosts lasting 10 years or so, as is typical for successful tv series and the members of sketch shows.

I'm going to bet my penny that Ferguson won't get the show. He doesn't even show up in most polls of the talk show hosts or on the TV Q lists. Ferguson will probably get the boot when Letterman leaves, or soon afterwards.
Ferguson s got other talents , he's a good comedy writer and not a bad actor , swears too much though, I don't think there's any need for comedians to swear that much anymore for attention, those days are gone , Jerry Seinfield made good with swearing.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,847,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Letterman's Replacement?

Some say she's negotiating at the moment for the spot – and may be getting favorable consideration. Read more @ Chelsea Handler, CBS in Talks for Late-Night Spot (Exclusive) - TheWrap

I have absolutely no idea who she is and, as I never watch the show now, it doesn't make any difference to me!
I am in the minorty in that I favor Chelsea Handler for the spot. She's really that same type of mean/silly/irreverent kind of funny as Dave in his heyday, and she also shares his no BS attitude towards celebrity. She really does seem like the updated version of Letterman in a lot of ways to me. Plus she already has a talk show so none of this is new to her.

That said she's very "adult" and I'm not sure CBS is ready for that.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,581,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I am in the minorty in that I favor Chelsea Handler for the spot. She's really that same type of mean/silly/irreverent kind of funny as Dave in his heyday, and she also shares his no BS attitude towards celebrity. She really does seem like the updated version of Letterman in a lot of ways to me. Plus she already has a talk show so none of this is new to her.

That said she's very "adult" and I'm not sure CBS is ready for that.
It's funny. I like Chelsea Handler and would like to see her in the spot. Maybe I would watch the show in the future if she were. But I can't stand Letterman which is why I very rarely watch it now.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,019,414 times
Adios and good riddance. His prime was in the 80s and early 90s. After he lost the Tonight Show gig he lost his sense of humor and sense of fun, and became the most unfunny, embittered late night host in years. It became painful to watch him struggle to be funny, so I stopped watching years ago.

Conan O'Brien is suffering the same Tonight Show curse; he stopped being funny when he lost the dream job.

CBS will probably hire another boring, 'edgy' host to try to woo the millennials. I'm tired of Hollywood's insatiable focus on the so-called prized 18–49 demographic. The Baby Boomers outnumber both Gen-X, Gen-Y, and the millennials, and have money to spend, yet nobody wants to make decent programming for them.

TV has become very frustrating for this ignored demographic.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,847,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Adios and good riddance. His prime was in the 80s and early 90s. After he lost the Tonight Show gig he lost his sense of humor and sense of fun, and became the most unfunny, embittered late night host in years. It became painful to watch him struggle to be funny, so I stopped watching years ago.

Conan O'Brien is suffering the same Tonight Show curse; he stopped being funny when he lost the dream job.

CBS will probably hire another boring, 'edgy' host to try to woo the millennials. I'm tired of Hollywood's insatiable focus on the so-called prized 18–49 demographic. The Baby Boomers outnumber both Gen-X, Gen-Y, and the millennials, and have money to spend, yet nobody wants to make decent programming for them.

TV has become very frustrating for this ignored demographic.
Y'all need to stop watching TV so much. LOL

One of the reasons they don't program for the 50 and over crowd is you guys are not hard to reach. Pretty much anytime there is programming that demographic is watching unless it is a youth oriented program or station like MTV or Disney Channel.

The other reason is that decades of market research has shown this demo to have pretty set spending habits, advertising doesn't make as much of a dent. You have developed rock solid brand loyalty by then. And the things y'all are open to new advertising about (luxury items, travel, financial management, health related stuff, etc) advertisers can reach you, again, practically any time of day. No one has to make any special effort.

But the 18-49 crowd tends to only watch specific shows in large numbers at specific times, and they are more open to trying new products. So they get the programming.

Sucks but it is what it is.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 PM

19,364 posts, read 16,919,237 times
Maybe Jay Leno will take over for Dave. He wasn't ready to leave anyway. It was NBC's decision. Leno's got a few good years left in him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV