Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,257,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
3. Stay in a camp ground in a tent for two months.
Well this would be MY vote, though I'd go with an camper if you can find one!
When we were faced with this situation, we lived in a friend's 30 year old 16 footer for about six months. Our kids were 9 and 11, though, so they took up less space...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM

157 posts, read 187,136 times
yeah, I been around, in and out, up and down and back and forth, quite a few times, actually.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,885,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyTurvy2013 View Post
I have read your replies and I appreciate your help. I can't rent an apartment because they would want a lease and my FICO score is as bad as Greece. I live in rural AR. There is very little work here. The cheapest motel is 605.00 per month. No internet, cable, local channels for about 6 hours a day. Mini-fridge and microwave. No kitchen. There is another, much nicer for 900.00 per month. Remember in two months I need enough money to fly two kids to California and relocate to Florida. I don't qualify for food stamps. And I've looked hi and low for an RV. I really do not think we could make two months in a tent.

I am leaning towards sending the kids to California. I'll talk to the kids.
1. It would be best to make a list of things that are necessities and those that are luxuries. Internet, cable, and microwaves are luxuries, though the internet may be a necessity if you need it for job hunting. You can do a lot of cooking on a camp stove as long as you keep it outside. Or, you can get by w/o a kitchen for cooking if you do have a little microwave but I won't answer for the nutritional value.

2. 2 months in a tent isn't as bad as it sounds and I've done it. It's only bad if you don't have anywhere to go in a really bad thunderstorm so it would be good to plan for that. What kind of vehicles do you guys have? If you have something big enough to sleep in, in bad weather then you're good to go and you guys may create memories that will be precious to your family in years to come--you may even remember it as the best time in your life.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:32 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,593,827 times
Housing is usually a lot cheaper in rural areas.

Our familiy lived on 1200 a month In a rural area during the worst of the recession.

I find it hard to grasp that the OP's family can't survive on the bare necessities on 2K a month.

That's more than I make now in an urban area and I have a nice apartment.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,130,338 times
My next door neighbor lived in a tent for 6 months, along with his wife, three kids and mother in law. He was able to save enough money to rent a house after he finally found a job, so it is possible to scrape by and save some money while living in a tent. If at all possible, I would do everything I could to keep the family together.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,671,679 times
What is the reason your credit is lousy? Has it been bad all along or just went downhill when you husband lost his job. What was your rent/house payment? Are you getting evicted or foreclosed on?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,497,756 times
First, my prayers for you and your family! This is a truly difficult situation, to say the least!

A few years ago, I fell and broke my back. My dh was living in another city (job related), and ds was with him. We considered sending dd to live with the "menfolk" but she really wanted to finish school where we were. I contacted a local children's home. They were geared to exactly that situation. They provided up to 60 days accomodations for children up to 14. They would provide transportation to/from her then current school. The girls lived in a cottage-type accomodation, it was quite nice.

We ended up not needing it, we worked out something else. My point is, perhaps there are some similar arrangements in your area.

Hotels could also be a temporary shelter. I don't know about your state, but here in TX they charge a very high daily hotel/transient tax, about $18%+. If you stay more than 30 days consecutive, they consider you a boarder and waive the tax. If you could take out a 30+day stay, it might waive the tax and thus reduce your costs. Also many such long-term stay places have online coupons, just do a google search. Sometimes the coupons can save 10-20%.

I wish I have more to suggest, take care, God Bless

BTW, is that $2000/month you make gross or net? Try to adjust your taxes so your take home pay is more.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 AM

32,797 posts, read 48,629,599 times
This what I would do. I'd pack up the entire family and move to the new job in Florida right now. Verify the job is waiting for you before you go.

If you are new to the area, but have a verified job, you should be able to rent an inexpensive apartment.

Your kids will survive the change in schools. Every military family does it once every 3 years and all their kids have survived it. Don't spend the money to fly the kids to California. Use the money as a deposit for an inexpensive apartment within commuting distance of that new job in Florida.

And gosh. Give up the idea that you deserve to have cable TV and a nice place to live.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM

32,797 posts, read 48,629,599 times
By the way, I'd tell that deadbeat husband to stop sitting around to see if he can get unemployment and get his butt out there and find a job, any job. If he won't contribute to supporting the family, I'd go to Florida without him.

He should be in Florida already, near your new job, putting in applications.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,293,461 times
Try posting on your local craigslist - maybe someone could rent you their basement cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness