Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 30,569 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much out of cash, no friends and family and no job prospects.

I'm a 35y/o male.

In 2 weeks, I'll be homeless if a job and a miracle does not occur.

I'm so suck and tired I can't stand it anymore.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 01:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,719 times
Do you already have blue-collar style self-sufficiency skills? You might try an ad on CL volunteering to be a handyman/caretaker for a small stipend in return for room and board or permission to live on-site in a small trailer.

I've also heard that banks and property management companies in some areas are so swamped with foreclosures that they can't keep up with maintenance and repair to get the houses back on the market. You might be able to present a workable proposal to be paid by the house and build up a livable income that way.

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head...

Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Hungry View Post
I'm pretty much out of cash, no friends and family and no job prospects. I'm a 35y/o male.
In 2 weeks, I'll be homeless if a job and a miracle does not occur.
I'm so suck and tired I can't stand it anymore.
HELP!
No family in your part of the country or no family at all?
Some churches may need work done around the property. Have you explored that sort of thing by asking around? How proud are you? School districts always employ custodians and that usually includes benefits. Perhaps in today's job market those jobs are already taken?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
School custodian jobs have many applicants everytime there is an opening.

Been that way for as long as I can remember.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:30 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,611 times
Would you tell us a bit more about your situation? Such as, what caused the run of bad luck you seem to be having? What is your profession? What skills do you posess, both job and survival? What general area are you located?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
You have posted this question in a number of cities and now posted a new question about which southern city would be best to be homeless in. No doubt in my mind, West Palm Beach Florida is the place to go. And, with storm season on us, there will be per diem work aplenty followed by a nice warm spot to spend the Winter. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
need more info, but a pm /Dm might be better. Only in that I lived off the land 3 years hurt, been right where you are before.

1 you will find out if anyone cares and who they are. 2 you will learn some harsh lessons about man kind. Expect to be taken advantage of more, a lot more, for any favors you ask for and get.

3 expect to be hungery. 4 get work any work you can get 1 hour 3, 1 day.

What do you do? What skill sets can you add, and if yer a dead beat loafer and just fell off the wagon yer dead.

There are 2 ways to live. For free eatting wild plants and any game and bugs you can find, or working and dwelling in the world of man kind.

Sometimes I feel like going back to the land, but if I do the next time will be for good. Either way it's a lot of work.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
need more info, but a pm /Dm might be better. Only in that I lived off the land 3 years hurt, been right where you are before.

1 you will find out if anyone cares and who they are. 2 you will learn some harsh lessons about man kind. Expect to be taken advantage of more, a lot more, for any favors you ask for and get.

3 expect to be hungery. 4 get work any work you can get 1 hour 3, 1 day.

What do you do? What skill sets can you add, and if yer a dead beat loafer and just fell off the wagon yer dead.

There are 2 ways to live. For free eatting wild plants and any game and bugs you can find, or working and dwelling in the world of man kind.

Sometimes I feel like going back to the land, but if I do the next time will be for good. Either way it's a lot of work.
In West PAlm, a homeless person is a person who has no flat screen TV and cable account.

This guy can skate on the public dole for a decade in Florida with free medical care, shelters, hot meal every day. HE asked for a southern city or I would have sent him to NYC where they put their homeless up in hotels. A homeless person in a US city who is hungry is a person who is too drunk to be admitted to the free food and shelter.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-22-2010 at 03:59 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Oh.

I was but for being injured on the job, getting cheated by AIG of back surgery, and ended up living in the National Forest illegally 3 years. I made birch bark boxs, canteens of that and split pine, pinned with hemlock twigs, sewn with basswood bark coradge and bee's wax, which I did buy. The canteens sold at 100 bucks each the boxes varried depending on size and shape, covered or not etc.

The injury caused a divorce, the combination ruined me a long while, but i got over it. The thing that sets me off is AIG was too big to fail, and I was not. Workers comp in NH isn't great.

Neither is the courts system. The court would mail me stuff the day of and sometimes that day after to summons me. I got their papers wet living as I did. I did maintain a post box which was 15 bucks a year at the time. Since it's 40 now I wouldn't again.

It was lots of fun to show up late for court because i didn't get the summons on time, and not because I didn't pick up the mail, but because by the post mark it was mailed after the hearings.

Once the court demanded I make it know to an officer of the court exactly where I was. It was deep winter and around -20 below. So I told them and made the invite for around 3AM so I would be in camp. No one ever came. I had camp fires for cooking, 4 of them depending. I had 2 under a light canvass roof, one for light and making coal, one for coals to cook. The other 2 were in a tee pee I had before all the BS began, One in a folding stove I wore out and replace with a used cracked box stove, and a fire that the stove more or less was the backing reflector for.

And OH! 1 more a barrel stove I made to cook off maple sap, I converted again with a flat steel plate and a big farm mail box as the oven.

never has 2 cents of welfare, while the court demanded I get it, welfare turned me down for no real physical address, and no utility bills as proof.

These days i don't worry alot about stuffed shirts telling me what I must do, and demanding money.

Currently the IRS thinks I made better than 18,000 more than I did this year, and all I really made if a laughable 5 grand. That's it! I really don't care much what they think they can do, and if they can do anything, chances are what ever that is would only improve my situation.

I grow my food so no dollars there. I supliment it with wild foods still. And I will eat what ever varmint it is in my garden as soon as I kill it. I just came in from being out there all night dozing on and off. Later I will get to work on a larger truck project for hire.

I have no idea what it is to be legally homeless. No one I know in NH likes to be involved with the system. I suppose there are, but I don't know anyone on it.

I don't mean to say I was never hungery or cold,wet and tired either because I was and a lot, but I managed to get by. I made a lot of other things and gathered yard sale tools which helped. I stored things I would need later that I already had. Mainly tools. The few people i did encounter for hired work would often comment I smelled like a BBQ LOL, and when they found out my way of living would ponder on how I stayed clean. I showered just like anyone else, but my shower was a hand made canvass bag to hold about 5 gallons of water. I would boil 1 and add cold to suit me and hang the bag in a tree. I showered quite naked before God since no one else was around to see. Well except my current wife after a time. She became the soul source of company and friendship. 1 person. Pretty much today she is still that 1. other people I will only get so close with. i tend to get a bit more friendly on line than anyplace else.

Each of the 3 years I changed locations as well. Sometimes I miss that way of life and do consider going back. I might one day. At first it was hard to be alone, but after a while I got used to it. These days I spend a lot of time alone too.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
I know how you feel. Even if you had family who says they would help you out. Im struggling big time but my family could care less. I have a horribly selfish step mother & unless you're her kid i could live in a box & she wouldnt help me. My father isnt much better cause he sides with her. UGH!

I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness