Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,031 times

Advertisements

We have three kids, two in the home, ages 15 and 12.

Our choices -

1. Send kids to California to live with relatives. Which would be my brother and mother. They both work full time and live together. There are two months of school left. I would worry about their grades and their ability to adjust. I'm not even sure if there is bus service or how they would get to school. I don't know how difficult it would be to enrol them. They would fly so my brother or mother would have to take care of it.

2. Stay in a hotel for two months.

3. Stay in a camp ground in a tent for two months.

I do have a job. I make about 2000.00 a month. My husband is unemployed waiting to see if he qualifies for unemployment.

I have 1500.00 cash on me plus 360.00 I would use for expenses (gas, food, ext.) Until my next pay day which is the 27th.

I would not stay in this area, rural Arkansas, once the kids are out of school. My job is not secure and I worry about losing it.

If I keep the kids until school is out I would then send them to CA for a vacation. Husband and I would move to Florida and save money to bring kids back after summer. I have a job in Florida I have worked at before making 2000.00 to 3000.00 a month.

It's a given we will lose everything, probably even the family pets.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
I would stay around until the kids get out of school. It would be too much of a disruption to send them to California right now.

Ask around to find out about a local church that is good to help people out who are temporarily down on their luck. They may be able to help you find low-cost of free housing for the duration of the school year, besides also maybe helping with groceries.

Since hurricane Katrina, our church has put in showers so that people who are fleeing hurricanes, or in some other such situation, can use them while they are staying at the church. Probably churches in Arkansas responded to Katrina in the same way. I would say a church would be your best bet for help.

I willl be praying for you to find what you need.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,031 times
Thank You for the reply and the prayers.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Stick around....lots of kind, friendly people come here and they will all try to help you the best they can.

I don't actually live in Arkansas, so I can't do anything hands-on to help you. Wish I could.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
What part of Arkansas are you in? Can your husband pick up part-time work, or can you take a second job? Can your fifteen year old or your husband mow lawns once the grass gets started? Could either or both of your children help people clean up yards, plant spring flowers, do odd jobs? Can you have a yard sale? Sell something on Craigslist or eBay?

Is there a food bank in your area? I agree that checking with local churches is a good idea - also, talk with your local government and with your children's schools to see if there's other assistance available. I expect your kids would qualify for free or low-cost lunches.

Can you give us more info about your present situation? Are you losing your home due to unpaid rent, unpaid mortgage, or is your landlord just kicking you out? Is there other rental property in your area to which you could move? Apartments? Do you qualify for subsidized housing? Ideally, you would do best to stay in your area until school is out, but living in a hotel/motel adds up, and a campground isn't great, either, especially during Arkansas springs, with the tornado danger.

Do you have access to a car? Two cars? If one is fairly new, would it help to sell it and get a cheaper car?

I hope some of these ideas will help -best wishes to you and your family.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I don't know where in AR you live but I am sure there are churches that, if nothing else, have food pantries that can help with meals. Our church has one, people are limited to one visit a month, but there are so many others avail that you should be able to get enough food to help you out.

The idea of hubby or 15 year old doing things like yard work it a great one. We had a lawn guy a couple of years ago in a similar situation. He didn't charge us much, did a decent job and it helped him get through the summer.

I would not move the kids right now. It would be a horrilbe adjustment for the older one particularly so close to the end of the school year. Going through rough times is hard enough for kids, disrupting them would just add insult to the trama...

Good luck and keep the faith..

Nita

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
If at all possible, keep the kids in their present school for the rest of the year because changing can be very traumatic. Been there done that - six schools in 12 years.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
I would think being homeless as a child would be more traumatic than living with family in California.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What part of Arkansas are you in? Can your husband pick up part-time work, or can you take a second job? Can your fifteen year old or your husband mow lawns once the grass gets started? Could either or both of your children help people clean up yards, plant spring flowers, do odd jobs? Can you have a yard sale? Sell something on Craigslist or eBay?

Is there a food bank in your area? I agree that checking with local churches is a good idea - also, talk with your local government and with your children's schools to see if there's other assistance available. I expect your kids would qualify for free or low-cost lunches.

Can you give us more info about your present situation? Are you losing your home due to unpaid rent, unpaid mortgage, or is your landlord just kicking you out? Is there other rental property in your area to which you could move? Apartments? Do you qualify for subsidized housing? Ideally, you would do best to stay in your area until school is out, but living in a hotel/motel adds up, and a campground isn't great, either, especially during Arkansas springs, with the tornado danger.

Do you have access to a car? Two cars? If one is fairly new, would it help to sell it and get a cheaper car?

I hope some of these ideas will help -best wishes to you and your family.
Yes, we need more information; not to be nosey but help with suggestions. Can you all move to a mobile home? Can you trade in a car and other items to live in a small affordable RV? Does anyone have an above garage apartment you can rent? Can your husband and child barter services for rent for a couple of months. Everyone who is able needs to pick up a job or second for now. Meals need to be soup based instead of full meals right now. If your 15 year works at a restaurant, maybe he could pick up some meals. Fast food restaurant throw away food everyday...fairly good food too.

Last edited by eyewrist; 03-15-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
First thing is to find a very cheap apartment, if your in a house and the mortgage is killing you walk away, $2000.00 month is possible not fun but possible. next is food stamps (like it or not your situation is what they were made for, not life time benny's like most people use them for), have your husband take any job available, sell any car with a payment or walk away from it and buy something old and repairable learn to fix it yourself ( youtube is awesome for this ) teach your husband to cook from scratch it's much cheaper. YOU CAN DO THIS, and you and your family will be stronger for doing it!

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness