Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM

315 posts, read 624,188 times

Advertisements

This is completely "Devils Advocate" but just for fun because it makes for heated debate heehee ; )

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. "Redcliffe"

The Charleston area is the nations 75th most dense "Urban Area" (1833/sq mile)
The Columbia area is the nations 77th most dense "Urban Area" (1553/sq mile)
The Augusta/Richmond County area is 92nd most dense "Urban Area" (1448/sq mile)
The Greenville area is NOT listed in the 100 most dense "Urban Area" rankings (ranked 103 at 1334/sq mile)

Is it true that there are at least 3 more "Urban" areas in SC than Greenville???????? In fact, Greenville is listed in the "second tier/ 101-199 areas right along with good neighbor Spartanburg at #194 (1194/sq mile).

Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,340,914 times
Doesn't matter that much to retailers and other companies. Keep believing all of this stuff lol. Greenville is last, yet it still has more options than most the places you just listed. Hmmm. Also, are those 2000 numbers?

Old 09-25-2011, 02:58 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,618,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Doesn't matter that much to retailers and other companies. Keep believing all of this stuff lol. Greenville is last, yet it still has more options than most the places you just listed. Hmmm. Also, are those 2000 numbers?
Retailers also look for available space in the right local location, a favorable lease, and in some cases a willingness to locate in a B+/A- mall/center for the option to locate in a developers higher ranked malls. I would not use retailers as a basis for the economic vitality of a metro. It is not surprising that Charleston & Columbia have more density than Greenville, that is visable to the eye.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
More options as to what? Retailers?

Well........I'll disagree, seeing that North Charleston has for 13 years straight led the state in retail sales: North Charleston, SC | Cities and Towns | Charleston Builders.com

So I suppose North Chuck, not Greenville, is the place retailers would pick 1st, although I'm sure G'ville would be high on the list.

I don't see where G'Ville has "more options" than the Charleston and Columbia areas. Can you go parasailing in Greenville? Deep sea fishing? Have a beer at a bar that George Washington slept in?

I think those are 2000 numbers. But.....if we used 2010 numbers....it would show Charleston suburb Mount Pleasant grew from 20,000 residents to over 70,000....surpassing Greenville to take the states 4th largest city title

Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Retailers also look for available space in the right local location, a favorable lease, and in some cases a willingness to locate in a B+/A- mall/center for the option to locate in a developers higher ranked malls. I would not use retailers as a basis for the economic vitality of a metro. It is not surprising that Charleston & Columbia have more density than Greenville, that is visable to the eye.

Very true. I can say for a fact that the malls in the upstate are much nicer than the Charleston area. For one, most retail is done in the outdoor malls and downtown Charleston, but second, the retail here is pushed by tourism a lot. So the traditional malls aren't as popular as the touristy downtown area is. The malls down here do suck though, that 2 story one in G'ville is far better than the 4 malls in Charleston.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 PM

So what?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So what?
So.....I was asking you a question. You said Gville offers "more options" than any of the above, and retailers prefer Gville.

I pointed that North Charleston is the states leading city for retail for 13 years straight, and wondered what "options" or what nature of options Gville offers, as you said, that Charleston, or Columbia, do not.

I plan to visit Gville again soon. Just thought you'd fill me on on what options I'd have there that I dont in Charleston, since you say there are many more

Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 PM

The whole debate is tiresome, and I don't really have time. You can research it just as well. Statistics are a pick and choose affair. You can dissect things in many ways. Doesn't make a place better than the other. If Greenville couldn't compete as the both of you believe, we wouldn't even be discussing this endlessly. You won't change my mind, and it's pretty obvious I'm not going to change yours.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The whole debate is tiresome, and I don't really have time. You can research it just as well. Statistics are a pick and choose affair. You can dissect things in many ways. Doesn't make a place better than the other. If Greenville couldn't compete as the both of you believe, we wouldn't even be discussing this endlessly. You won't change my mind, and it's pretty obvious I'm not going to change yours.
You might. Thats why I asked. You said Greenville offers many more options than Charleston or Columbia. I'm visiting soon, as I have family in Sptbg. So, I don't wanna miss out on the options Gville offers that Charleston doesn't, so as a fellow SC native, I was just asking. Thats not very hospitable of a Greenville resident....as us folks in Charleston would be more than happy to recommend to you some great things to do.

You're right about stats. You mention the G'ville "CSA" a lot, which Charleston doesn't have one assigned due to the fact it's an Urban Core (as the Census says is the reason it doesn't have a CSA assigned). But the Gville CSA stretches from Cherokee County all the way through Oconee Co to the GA border. Which would be like including Columbia or Savannah in Charlestons metro population....since both distances are the same as Occonnee to Cherokee.

But....I just wanted to not miss out on Gville options that you said I would. Not even 1 or 2 suggestions? Surely you have a few since you say there are more options up there.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Most have been mentioned in the Greenville forum. I apologize if you feel I'm not being hospitable. Thats not the case. I'm just tired are debating this subject with the same people, that I know I can't change. Thats my own fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina