Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 03:22 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,291,571 times

Advertisements

[quote=metroplex2003;1112895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Believe me, there are alot of people who bash Houston based on a first impression. They probably only saw a ghetto area in Houston and classified the whole place as ugly. Dallas people need to quit getting so defensive because one person didn't think it was "all that". Houston people get the crap bashed out of them all the time from media and outsiders. Dallas isn't exempt. Do you think Dallas is really perfect? Just let it go and Move on .[/QU

I never said Dallas wasnt exempt. I believe in previous posts that you may or may not have read that I mentioned certain suburbs in Dallas that if I first moved to town, I would think Dallas is the ugliest and most ghetto place in Texas. I really try to be objective in all this as much as possible...this was not meant to be an attack on Houston, or resurrect the Dallas vs. Houston talking smack debate...as I have pointed out ugly parts of Dallas also, but merely to try to describe the behavior of the lay consumer (tourist, or whatever you want to call it) on average based not on science, but mere observation over time.

And if you look at my previous posts, you can see my comments a/b St. Louis as well. I merely made an observation and if anything paid compliments to Houston. I do think first impressions as another has said are very important..but at the same time, I do believe both Dallas and Houston have neighborhoods that would and could change people's opinions, or first impressions. I can say that outside of Texas that people generally have their pre-conceptions a/b Texas and its cities...so it's interesting b/c going in with a certain attitude could predispose to look for negatives vs. positives....it introduces bias into the equation.

It's the classic half glass full vs. half glass empty argument.

I would like to believe that I've been to enough cities around the world now to not rely on my first impressions, but again sometimes I spend little time in cities. Example would be my upcoming trip to Miami which will only be a short 36 hr. stay...though been there before. Cities in general just fascinate me..to the point where I sound real nerdy when quoting statistics a/b far away places that do not pertain to me...but I do enjoy seeing what all cities large and small have to offer...it could be Tyler, TX to as large as Hong Kong; that's why pretty much every where I go I do rent a car and drive around (though gas is getting a bit high nowadays...but it's definitely fun) b/c it's fun to just explore.

Another example is Orlando...most people think of Orlando as Disney World and for those who like shopping "outlet shoppin"...but to those who actually bothered to explore Orlando, it's more than just Disney World...it's a legit city with some neat neighborhoods...they have nice little asian fusion district, Winter Park is nice, their downtown area has some neat things to see and do as well....actually enjoyed driving around.

Anyway, food for thought, nothing else...and really, not trying to offend anyone here or be on the defensive here either.
My comment wasn't even really directed at you personally. Sorry, i should've explained that.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:19 PM

20,544 posts, read 33,705,678 times
^^Who from Dallas was getting defensive, though? They are just sticking up for their city. And just as easily as Houston gets bashed, Houstonians will tell people where they need to go very quickly. Same with any other city.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:35 PM

35 posts, read 129,652 times
I love both cities so much!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,270,662 times
I just can't tell you how much fun it is to check out this thread after being away for the weekend.

Houstonians, you will actually be shocked to know that I was at a party Friday night in Lakewood talking to some people I have known casually for some time but I didn't know they used to live in Montrose (straight couple who worked at the Medical Center) we had quite an interesting and nostalgic conversation about a lot of the businesses which once were there and those which still exist. But I'm still going to keep up the Dallas vs. Houston rivalry!

And metroplex is right - I had a chance to explore St. Louis over the years with a good friend who was at Wash U. Law School and another from Southern Illinois (both of whom I met at SMU) and I loved it - yes and The Hill was great. Also I went to a convention in Cleveland (for my first and only visit) and was pleasantly surprised by all the attractions, including the warhouse restaurant area and also the friendly natives.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:58 PM

609 posts, read 2,926,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Dallas has three lines? I thought they were just adding two, the Orange/Green Line (which will run together for most if its route).

Everything else is Denton County or Fort Worth.
Actually to clarify...

DFW's rail is expanding in the following way:

DART: Orange/Green Line
Ft. Worth "T" : WIll be adding a new SW->NE Line into DFW Airport.
There is also the Cottonbelt Cooridor: Which may hit parts of Dallas city limits in its extreme northern sections, but will service the northern Dallas suburbs and prevent the need from connecting down in the central station in downtown. This line will also go to the airport as well, and be the 3rd line into the North Entry of DFW airport...they are still finalizing the plans as there was a big hang up on the use of heavy rail vs. light rail in the wealthier northern suburbs. It looks like a modified form of light rail is going to win out on this route, which will be nice, b/c it will allow the northern burbs to go directly into DFW Int'l without having to go downtown first, a common complaint among people who use our rail systems. St. Louis was smart with the Metrolink to have a connection at Lambert Int'l to start with...b/c so many people like to use rail service into airports in this country...it's very convenient...DFW is behind in that aspect, and now is catching up with 4 connections directly into the airport: 3 from the North Entry, 1 from the South....though it's going to take years to build...it's too bad that we didnt have enough foresight years ago.

Finally: the TRE (our heavy rail service) will be drafting plans soon to expand up into through the South Entry of DFW airport into the airport directly...it will be the only rail line servicing the "South Entry".

But the 3 new lines on the Dallas side are Orange, Green, and Cottonbelt.
Then there's 1 line in Ft. WOrth
And there's expansion of the TRE.

Now existing lines are also planning expansions as well...but that would take too long to write.

We're also incorporating a similar system that has been implemented in Pittsburgh that seems to be working well using a system of buses that act as a train in many ways....the jury is still out on that working in DFW.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,436,312 times
I thought the Blue Line would just be expanding into Rowlett and then south to I-20.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:39 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,282,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffisok View Post
I said the same exact thing last week. We spent 4 days (total) in Houston and was to spend the last 2 in Dallas. We drove up and by the time we were on the Dallas North Toll Road almost to our Hilton at Lincoln Center we wished we could have turned around and went back. We are relocating to Houston and CANNOT WAIT.

Dallas IS a nice city, don't get me wrong. So isn't San Antonio (We spent a day there) but Houston is definitely more cosmopolitan, attractive, and alive. And the restaurant choices are like no where else on earth I have ever seen.
I would have a bad impression of Dallas if I stayed at the Hilton at Lincoln Center too. You were technically in Dallas. But just barely.

I'd copy what Metro said above. The impression of the city depends upon where you're looking. There are plenty of people who judge books by their covers. But it doesn't mean it was an accuarate impression. I've been one of them myself.

My first few impressions of Houston were awful. But then it started to grow on me. I appreciated it for what it was. And life was much better.

Go to Lower Greenville, Knox-Henderson, Uptown, Victory Park, Lakewood, Swiss Avenue, Highland Park, and Dallas will seem like an absolute jewel of a city. Go to the suburbs, or far north Dallas, -- blah. Same thing goes for Houston. Go to Memorial, Piney Point, River Oaks, Montrose -- and Houston is cool. Go to Pasedena, Sugar Land, the Woodlands -- blah.

Both cities have a lot to be proud of. Both also have their "blah" factor.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I believe the Cotton Belt is the 3rd line. That's just a commuter line, though.
It looks like the citizens of N. Dallas and the Suburbs have favored a light rail line for the Cotton Belt vs. heavy rail like the TRE is today.

If you notice, there are some TRE trains that are pretty much subway cars.
That was the initial proposal for the Cotton Belt, but too many affluent neighborhoods didnt want the noise polution, so it's being switched to light rail...and it will bypass the need to make a conneciton at the main downtown station. It'll be nice for the northern commuters to connect to the airport and the Ft. Worth light rail line that is planned to enter into DFW airport at Terminal B.

Orange will be at Terminal A. Cottonbelt likely at Terminal A.

If you go to the DART website, they have this great new video promoting the Green Line expansion and they do a slight teaser on the upcoming orange line.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 PM

20,544 posts, read 33,705,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
It looks like the citizens of N. Dallas and the Suburbs have favored a light rail line for the Cotton Belt vs. heavy rail like the TRE is today.

If you notice, there are some TRE trains that are pretty much subway cars.
That was the initial proposal for the Cotton Belt, but too many affluent neighborhoods didnt want the noise polution, so it's being switched to light rail...and it will bypass the need to make a conneciton at the main downtown station. It'll be nice for the northern commuters to connect to the airport and the Ft. Worth light rail line that is planned to enter into DFW airport at Terminal B.

Orange will be at Terminal A. Cottonbelt likely at Terminal A.

If you go to the DART website, they have this great new video promoting the Green Line expansion and they do a slight teaser on the upcoming orange line.
I seen the one for the green a few weeks ago but there is one for the orange? MUST GO NOW to that site lol.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I seen the one for the green a few weeks ago but there is one for the orange? MUST GO NOW to that site lol.
Actually, it's briefly touched upon in the Green line video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas