Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,336,191 times

Advertisements

Blah, blah, blah. Lol

Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,579,821 times
[quote=NewYorkBorn;20942735][quote=reed067;20935990][quote=NewYorkBorn;20891320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

When I mention Charleston SC to people here in NYC they instantly know about Charleston......not the same for Greenville!

Cities with name recognition attract more people......more people coming to that city means more/better quality jobs for residents. While I understand the appeal for many to keep the crowds away.....I believe doing so will also keep better quality jobs and progress away too. Notice I said "better quality jobs" and not just more jobs. Greenville does not exactly have the most diverse job market.....which is exactly what keeps it from becoming so well known!

Have to strike some kind of balance.....do not want to have a city that caters mainly to retirees because it's economy does not offer enough jobs and also do not want a city that depends only on tourism. A great city will have both.

Just my opinion......but yes it all comes down to preferences and people's needs.
And, you think Charleston has a fantastic job market? Some people I know who live there and are underemployed, should probably know about this. Somehow Greenville and Charleston are thought to be worlds apart? I don't get it, or why this thread keeps going on and on about absolutely nothing, but someone's opinions who lives in NYC and another who thinks everything outside Charleston's coastal empire is just a bunch of hicks.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,801 times
[quote=gvillesc;20943683][quote=NewYorkBorn;20942735][quote=reed067;20935990]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post

And, you think Charleston has a fantastic job market? Some people I know who live there and are underemployed, should probably know about this. Somehow Greenville and Charleston are thought to be worlds apart? I don't get it, or why this thread keeps going on and on about absolutely nothing, but someone's opinions who lives in NYC and another who thinks everything outside Charleston's coastal empire is just a bunch of hicks.
Can you show me where in my post I said that Charleston has a fantastic job market or where anyone said that "everything outside Charleston's coastal empire is just a bunch of hicks?

Although because of its name recognition and history I do feel that Charleston has the edge over Greenville. Maybe if you stop answering others comments then the thread will stop "going on and on" as you put it.....do you see the contradiction in your position?

I know and this opinion from a person who lives in NYC! Over 8 million people in one city and the most powerful city on the planet earth.....what was I thinking giving my opinion?

"The New York metropolitan area had approximately gross metropolitan product of $1.13 trillion in 2005,[170][171] making it the largest regional economy in the United States and, according to IT Week, the second largest city economy in the world.[172] According to Cinco Dias, New York controlled 40% of the world's finances by the end of 2008, making it the largest financial center in the world.[173][174][175]"

http://247wallst.com/2011/09/14/amer...oorest-states/

South Carolina is no. 7 on the list......yeah keep people out so that your cities won't become crowded.....it is really working great for you!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 09-19-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,579,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Can you show me where in my post I said that Charleston has a fantastic job market or where anyone said that "everything outside Charleston's coastal empire is just a bunch of hicks?
My post says "...and another who thinks", which most people would understand as another person stated something, not you. Did you go to school in NY too?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
[quote=NewYorkBorn;20942735][quote=reed067;20935990][quote=NewYorkBorn;20891320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

When I mention Charleston SC to people here in NYC they instantly know about Charleston......not the same for Greenville!

Cities with name recognition attract more people......more people coming to that city means more/better quality jobs for residents. While I understand the appeal for many to keep the crowds away.....I believe doing so will also keep better quality jobs and progress away too. Notice I said "better quality jobs" and not just more jobs. Greenville does not exactly have the most diverse job market.....which is exactly what keeps it from becoming so well known!

Have to strike some kind of balance.....do not want to have a city that caters mainly to retirees because it's economy does not offer enough jobs and also do not want a city that depends only on tourism. A great city will have both.

Just my opinion......but yes it all comes down to preferences and people's needs.

I dont think the name means BETTER jobs just more.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,336,191 times
And thats even up for debate.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 PM

315 posts, read 623,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
True. In such a comparison, metropolitan populations must be considered. However, Charleston's average tourist population is also an important factor to consider.

I don't know why people care so much about population, city size, etc. But, to clarify.....

Yes, the Greenville and Charleston "metro areas" are around the same size.

However,

The Greenville Metro Area includes EIGHT counties
The Charleston Metro Area includes THREE counties.

Plus, the Charleston area is basically limited in growth by the ocean that cuts it in half. Greenville are has 360 degree growth area, Charleston 180 because of the ocean. Thats why Charleston is, and feels, much more "dense" than the spread out upstate area.

If Charleston "metro" area was counted like Greenville, it would include 5 more counties. Not sure why Census did it that way, but they did.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM

11,709 posts, read 24,819,290 times
The Greenville metro area only includes three counties actually which are Greenville, Pickens, and Laurens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenvi...ropolitan_area

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM

And my humble opinion on this.....

Charleston's artificial population, which includes countless year-round tourists, is unknown. But it's always crowded as sh** here. Great place to live though. Although crime rate is getting really bad.

Greenville is a nice place to live, have lived in that area before. Kind too "mountain man"-ish for me though. The NASCAR crowd, hicks, very gossipy and "twang" like culture mixed in with the artsy folks. Just an odd mix to me.

As for jobs, the whole state sucks. But Charlestons blooming aviation community is gonna thrive for decades.

In summer time, the coastal stretch of Wilmington-Myrtle Beach-Charelston-Hilton Head-Savannah is tough to beat. Anything and everything you could ever want within 3 hours of each other up and down the coast.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The Greenville metro area only includes three counties actually which are Greenville, Pickens, and Laurens: Greenville

Oops, my fault, I meant the CSA, not metro area. Charleston isn't included as an CSA for some reason. Greenville is, along with 8 counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina