Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:39 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,340,914 times

Advertisements

Glad I could fix this thread. Lol

Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,967,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Annexation is why, not pure growth.
Thank you. They sure had me fooled with all of these people coming here. You mean we had them all of this time and did not know it? I guess everone just grew up and bought cars and homes and stuff. Why did they say we had large growth here? I guess they lied too. Charleston has grown by leaps and bounds in the last twenty years and it was not by annexation it was from people moving in. A lot of people here are not from Charleston but from Northern States. Charleston city is double the population than Greenville. Even North Charleston is bigger than Greenville. It won't be long before Mt Pleasant and Summerville will be bigger tan Greenville.

The population was counted by the U.S. Census in 2010 at 120,083, making it the second most populous city in South Carolina, closely behind the state capital Columbia. Current trends put Charleston as the fastest-growing municipality in South Carolina. The city is one of three principal cities of a metropolitan statistical area of 659,191—the second largest in the state—and the 76th-largest metropolitan statistical area in the United States.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,580,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Thank you. They sure had me fooled with all of these people coming here. You mean we had them all of this time and did not know it? I guess everone just grew up and bought cars and homes and stuff. Why did they say we had large growth here? I guess they lied too. Charleston has grown by leaps and bounds in the last twenty years and it was not by annexation it was from people moving in. A lot of people here are not from Charleston but from Northern States. Charleston city is double the population than Greenville. Even North Charleston is bigger than Greenville. It won't be long before Mt Pleasant and Summerville will be bigger tan Greenville.

The population was counted by the U.S. Census in 2010 at 120,083, making it the second most populous city in South Carolina, closely behind the state capital Columbia. Current trends put Charleston as the fastest-growing municipality in South Carolina. The city is one of three principal cities of a metropolitan statistical area of 659,191—the second largest in the state—and the 76th-largest metropolitan statistical area in the United States.
What he is saying is not that Charleston hasn't grown, but by annexing property, they've been able to capture some of that growth in their boundaries. Charleston has 90 something square miles to its name. Greenville has 26 or so. Thus, if Greenville tripled its land area, it too would have a significantly larger population.

At the end of the day, Greenville and Charleston areas are essentially the same size in terms of population.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Forget that I tried to explain. I guess Charlotte is really larger than Atlanta too? Lol

Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Forget that I tried to explain. I guess Charlotte is really larger than Atlanta too? Lol
Apparently you do not have the ability to explain. I was talking about the populations of the two cities and you want to count the whole area with the cities.

Charlotte city pop. 731,424

Atlanta city pop 420,003

Again City populations

Last edited by Scotty011; 08-27-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Apparently you do not have the ability to explain. I was talking about the populations of the two cities and you want to count the whole area with the cities.

Charlotte city pop. 731,424

Atlanta city pop 420,003

Again City populations
Oh, I know exactly what I meant to explain, and everyone else understands it. According to this Charlotte is almost twice the size of the ATL. You and I both know that in reality Atlanta is a lot larger though. Right?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know exactly what I meant to explain, and everyone else understands it. According to this Charlotte is almost twice the size of the ATL. You and I both know that in reality Atlanta is a lot larger though. Right?

Do you have any idea at all what I was saying? Apparently not. Do you know what city population is by any means? I am talking about the city population ONLY not the metro area of other towns and the whole D@@@ county.

City size Atlanta is ranked #40

City size Charlotte is ranked #17

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Do you have any idea at all what I was saying? Apparently not. Do you know what city population is by any means? I am talking about the city population ONLY not the metro area of other towns and the whole D@@@ county.

City size Atlanta is ranked #40

City size Charlotte is ranked #17
I gotcha, but a better representation of a city's true size is it's urban area; in my opinion. City population, especially in South Carolina can be very misleading. Our state has some very tough annexation laws. Residents have to agree to being annexed. But yes I understand, and you are right. I'm just saying, in South Carolina you have to look beyond city limits to get a better feel for true size.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I gotcha, but a better representation of a city's true size is it's urban area; in my opinion. City population, especially in South Carolina can be very misleading. Our state has some very tough annexation laws. Residents have to agree to being annexed. But yes I understand, and you are right. I'm just saying, in South Carolina you have to look beyond city limits to get a better feel for true size.

Yes I agree with what you are saying.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,401,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
At the end of the day, Greenville and Charleston areas are essentially the same size in terms of population.
True. In such a comparison, metropolitan populations must be considered. However, Charleston's average tourist population is also an important factor to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina