Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,401,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I have been told that downtown Greenville is better than Charlotte
I have heard some Charlotte residents share that opinion, but it does not mean their opinion is better or worse than yours.
Quote:
that the drive have the best baseball stadium in SC
You have declared a different ballpark in a different city is the "best in SC." Is your opinion worth more than those who disagree?
Quote:
Greenville is a nice town and has done well with Main St.
While any compliment from you to Greenville would be a rare gift, alas I perceive yet another jab at Greenville, merely disguised as a compliment. Par for the GSP101 course. While Main Street is indeed an attractive place, as is true in most successful cities, much of Greenville's attractiveness is scattered within a thirty mile radius around the central business district.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,618,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
What is your point? I did not attempt to deny your statement. A county with less than 100,000 residents can grow at a faster rate than a county with nearly 500,000 for a variety of reasons. Likewise, the larger county can gain a higher number of new residents for a variety of reasons. Neither case should be used as evidence that either county is "better" than the other. If a county's growth rate dips into a negative percentage, then there is clearly a problem.
The point is that percentage rate of growth is the typical measure of how fast areas are growing. Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta and others typically grow at faster rates than other US metros. The rate is based on percentage growth, not raw data. Just like other fields, the raw data is the starting point for analysis. And just to settle this whole debate, here are the metro growth rates, raw numbers and percentage growth from 2000 - 2009:

Charleston added 110k residents for a growth rate of 20.1%
Greenville added 79.6k residents for a rate of 14.2%
Columbia added 97.4k residents for a rate of 15.1%.

This data can be found on the US Census website.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I have heard some Charlotte residents share that opinion, but it does not mean their opinion is better or worse than yours.
You have declared a different ballpark in a different city is the "best in SC." Is your opinion worth more than those who disagree?
While any compliment from you to Greenville would be a rare gift, alas I perceive yet another jab at Greenville, merely disguised as a compliment. Par for the GSP101 course. While Main Street is indeed an attractive place, as is true in most successful cities, much of Greenville's attractiveness is scattered within a thirty mile radius around the central business district.
First, how would you even begin to compare Charlotte and Greenville, they are completely different. That is exactly why I think statements like that are silly. If you all want to compare the cities and make claims of green ill's superiority, go for it. However, it makes little sense.

As for the ballparks, my opinion is that Carolina Stadium is the best, others may disagree but, you are the one who brought up some minor league ballpark critic as a basis for Greenville's superiority. Do you know if the guy has even seen other stadiums in SC?

As for the compliment, Greenville has a nice downtown. I think the 30mile comment is a stretch, laurels, Haywood, woodruff and Pelham roads are not e
Examples of smart growth.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
And just to settle this whole debate
What debate?

Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM

521 posts, read 1,152,813 times
Default It all depends what you like, i suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
And my humble opinion on this.....

Charleston's artificial population, which includes countless year-round tourists, is unknown. But it's always crowded as sh** here. Great place to live though. Although crime rate is getting really bad.

Greenville is a nice place to live, have lived in that area before. Kind too "mountain man"-ish for me though. The NASCAR crowd, hicks, very gossipy and "twang" like culture mixed in with the artsy folks. Just an odd mix to me.

As for jobs, the whole state sucks. But Charlestons blooming aviation community is gonna thrive for decades.

In summer time, the coastal stretch of Wilmington-Myrtle Beach-Charelston-Hilton Head-Savannah is tough to beat. Anything and everything you could ever want within 3 hours of each other up and down the coast.
It is nice to be near the ocean, no doubt about that! Which famous aviation company has just moved to Charleston? Was it Boeing?

I cannot remember..Yeah, but we like the mountains too. Yes, i don't mind hanging out with the "hicks" myself. They're pretty easy going people, if you must know, generally speaking..
Plus you got Asheville, NC is just up the road, very nice town/city to visit.. You got some great Concert Halls too, in Greeneville, Bi-Lo, the Peace Center, lots of country towns nearby.
Well, Mercedes-Bentz has made its mark in Greeneville! Lots of good jobs out in the area now.. definitely different than it was a decade ago.
How is the humidity level though in Charleston, as opposed to say greeneville, sc?
Wilmington is wicked humid in the summer, so I'm guessing charleston is too. course, you got the sea breezes...
It's all what you are looking for I guess...I think that Myrtle Beach myself is kinda over developed...though the ocean is nice & calm.

You think that Greeneville is "gossipy"? well, at least they are not half as "gossipy" or rude as they are in some parts of the North East... especially near the coastal states, not so much up near the Canadian border, but closer to NY state...
Just cuz some place is well known doesn't always work out to its advantage. Not always.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
First, how would you even begin to compare Charlotte and Greenville, they are completely different. That is exactly why I think statements like that are silly.
People are free to express an opinion and you compare Greenville to Charlotte more than anyone else I have seen on City-Data.com.

Quote:
As for the ballparks, my opinion is that Carolina Stadium is the best, others may disagree but, you are the one who brought up some minor league ballpark critic as a basis for Greenville's superiority. Do you know if the guy has even seen other stadiums in SC?
B.S. I would never use relatively small ballparks as a basis to compare the significance of two cities. The "critic" in question looks at more than minor league ballparks. The new Busch Stadium in St. Louis was among the competitors in 2006. Nonetheless, awards do not dictate my opinion about Fluor Field at the West End, nor have I ever said Carolina Stadium is insignificant or inadequate.

Quote:
Greenville has a nice downtown.
Of course it does. And there are many other attractive places outside its downtown.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
People are free to express an opinion and you compare Greenville to Charlotte more than anyone else I have seen on City-Data.com.

B.S. I would never use relatively small ballparks as a basis to compare the significance of two cities. The "critic" in question looks at more than minor league ballparks. The new Busch Stadium in St. Louis was among the competitors in 2006. Nonetheless, awards do not dictate my opinion about Fluor Field at the West End, nor have I ever said Carolina Stadium is insignificant or inadequate.

Of course it does. And there are many other attractive places outside its downtown.
Charlotte is only brought into the conversation for illustrative purposes. It is normally a Greenville poster who says that Greenville has a better downtown etc.....

As for the ballpark, noone suggested that you are using ballparks as an indication of a cities' greatness. But, you did suggest that because some "ballpark expert" gave an award to Fluor Field that it must be better than Carolina Stadium. Interesting.........

I am not sure what you want people to say. This entire series of posts started when you wanted to paint Greenville as the fastest growing area of SC. When the facts suggested otherwise, you began other arguments. Do you just want for everyone to agree with you that Greenville is better than Charleston, Columbia, Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro? You liked the city so much that you moved to Pennsylvania.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Charlotte is only brought into the conversation for illustrative purposes. It is normally a Greenville poster who says that Greenville has a better downtown etc.....
Is this true? It is easy to fabricate absolute statements, whether fact or fiction. Please show us.

Quote:
As for the ballpark, noone suggested that you are using ballparks as an indication of a cities' greatness.
Quote:
you are the one who brought up some minor league ballpark critic as a basis for Greenville's superiority.
?

Quote:
This entire series of posts started when you wanted to paint Greenville as the fastest growing area of SC. When the facts suggested otherwise, you began other arguments. Do you just want for everyone to agree with you that Greenville is better than Charleston, Columbia, Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro?
B.S. Where did I post anything in this thread that says the Greenville area is the fastest growing area in SC? Do you want everyone to agree with you that all of these cities are better than Greenville? Seriously, Greenville could learn some valuable lessons from each of these cities and vice-versa.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 PM

315 posts, read 624,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
GSP. When you say, "should be doing better" what do you mean? Seems to be doing well to me. It doesn't really lack anything in comparison to msa's of similar size. When you say, I'm trying to make it look bigger; I'm lost. Are things like csa to not be considered? I didn't create it. Also, do you not feel the presence of places in the upstate being tied together? For example, GSP international is in Spartanburg; but identifies heavily with Greenville. I can actually watch planes leaving and landing right here from the Woodruff rd area. Lots of Greenville people work at places like BMW, while on the same hand; lots of people from Anderson, Spartanburg, commute to Greenville to work at places like GE. I see it everyday. So are we to disregard this, and just the info you provide? Doesn't that hide the whole picture?
I think they are saying that you use "CSA" to compare G'ville, which includes 8 counties stretched out and joined by a hundred or so miles of interstate. But, for whatever reason, the Census Bureau didn't use a CSA for the Columbia or Charleston areas. If so, Charleston's "CSA" would include the Myrtle Beach and Savannah areas, since they are both about an hour away, which is the diameter the G'ville CSA seems to include. Since, as you say, so many people from all around the upstate are connected or "feel the presence" of each other.............well, people from Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach also seem to be very well connected, but aren't included in any type of CSA that you cite.

They also share another difference in viewpoint from yours. They typically don't care whose population is bigger/smaller. Maybe the ocean distracts them. I dunno.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:40 PM

315 posts, read 624,188 times
Quote:

As for the ballpark, noone suggested that you are using ballparks as an indication of a cities' greatness. But, you did suggest that because some "ballpark expert" gave an award to Fluor Field that it must be better than Carolina Stadium. Interesting.........

I am not sure what you want people to say. This entire series of posts started when you wanted to paint Greenville as the fastest growing area of SC. When the facts suggested otherwise, you began other arguments. Do you just want for everyone to agree with you that Greenville is better than Charleston, Columbia, Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro? You liked the city so much that you moved to Pennsylvania.
This one is easy to sum up. Go downtown Greenville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Charleston, Columbia, Raliegh. Greenville has the easiest downtown to find parking. That says enough for each to pick which downtown best suits them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina