Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,809,677 times

Advertisements

Although I hate to enter a thread at closing time, I couldn't help but stop by your comment and offer you a bit of welcome insight,
just another internet traveler with a "he ain't heavy, he's my brother" attitude. I can sense that your sack is "to the wall", you are really
down and out. I can empathize with you, I'm a poor man too but I never look at life as though it were an endless fountain of blessings,
heartaches and unrealized expectations. sometimes, we have to take it right on the chin, deal with life on a one-to-one basis, we got to
"man-up", do the right thing. I could patronize you with jingo and pep-slogans, give you the old college cheer, fluff you up with an internet
measure of confidence and blow smoke up your butt, but that is not my direction.

Never feel that you don't have options, you do have options.
Some are more viable than others but only you can decide upon how to deal
with what appears to be a failed life as lived on the precipice of the abyss, no job, no bread, no friends, no one here to help you through this
unbearable stage of your obviously wasted life. Have you been entertaining thoughts of suicide? Surely, things can't be that bad, can they?
You wouldn't be considering the prospect of killing yourself, would you? How would you do it if you felt the need? Jeeeze, I don't want to be
coming off as morbid but the realist within me is always posing a similar question to my subconscious mind, "how will you deal with death"?

I don't know whether you have family members who will be asked to verify your jewelry or your face, there on a cold mortuary slab
but before you make that final decision to end your life, you owe it to those whom you will be leaving behind, to die with a bit of dignity.
Things will work out, the clouds will part and once again, the sun will shine for you. put away those thoughts of putting the vacuum hose over
your idling tailpipe and piping the carbon-monoxide, into the passenger compartment, stop thinking about taking an overdose or even just
hanging yourself from the garage rafters. Face it like a man, you will succeed if you let yourself succeed and the more text messages that you
send out, the better the chances that things will start going your way. I don't even want to suggest it but could it be that you've pi$$ed
God off, somewhere along the way of your miserable life? But, please don't thank me, it's what being human is all about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 08:26 PM

465 posts, read 465,957 times
This capitalist system is so flawed.

A man with no money, is a man with absolutely no voice.

A man's self-worth is directly tied to how much money he has.

If you are unlucky enough to lose your money. You face desperation and alienation.

We need a major revolution.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,271,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
This capitalist system is so flawed.

A man with no money, is a man with absolutely no voice.

A man's self-worth is directly tied to how much money he has.

If you are unlucky enough to lose your money. You face desperation and alienation.

We need a major revolution.
You still have 1 vote just like I do.

--we need a major revolution--
Why? so all wealth can be evenly distributed?

How did that work out in Cuba?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,232,860 times
Some of you, are suggesting that Cash Hungry should go live in the woods. Based on Cash Hungry's statements, I don't think living off the land, is a first choice. I could be wrong about that, but I think that Cash Hungry, wants to keep a roof over his (or her) head.

Keep in mind, Cash Hungry, that local churches are the best places to turn to first, if you're facing homelessness. Church pastors, can intervene on your behalf, with your landlord. Many churches have reserve funds, to help those who are behind on their rent. Once, I had a church do this for me, when I didn't have a job, and was in arrears on my rent.

Also, churches are great resources for social services, that might be able to help you avoid eviction. Avoiding eviction, should be your number one priority now. If you can't avoid eviction, then you might appeal to a church, to give you room, board, and maybe let you do odd jobs, until you can get on your feet.

Hope that everthing works out for you.

Last edited by artwomyn; 10-29-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 02:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,087,462 times
I noticed the OP said that he didn't want to go to AZ, because he was "afraid he would be stuck there".

Well.

During the last depression, men would hop trains (like my grandfather) and go to wherever there was work to be had. When I say "hop trains", I mean that in the literal sense- they would wait until they slowed down, then "hop" on the back of it somewhere, and "hop off" once it got to where they were going to. Didn't matter if you were "stuck", you had to go to where the work was, or...well, starve.

We are in a state where I never imagined we would ever be, nor did I ever want to be- but the unemployment rate was excellent, so we did what we had to do. Yeah, we're "stuck" at the moment, and for who knows how long- but after being back in my home state of California a little over a year ago where the unemployment rate in the county we were in was 17%, thank God there was SOMEWHERE the unemployment rate was actually good.

I haven't read all of the posts on here, but someone offered to buy you a ticket to AZ, and someone else put up a link to a job working on a farm in exchange for room and board. You asked for help, and people are trying to help you- it reminds me of the guy who was in a flood, and sitting on the roof while the flood waters rose- a boat passes by, and offers him a ride- he says, "no, I'll wait for God to rescue me"....this happened three times, his response was the same, and finally the waters rise and the guy drowns. He's standing before God, and says "God...how could you let that happen to me?? I was waiting for You to save me!"....God looks at him and says, "??What are you talking about? I sent you THREE BOATS!".

I'm not trying to make light of your situation- it's a scary situation to be in, and I say that from having been there myself, and worse- we actually were homeless at one point- the thing is, you have to realize that getting yourself out of the situation is going to take changing the one you're in now- if you're waiting for things to fall into place the way you want them to, and according to what you "want"? You may be waiting a long time. Who cares if you "don't want to get stuck"- you will be able to more than likely find work-then you can worry about "un-sticking" yourself- you started this forum with the words "HELP!"---

So ok....people are trying to "HELP" you. It's up to you to accept the help.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,232,860 times
Hey mostie,

I haven't read anywhere on this thread, where Cash Hungry out right refused any help. He (or she), has been offered plenty of suggestions on this thread, and probably needs to figure out which one(s) will work out best. That's not refusing help, that's wisely taking things into consideration, before making any rash decisions.

I'm sure that Cash Hungry wants to make sure, that he (or she) doesn't go from the frying pan, into the proverbial fire!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 PM

465 posts, read 465,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
You still have 1 vote just like I do.

--we need a major revolution--
Why? so all wealth can be evenly distributed?

How did that work out in Cuba?
Haha! You really think our votes count? You really think the elections aren't rigged? You really think they just count our votes fairly and let that decide who gets put into power?

Well, I got news for you. It doesn't work like that. The election process is completely corrupt except on local levels.

And you realize that there are many, many different types of economic systems out there. It's not like you have to choose between capitalism and communism and that's all..... There are dozens of different variations and new systems can be created.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,987,417 times
Reminder: Discussions about the efficacy of the democratic election process belong over in Politics and Other Controversies forum. Thx

Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 PM

30,463 posts, read 52,182,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
The government claims that if you have live-in help, the person is automatically your "employee." BS I need help and I can't afford 16K a year AND board the person.

But I do have food, and a comfortable renovated space to provide to someone in return for services, but that's not allowed under our current tax code. I'm not sure about others, but the fear of having someone possibly "rat" me out to the IRS even 10 or 15 years later has kind of made me leery of implementing what would be a mutually beneficial situation.
There are easy ways around that... just offer the room for "rent" at a VERY discounted price, and have a verbal (preferably witnessed) agreement they'll clean/cook as a "favor" for the cheap rent. I've done something similar with former roommates, by asking them to pet-sit occasionally & discounting rent for that month. How would the IRS even know about that? I didn't own the home myself, so I guess it might be different for a homeowner - but either way I'm sure you could find a way to do this. I don't even think I'm suggesting anything illegal, since it's more like a helpful roommate than an employee.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:33 AM

10,419 posts, read 14,680,342 times
I spoke with a man from Chicago who told me that he made three to four hundred per week, CASH, selling Streetwise, a newspaper sold on the street by the ''homeless''. They're looking for vendors.

StreetWise (http://www.streetwise.org/index.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness