Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,659,306 times

Advertisements

A formerly homeless Utah man has used his insight to create and build “survival pods,” or mini-shelters, to be doled out to people who currently have nowhere to live.

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,236,145 times
Most people prefer problems rather than solutions.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
That's noble of him to try. He's earning Karma points.

I can see several issues. If they are being bought by cities to set up as homeless camps, they will have the same issues as any other homeless shelter. Unsafe, no pets allowed, supervision that many of the homeless don't want.

If they are to be given to the homeless, how are the homeless to move them around? Where are they going to park them? The inventor's idea of parking them on some land outside the city isn't going to be very popular with the fellow who owns that land and doesn't want squatters.

They contain toilets? Where is that sewage getting emptied?

I read an article where some city (New York?) was giving out cardboard boxes designed to sleep in. They tried giving out sleeping bags, but the homeless just sold them to get money for booze and drugs.

So either these shelters are for people who are just fresh homeless and have a place to park them and a way to move them, or they are for charities to buy and set up huge fields of them, with security and plumbed bathrooms.

The charities here lease or buy motels, so a field full of sleeping pods would be more economical.

The inventor, by the way, was never homeless. Living in his place of business is not qualifying as homeless.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 PM

274 posts, read 519,560 times
It this country we want our homeless people to be out of sight and out of mind. These pods are like giving homeless people big 'homeless person here' signs to carry around. The sight of a dozen of these parked anyplace there homeless people would normally sleep is going to have the the cops harassing them to leave the area.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:45 PM

531 posts, read 760,057 times
This problem has no solution.

Do you want to cut your paycheck in half to support homeless people.
No, NOT me, let OTHER rich people do it.

Do you want them in your yard?
No, park them in OTHER people's yard.

Let gonvernments do it.
So the gonvernments are getting fatter and fatter like Detroit.

So people walk away.
No, let's build Berlin wall around Detroit.

No, you may not build Berlin wall in US.
So let's milk more tax money to my pockets before it crushes.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,506,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
It this country we want our homeless people to be out of sight and out of mind.
This is true but the way things are going, they will become more and more visible, as there will be more and more of them. A 4' x 8' piece of land is more valuable than a 4' x 8' pod. With the first, you have control; with the 2nd, you don't. Our society has always had indigents, but with all the foreclosures, we now have people sleeping in their cars in the driveways of their former homes.

I know jobs are hard to come by, but that will only get fixed when the people decide to fix it. I think it is a mistake to give them 99 weeks of unemployment, then let them on SSI. Yes, we do need a safety net, but unless people get frustrated enough, there will be no civil unrest, which would correct the problem. We are allowing an underclass of chronic poverty to develop. No, the economy is not improving.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 PM

186 posts, read 362,781 times
I think that portable shelters were called "bread trucks" or station wagons, back before WW2. Nowadays, they are called "vans". :-)

Ah, could you point out some historical cases where "civil unrest" fixed problems of poverty/unemployment? :-) I"ll be waiting, but I know that such don't exist. We spent and fought our way out of the Depression, at the cost of future generations (ie, now, us) inflation and killing off scores of millions of people and destroying much of the civilised world.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:30 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,309,922 times
noble idea, for the homeless that want one...course they could never buy one. The city would have too many rules and regs if [they] did, so I seriously doubt they'll ever see much use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness