Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,968 times

Advertisements

In the past 2 months I have literally lost everything I had because of a divorce... I had full custody of my kids and have been fine for years until my exwife got a good lawyer and used personal journals that I wrote when I was in the military to have my children taken away from me..

I was in the Army for 11 years until I was injured.. there was a period of time before I was discharged that I drank a lot and was always very angry, there was never any violence to my kids or my wife (at the time) but I wrote everything down in a journal.. after my injury ex wife left me and our kids but about 6 months ago she decided she wanted them back and because of things I wrote in a journal 4 years ago I lost my kids..

soon after that my exwife had all of my utility bills transfered into her name (gas, electric and water) and canceled them all.. I couldnt get them turned back on because aparently thats completely legal, and I didnt have the money to pay the reconnect fee on top of what I already owed them.. so the house I owned (under land contract) was taken from me last month.. my bank account was in the negative so when I got my disability pay I only had 200 dollars left..

I started renting a room but cant pay for it.. ontop of all of this my car completely died on me a few weeks ago..

I am totally clueless on what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM

411 posts, read 905,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydub View Post
In the past 2 months I have literally lost everything I had because of a divorce... I had full custody of my kids and have been fine for years until my exwife got a good lawyer and used personal journals that I wrote when I was in the military to have my children taken away from me..

I was in the Army for 11 years until I was injured.. there was a period of time before I was discharged that I drank a lot and was always very angry, there was never any violence to my kids or my wife (at the time) but I wrote everything down in a journal.. after my injury ex wife left me and our kids but about 6 months ago she decided she wanted them back and because of things I wrote in a journal 4 years ago I lost my kids..

soon after that my exwife had all of my utility bills transfered into her name (gas, electric and water) and canceled them all.. I couldnt get them turned back on because aparently thats completely legal, and I didnt have the money to pay the reconnect fee on top of what I already owed them.. so the house I owned (under land contract) was taken from me last month.. my bank account was in the negative so when I got my disability pay I only had 200 dollars left..

I started renting a room but cant pay for it.. ontop of all of this my car completely died on me a few weeks ago..

Do you have a job right now?

Do you know someone who can take you in till you have a little bit of money? Possibly loan you a car?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,968 times
my family stopped talking to me when I joined the Army.. Ive tried but they definitely wont help me..

I don't have a job.. I have been looking but trying to find something that is available that I can physically do with my disability... not to mention if I go back to work then I loose my social security disability and if I start working and find out I physically can not do it than I am in a worse condition than when I started

Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
my family stopped talking to me when I joined the Army.. Ive tried but they definitely wont help me..

I don't have a job.. I have been looking but trying to find something that is available that I can physically do with my disability... not to mention if I go back to work then I loose my social security disability and if I start working and find out I physically can not do it than I am in a worse condition than when I started

have you tried to secure a loan from cash net or some internet loan service? They usually give you a month to pay back the money.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 PM

6,767 posts, read 8,656,488 times
Check with the VA Veteran's Services. They can put you in touch with a lot of resources to help you get back on your feet.

They may be able to get you into some housing, job training and maybe even some education. They have resources to match you up for jobs and medical help, or even just get you some hot chow.

You are a Soldier, adapt and overcome, keep fighting no matter what the odds because you will prevail.

The first rule of survival is a positive mental attitude. The ex wife wants to destroy you, don't let her. Get your feet back under you, get yourself back together with a job and then go after your kids.

Make your battle plan, pick your objectives, use the resources you have and you can overcome. The VA can get you counseling to help with the mental distress you are under, Use it. Get yourself straight. Don't let her win! You are a United States Soldier and a survivor, and there isn't anything you can't do, no objective you can't achieve!!

Illegitimus Non Carborundum Est

(Loosely translated as "Don't Let the Bastards Get You Down." )

Remember, every Vet is your brother and you can find all the support you need if you just ask.

Good Luck from an old Squid

Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Check with the VA Veteran's Services. They can put you in touch with a lot of resources to help you get back on your feet.

They may be able to get you into some housing, job training and maybe even some education. They have resources to match you up for jobs and medical help, or even just get you some hot chow.

You are a Soldier, adapt and overcome, keep fighting no matter what the odds because you will prevail.

The first rule of survival is a positive mental attitude. The ex wife wants to destroy you, don't let her. Get your feet back under you, get yourself back together with a job and then go after your kids.

Make your battle plan, pick your objectives, use the resources you have and you can overcome. The VA can get you counseling to help with the mental distress you are under, Use it. Get yourself straight. Don't let her win! You are a United States Soldier and a survivor, and there isn't anything you can't do, no objective you can't achieve!!

Illegitimus Non Carborundum Est

(Loosely translated as "Don't Let the Bastards Get You Down." )

Remember, every Vet is your brother and you can find all the support you need if you just ask.

Good Luck from an old Squid
I must admit I didn't think of the VA. That sounds like your best bet. I only mentioned the loan so that you could eat and maybe pay for your room until your next SS check comes. The VA is a wonderful idea.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,419,550 times
You can still work and still make some $$ and not lose any SS Disability.

There is programs out there to help you. You just have to know where to look.

brushrunner

Old 12-05-2013, 05:00 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,942,082 times
Quote:

That's a rough place to be in, man. I'm sorry to hear it. What you're going to have to do is get a job and start making a living. It will be hard especially with all of the emotional things going on but that will help you get back on to your feet and hopefully save some money for a good lawyer because you're going to need one.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,942,082 times
As a single guy you can at least get food stamps (but nothing else in terms of welfare) but it will take 1 month to process and you'll probably need a mail address and phone number but it is possible you could go down to the county office and claim you have an emergency need and maybe they can do something for you. Other than that the VA is your best hope so hopefully you've filed your DD214 with them and are in their system because they can't do anything for you until you do that. Once in their system they do have programs for homeless vets which can provide you with some temporary breathing room. Have you used your G.I. Bill yet? If not enrolling in a local junior college could at least get you some money coming in (on top of the disability) but the first step is to get in the VA system and to talk with a councilor.

All of those are temporary solutions though and really what you need is a job so you can pay for rent on a place and start rebuilding your life. Oh, and don't forget about the lawyer because either there is a lot more to this case than you've said or you did something stupid like try to represent yourself.

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 12-05-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,239,357 times
The VA is the best advice for sure. I know of programs at the Bedford MA VA that secure housing for vets, work, and therapy..
Make that phone call to your local VA..I'm sure you will find assistance there..Good luck..and please post back what happens..

I have some contacts in the VA system as i worked for em as a Sub for a few years..Your situation sounds dire and sometimes
a phone call can go a long way..be well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness