Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,339,906 times

Advertisements

I think the pot is calling the kettle black here. I'm merely giving a different point of view. Inferiority complex? Usually the first to mention something like that, is the one who has the problem. If I felt that way, I'd just move there. I have the means to live pretty much wherever. People tend to type things that they wouldn't say in person. Sort of like the person with road rage. I think thats why you are throwing jabs. I'm sure you aren't like this in person. If we can't discuss without the attacks, maybe we should end here.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 PM

315 posts, read 624,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I think the pot is calling the kettle black here. I'm merely giving a different point of view. Inferiority complex? Usually the first to mention something like that, is the one who has the problem. If I felt that way, I'd just move there. I have the means to live pretty much wherever. People tend to type things that they wouldn't say in person. Sort of like the person with road rage. I think thats why you are throwing jabs. I'm sure you aren't like this in person. If we can't discuss without the attacks, maybe we should end here.
I'm not attacking, I'm just curious. Why does city "size" matter so much? Why is it even an issue to you? If someone told me that Savannah is a bigger city than Charleston, I would not feel a need to "give a different point of view". I wouldn't care really. You type stuff like "you know the truth" and make an issue of it, like there is some plot to make Greenville seem smaller than it is, for whatever reason.

But I see you are a real estate agent. Now I get it

Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 PM

People looking to move read this stuff. I'm just giving them more sides than one.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
luv the banter, can someone tell me if I moved from Long Island, NY, (20 minutes from the city) how bored will I be in Greenville? I'm looking for somewhere not that humid & not over-crowded. Any suggestions?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 AM

Greenville forum

Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
Quote:
And thats even up for debate.

Very true.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM

55 posts, read 129,956 times
Quote:
Here is the deal guys. Some may take offense. Charleston is very old. I would guess it's about as old as Boston, and is also a port city. For some reason Boston exploded in size. Not sure why Charleston didn't. Now, let my say this. Greenville is fairly new south. It doesn't have a port, no major college presence, and it's not the center of the state. The only thing it had to work with is a tiny dirty river. Despite having none of this, it is still flourishing. The other msa's should be way ahead, but they aren't. Why is this? Here is why. Good old fashion hard work. The people here go after what they want the area to transform to. This is what attracted me to the area. There is a reason Greenville county has 450k+ people. I invite all of you who haven't been here recently to, to pay a visit. What some of you think is way off base.
...and a little road connecting Charlotte to Atlanta. Despite feeding off of these two huge metros, why does Greenville still have the lowest population growth since 2000 of the three SC cities? Clearly they're the only city in SC that's flourishing...

Last edited by MikeCola; 09-22-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCola View Post
...and a little road connecting Charlotte to Atlanta. Despite feeding off of these two huge metros, why does Greenville still have the lowest population growth since 2000 of the three SC cities? Clearly they're the only city in SC that's flourishing...
Because it's growth is in the burbs. There are many different ways to view it.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,966,793 times
Quote:
Here is the deal guys. Some may take offense. Charleston is very old. I would guess it's about as old as Boston, and is also a port city. For some reason Boston exploded in size. Not sure why Charleston didn't. Now, let my say this. Greenville is fairly new south. It doesn't have a port, no major college presence, and it's not the center of the state. The only thing it had to work with is a tiny dirty river. Despite having none of this, it is still flourishing. The other msa's should be way ahead, but they aren't. Why is this? Here is why. Good old fashion hard work. The people here go after what they want the area to transform to. This is what attracted me to the area. There is a reason Greenville county has 450k+ people. I invite all of you who haven't been here recently to, to pay a visit. What some of you think is way off base.

You ask why Boston grew and Charleston did not. Well a little problem arose in 1861 that stunted the growth of Charleston for over a hundred years. At the time of the Civil war Charleston was one of the largest cities in the country, especially in the South. What would Charleston be today if it wasn't for the Civil war. Another Boston? Maybe, we can only speculate. It was a growing city at that time and it would have continued to grow.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,400,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You ask why Boston grew and Charleston did not. Well a little problem arose in 1861 that stunted the growth of Charleston for over a hundred years. At the time of the Civil war Charleston was one of the largest cities in the country, especially in the South. What would Charleston be today if it wasn't for the Civil war. Another Boston? Maybe, we can only speculate. It was a growing city at that time and it would have continued to grow.
That should have been obvious to any properly educated U.S. citizen. Apparently at least one state has been allowed to rewrite history for its public school curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina