Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,228,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Join the Army.
I hope the OP realizes this may be the answer! If you go active army (and I understand they take you up to age 42), you'll have job security in the worst recession since the Great Depression.

Obviously, your choice and/or assignment of MOS is highly important:

Army Enlisted Job (MOS) Descriptions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,013,792 times
My son did and after 4 years of col ed. He is a comissioned officer now. His field was commercial art and everyone and their grandmother is into that. He earns enough to support a wife and child, and on leaves works as a carpenter, not any part of his field.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do these days.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:30 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,421,807 times
Wal-Mart is always hiring, so are the fast food joints. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,866,568 times
Cut out all vices and un necessary expenses now. Wake up early, go to bed early and stay up all day long, no naps. Clean up, haircut close shave, make your apt. spotless, stay away from others that aren't working, only hang with working people and make sure you are in someones face at 6.30 am Monday morning. Landscaping, any construction site, dept stores will be hiring for christmas don't get depressed if you are turned down for work just keep pushing forward. Show enthusiasim looking for a job is a hard job in itself.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:38 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,232,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Wal-Mart is always hiring, so are the fast food joints. Where there's a will, there's a way.

---Wal-Mart is always hiring-----

News to me. not in my area.
Not in the Supercenter 24 miles away
not at the Supercenter 24 miles the other direction
not at the Supercenter 45 miles away

( a neighbor was to all 3 last week )

Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,983,998 times
amtrak from chicago to flagstaff could be pretty cheap- it's a straight shot on one train. then it's easy enough to get to phoenix.

if i were the OP, i wouldn't want to be in either place. go wherever the harvest is right now.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 PM

854 posts, read 1,983,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I hope the OP realizes this may be the answer! If you go active army (and I understand they take you up to age 42), you'll have job security in the worst recession since the Great Depression.

Obviously, your choice and/or assignment of MOS is highly important:

Army Enlisted Job (MOS) Descriptions
just don't be surprised when they actually make you do army stuff (like fight battles in other countries).
don't forget how the last depression ended!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM

7,329 posts, read 6,955,344 times
At present you have a place to stay and keep clean , get out and test the waters for jobs you'v never done before , nothing wrong in learning a new trade . or several new trades.
I've been homeless and depended on help from others in the past , but these people knew me and knew ome guys can make it on the street, I knew a guy that lived in a cave for a while but no place is perminant, especially if you don't belong there legally.
Churches and thrift stores ae a good source of help , but on your part no matter how little the help is DEMONSTRATE Grattitude, not just words but a genuine smile of appreciation, if it's phoney it'll be the last, that person will be fooled in to helping some one. No one owes it to you, to be kind.
Easy to forget, very important to remember.
I've hitched across country , some bad some good rides some even scarry. back in 1969 . I wouldn't choose to do it again if I didn't have to . Living in the bush is not a tea party either, the more people ther are the less there is to harvest. if oyu have a secrit place you have been preparing all along , keep it secrit, the moment you give it up it is gone, You can't clame it , it doesn't belong to you. With the volume of drugies looking for something to sell, any thing you own(posess) is fair game . You can't turn to the police and they frankly don't care.
Recently I met a man among many,that is living out of his car doing odd jobs , mostly to keep gas in the car because if seen in the same place more than a nite or so the cops are on him.
Because of liability most people won't help homeless, fear of being sued. lawyers have a hey day with this. and th law doe not protect the home owner very well either. so most people I know who expirence a burgiler, shoot to kill . Breaking into a building to get out of the cold can be misinturprted justifiablly.
So you are going to have to work any way and maintain a place to stay, or walk on the wild side and discover life a whole new way. no frills.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,655,241 times
Quote:
skel1977....Im sure everyone can get a job. Fast food hires anyone. I see nothing wrong with working fast food if thats what it takes to survive.
then why can't my 59 year old Vietnamese friend get a job at MacDonalds after being laid off for two years in another job ? He would work it. His wife taught him how to operate a sewing machine and he worked briefly at a mattress factory. He would take anything.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,444,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I may have missed if you indicated which part of the country you're in, but here's a sample ad from my area to show that room-and-board positions are available on CL. You could try negotiating for minimum wage:

"looking for a farm hand to help, prefer to trade for room and board"

looking for a farm hand to help, prefer to trade for room and board (http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/grd/1914635095.html - broken link)
Do you know the problem with that? It's probably illegal--thanks to the federal government.

I would like to have an older person live with me (I have an extra kitchen, bath etc), and clean and cook etc rent-free. But according to the IRS, that person is a live-in employee.

Thus, I have to pay them minimum wage, put money into social security and unemployment for them OR risk being penalized (or even jailed?) for tax evasion/fraud. There is NO statute of limitations on this.

The government claims that if you have live-in help, the person is automatically your "employee." BS I need help and I can't afford 16K a year AND board the person.

But I do have food, and a comfortable renovated space to provide to someone in return for services, but that's not allowed under our current tax code. I'm not sure about others, but the fear of having someone possibly "rat" me out to the IRS even 10 or 15 years later has kind of made me leery of implementing what would be a mutually beneficial situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness