Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,232,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And a lot of CL jobs are scams these days.

I read CL for entertainment I suppose...saw a posting on there awhile back from someone who had offered a housekeeping positiion in their private home, a few hours a week, min, wage. Anyway, he/she posted thanking all of the people who applied, saying that there were just too many of them to be contacted personally. They got over 80 replies for a part time min. wage job. And other CL jobs around here are getting around 500 or so replies.
I've seen lots of those scam jobs, posted on Craigslist. I've found, that unless the company posting the job identifies itself on Craigslist, then it could be a scam. And, even if the company does identify itself on the Craigslist post, I Google it, go to the company's website, and see if they actually have an available job, that is the same as what they posted on Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,255,298 times
I don't know, maybe your Craigslist is different because it is probably in a big city, but our CL is a "very good" indicator of the job market. And FYI, I have gotten two jobs that way and the business where I am employed advertises all its jobs there.

There are also other job boards like monster.com that would indicate that there are jobs available in Chicago if you bother looking for them.

As for the OPs "ability" to work. If the OP is able to sit at a computer and type on CD, then he can most certainly sit at a desk and input data.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-13-2010, 02:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 37,024,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't know, maybe your Craigslist is different because it is probably in a big city, but our CL is a "very good" indicator of the job market. And FYI, I have gotten two jobs that way and the business where I am employed advertises all its jobs there.

There are also other job boards like monster.com that would indicate that there are jobs available in Chicago if you bother looking for them.

As for the OPs "ability" to work. If the OP is able to sit at a computer and type on CD, then he can most certainly sit at a desk and input data.

20yrsinBranson
Not, not a big city at all. I'm glad that you have gotten jobs that way. A lot of people have and a lot of legit employers do advertise there. But that doesn't negate the fact that CL has been targeted by affiliate marketers trying to scam people who are desperate for work. Maybe those postings are more prevalent in areas with high unemployment.

The OP doesn't appear to be a member anymore; I hope that something good happened for him.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 PM

948 posts, read 1,389,647 times
Go to Labor Ready. Hard work, suck pay but enough to keep you going with daily pay.
Labor Ready - LaborReady Home Page

Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 PM

5,067 posts, read 10,169,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Hungry View Post
I'm pretty much out of cash, no friends and family and no job prospects.

I'm a 35y/o male.

In 2 weeks, I'll be homeless if a job and a miracle does not occur.

I'm so suck and tired I can't stand it anymore.

HELP!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,232,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
The OP could be rejected for the military, for any number of reasons. Besides, he might not want to get shipped to Iraq, and risk his life in a war, that he might not even support. All he wants, is a roof over his head, until he can get on his feet. Joining the military, might not be a feasible solution for the OP.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM

5,067 posts, read 10,169,260 times
Yeah, I thought of that. I tried to get in once, but took some medication. They said, "No way." They suggested the National Guard. I didn't pursue it.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,504,938 times
Well...one thing is that this should tell people, you don't start looking for something when you have two weeks left. If you have not found a job, and still have enough cash for about a month...it is time for getting the dreaded..CDL, and planning to do over road, long haul trucking. The pay is bad, the work is worse, but you don't need to worry about a place to live, and it can help you out of a jam...Or, they are always hiring men to be CNA's, because older men prefer to have male murse assistants...you don't even need a cert, most nursing homes will take man right off the street, and pay for your CNA. Especially if you speak English...

Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,979,901 times
Default The OP hasn't been here in a while.

The last post by the OP in this thread was October 8 - almost a month and a half ago. We may just be talking to each other.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 PM

23,419 posts, read 29,327,455 times
There's lots of job offerings on Heaven.com, Hell.com and Purgatory.com, but all involve extensive traveling.

Both Heaven.com and Hell.com are always looking for investigators and detectives, doing extensive background checks on potential residents.

Purgatory.com is always looking for lawyers and paralegals.

And there's always more menial jobs listed on hell.com to help keep the fires going, chopping down trees, chopping wood.

Can't find a job here, go where the jobs are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness