Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,621 times

Advertisements

YES Let this experiment begin between the 2 cities. The loss of Rays fans in Tampa Bay, caused this all to happen.

2 Brand New Stadiums? absolutely not needed. Montreal has Olympic Stadium and Tampa Bay has Tropicana Field, both have nothing wrong with them.

The Home game schedule is a problem. It should be Month to Month, Instead of 3 months in Tampa Bay and 3 over in Montreal.

Instead, get rid of Season Tickets. Sell tickets to games like Movie Theaters are doing. You pick the day and seat you want. Most all of these Season Ticket Holders are bought from Corporations who never show up when the Rays are doing real bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
. Most all of these Season Ticket Holders are bought from Corporations who never show up when the Rays are doing real bad.
I don't think that's accurate. The Rays notoriously have very little corporate support and that's one of their major issues causing attendance problem. They rely on individual season tickets buyers much more than other teams like the Yankees who have a huge corporate support of block ticket purchases.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:33 PM

Just proves how much apathy there is about the team splitting its season.....not much uproar over this plan. They're trying to appease (got this letter today). Me, as a season ticket package buyer pretty much the last decade, I think I'm finished after this season - or at least when they leave the Trop. I have no interest in sitting in an outdoor stadium in May/June.

Dear Rays Fans-

We appreciate your support of Rays baseball. Last week, Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced that MLB is supportive of the Tampa Bay Rays exploring a Sister City model with Montreal. On Tuesday, Rays Principal Owner Stuart Sternberg spoke at the Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg about the club's desire to research a bold, innovative, shared-season model that allows the team to stay in Tampa Bay.

"We're asking for open minds," said Sternberg. "We want to do this because we are champions of Tampa Bay. We believe in Tampa Bay, we live in Tampa Bay, we desperately want the Rays to stay in Tampa Bay."

This concept is in the very preliminary stages of its development. As we move forward, we expect to find answers to the myriad questions that will bring us closer to our goal of keeping major league baseball in Tampa Bay for generations to come.

Again, we thank you for your support of the Rays, and we ask that you consider this new and innovative idea with an open mind.

Rays Up!
Matt Silverman Brian Auld
President President

Old 06-27-2019, 03:47 AM

834 posts, read 528,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
that's what they do - go back the last ten seasons --- or just last season - they were a WC contender and traded one of their better pitchers Archer.
Only you could spin that as a negative. Meadows and Glasnow for Archer has the potential of being one of the greatest deals in sports history. Before he was injured, week 7 or so, Glasnow was the best pitcher in baseball. Through early June Meadows was the AL MVP.. Meadows has cooled off but is still All-Star caliber. The Rays also got the Pirates 12th overall pick in 2017, pitcher Shane Baz.

Archer Is currently 3-6 with a 5.56 ERA. The Rays would have a losing record this year without that trade. SMH....

And this Montreal idea is brilliant. It's still a longshot and I bet the team gets moved completely, but I'd live to see it work. Unfortunately, people like TBMorgan are forcing the team out for good.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post

And this Montreal idea is brilliant. .
you're in the small minority on the split city idea - as for Glasnow and Meadow - those two could easily be traded/harvested in the season or two - because that's what the Rays do ---harvest their players....maybe if they outright moved completely, they'd actually keep them and re-sign them.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:49 AM

7 GB. Ouch. Seems like just a week ago they were on top. Precipitous drop sounds like a big THUD. Cy Young looks like Gig Young lately. Injuries have hurt. Not sure telling the team they may be moving to Montreal in a few seasons wasn't helpful. NYY playing well despite all their injuries.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:43 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
Video too long and I could not get past the speechifying in the opener.

Two stadiums in two cities in two countries?

Maybe he should sell the team back to MLB and let someone else take over the Rays to a new city.

I will watch the Yankees/Boston game in London and see how it works out fan wise.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Video too long and I could not get past the speechifying in the opener.

Two stadiums in two cities in two countries?

Maybe he should sell the team back to MLB and let someone else take over the Rays to a new city.

I will watch the Yankees/Boston game in London and see how it works out fan wise.
Those two historical teams ought to draw a crowd. The real test is subjecting the Brits to 162 games of long ass, boring snoozefest games. But then again, they watch soccer and cricket......

Old 06-29-2019, 02:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Those two historical teams ought to draw a crowd. The real test is subjecting the Brits to 162 games of long ass, boring snoozefest games. But then again, they watch soccer and cricket......
I think the game in London was a sell out

Yanks won!

I have been to a World Cup Game, many Olympic Soccer games. All great. Never did attend a cricket game so I withhold comment there.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:39 PM

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...d-sox-17-13-uk

30 runs total.....gives the UK a false impression of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay