Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times

Advertisements

Columbia and Charleston leaders are jealous of Greenville's prosperity and to show just how much they hate us up here in the upstate, they decided to let the I-385 closure happen: Interstate closure sparks political soul-searching | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News No way this happens in the midlands or coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:49 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Looks like this isn't about Columbia or Charleston politicians "hating" Greenville as much as it is about Greenville not having enough political clout in the Legislature. When there's nobody looking out for you, there's no one to speak out on behalf of your interests. And when you do have that clout, you get things like BMW in the Upstate. Or shall we say that at that time, the Upstate "hated" Columbia and Charleston?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:42 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
All that Upstate and Lowcountry legislators think Columbia is is a place for them to meet to try to compete with each other and compare notes on their perceptions of how they're better than Columbia.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Quote:
just how much they hate us up here in the upstate...
Well, I guess it's not paranoia if they're really out to get ya', but your accusations assume this ship of fools in Columbia is capable of cognitive planning. The I-385 actions are idiocy, but it's just another example of the dysfunctional family we call SC gov't not having a clue what each other is doing and totally oblivious to the implications of their actions.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Columbia and Charleston leaders are jealous of Greenville's prosperity and to show just how much they hate us up here in the upstate, they decided to let the I-385 closure happen: Interstate closure sparks political soul-searching | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News No way this happens in the midlands or coast.
On some points of this post I do believe that you are right......it is quite common to have regional competition among the metros and of course when one metro has more power then the other there is a problem. But when you mention jealousy over Greenville's prosperity that gives me reason for pause!

Picture of the unemployment line stretching outside of the unemployment office (Onestop office) located on Pendleton street in Greenville! Was driving by during my recent visit to Greenville........was so shocked by the scene that I had to stop and take a picture with my cell phone. Not sure the word prosperity can be used to describe what is happening in Greenville! As you can see from these pictures Greenville is in the same boat as Charleston and Columbia so jealous over what?

http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f6846%5fAHnOjkQAAVshSz%2b85wNcYg%2 f4yKk&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)

http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f3306828%5fAHTOjkQAACNFS0C0AwrMvDd 1Vco&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1 (broken link)

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 01-03-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
I doubt even a few people in the entire state are jealous of the unemployment rate in any part of the state. Such an assumption during a global economic recession of this magnitude could be considered completely unreasonable.

At any rate, yes, the Greenville area has been quite prosperous for over a decade, by South Carolina standards.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
I know one thing. If I lived in what I believed was the greatest city in the world, I wouldn't spend so much time bashing a place I had no interest in.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Looks like this isn't about Columbia or Charleston politicians "hating" Greenville as much as it is about Greenville not having enough political clout in the Legislature. When there's nobody looking out for you, there's no one to speak out on behalf of your interests. And when you do have that clout, you get things like BMW in the Upstate. Or shall we say that at that time, the Upstate "hated" Columbia and Charleston?
hmmm...and the reason Charlotte gets shafted from Raleigh all the time????......????
Does Charlotte not have good representation? Lord knows we that work in the Charlotte metro area but live in SC, think the 485 thing is beyond laughter anymore.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
hmmm...and the reason Charlotte gets shafted from Raleigh all the time????......????
Does Charlotte not have good representation? Lord knows we that work in the Charlotte metro area but live in SC, think the 485 thing is beyond laughter anymore.
It's a totally different story up here. But I will say that, if anything, it's not Raleigh the city that's shafting Charlotte; it's the rural eastern NC politicians that are shafting Charlotte. But that's NC politics and this isn't the forum for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina