Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,509,919 times

Advertisements

Rightly or wrongly; the fact they were of an upper income strata family had the effect of intimidating the local police to the extent that they were not 'required' to leave the residence the second it was delared a crime scene.

Yes, the police observed the usual 'perpetrator motive' of it likely being a family member but did not take the appropriate steps to either "eliminate" or "focus" on them. Either course of action requires their total removal from the house and subsequent questioning in a much more forceful manner. Making appointments with them to interview them at their leisure just doesn't cut it.

Too much leeway was given to representative lawyers holding sway over the police activities regarding the Ramseys which only served to subvert the investigation.

Political correctness run amock in that their actions (police) were governed by the spectre and threat of "defamation of character" and "wrongful arrest" lawsuits emanating from any rigid police doctrine to solve the crime.

To think that little tyke had her early years shaped and filled with 'beauty pagentry' discipline and all of that phony attendant unhealthy attention placed upon her by the very people in a position of trust who are supposed to be motivated to protect her from all things harmful and then to lose her life in a dingey basement in that manner and not have justice; is frankly; beyond the pale!

All officials associated with this crime should hang their heads in shame!

The perpetrator will ultimately have his/her day of judgement but it will likely not be at the hand of man.

A great shame.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 AM

26,759 posts, read 26,863,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Rightly or wrongly; the fact they were of an upper income strata family had the effect of intimidating the local police to the extent that they were not 'required' to leave the residence the second it was delared a crime scene.
I don't think socioeconomic class had anything to do with it. Both Columbine killers were from high income families and their parents were not allowed back in their own homes until the police had combed the houses. The crimes were obviously not committed at home.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM

297 posts, read 520,328 times
I looked up both of the Columbine killers and both of their parent's jobs seem to be middle class/upper middle class. The Ramseys were upper class; John Ramsey had a $1 million salary in 1996 and his company (that he was the CEO of) had $1 billion in profits that year. It's not just about the Ramseys having $$$ but they also had connections to law firms who have influence in the state government, etc. Why did JonBenet's medical records "disappear" along with cell phone records from December 1996?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,501,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
I looked up both of the Columbine killers and both of their parent's jobs seem to be middle class/upper middle class. The Ramseys were upper class; John Ramsey had a $1 million salary in 1996 and his company (that he was the CEO of) had $1 billion in profits that year. It's not just about the Ramseys having $$$ but they also had connections to law firms who have influence in the state government, etc. Why did JonBenet's medical records "disappear" along with cell phone records from December 1996?
I remember so little. It was Christmas morning--I suppose LE could have ordered the family to leave but the public response to that might have been acute.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 AM

23 posts, read 42,133 times
Power and Money

Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 AM

13 posts, read 17,438 times
Listening and seeing John and Patsy Ramsey on TV was odd. It's the strangest thing. I don't know if they killed their child or not but they were so similar in a lot of ways it's uncanny. What I mean is this; even if their daughter had not been killed, I would have gotten the same impression. They could have been talking about politics, sports, music, etc, I would would have noticed the same thing. It's like you could fuse them together and they could become one person. The same voice inflections, facial expressions and other mannerisms. When you heard John speak, it was as if Patsy was speaking and vice versa. However, it's not like it was because they were married for so long. I know when people are married for a long time or people in a long term relationship they take on/ adopt mannerisms of the "significant other". It was more like neither had their own identity but the other's; John became Patsy and Patsy became John at times in the interviews I saw. I saw an interview once where John Ramsey appeared to be there physically but not spiritually. Same with P.Ramsey may she rest in peace. This is not an accusation because my opinion has nothing to do with the tragic loss of JonBenet. I am saying that they appeared to have come to that point before the death of their daughter.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,984,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbaltimore View Post
I saw an interview once where John Ramsey appeared to be there physically but not spiritually. I am saying that they appeared to have come to that point before the death of their daughter.
How did you know them before the death of the daughter? I don't remember any media attention they received before that horrible happening.

Also, do you have special vision to be able to perceive that a person is not there spiritually?

I am only saying this because it is not uncommon that people become emotionally flat after a life shattering tragedy. They can also have this 'flat' persona appearance from prescribed drugs which seem to soften the impact of such horrors by making you somewhat emotionally detached.

People with resources can react to these situations differently than poor folk. They can lawyer up immediately, which is a normal reaction since family are always regarded by police as the first suspects in these situations. Wealthy people can also visit psychiatrists during emotionally stressful times and so have access to drugs which deaden the pain they are going through.

I do not consider myself wealthy at all but found nothing odd in the behavior of these two people in such a circumstance. When my mom died I felt just flat and went through my life in a normal manner. It was not until many months had passed that I would find myself crying. Not everyone shows emotion readily, especially in public situations.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,663,894 times
If my daughter was missing or God forbid found dead I would co-operate to the fullest and not lawyer up.John Walsh and Mark Klauss both were interrogated when their children went missing and neither sought legal advice.I would do everything I could to quickly eliminate myself as the suspect so they could find the real culprit!Any behavior to the contrary is counter-intuitive!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
Not really, I am not defending the Ramseys, but I have been accused by the police of a crime I did not commit, and it was crazy. It is like being on an episode of the "Twilight Zone". I did get an attorney, to end the relentless questioning, only to be told if I was innocent I would not have "lawyered up"! Crazy!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,984,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
If my daughter was missing or God forbid found dead I would co-operate to the fullest and not lawyer up.John Walsh and Mark Klauss both were interrogated when their children went missing and neither sought legal advice.I would do everything I could to quickly eliminate myself as the suspect so they could find the real culprit!Any behavior to the contrary is counter-intuitive!
In Indiana they used to have the death penalty and use it. The governor did a study using DNA and found a third on death row were innocent. He refused to sign a death order for ANYONE, not wanting that on his conscience.

If there is this degree of error on capital crimes, when they are supposed to be extra careful, how much error can we assume is done on lesser crimes?

The first person they suspect is often a family member. Sometimes that guy ends up being railroaded because the police need more 'solved' crimes.

This is why innocent people, knowing the crime victim, if they have some money, lawyer up. Sure, you'd want to be eliminated as a suspect, but you could also be sent down the river when you are innocent.

My first instinct would be to cooperate in any way with the police, as is yours. But on second thought, I would also want to protect myself from injustice. It is often very hard to get out of the prison system once you are in there, even when your innocence can be proven. If people do manage to get out, through Project Innocence or something, it is next to impossible to expunge your record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime